Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times

Advertisements

I think many overweight men are delusional. I see so many who state "no fatties" while listing themselves as average. To me being obese is never acceptable and am livid when media shows fat men with thin but not the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,690 times
The double standard on the fat issue has been around for years. It does make me angry to see a fat guy complaining that his girlfriend has a muffin top. Being accepting of someone for their virtues, not their bust size or waistline, is a sign of maturity. So shut up and grow up, love them for who they are, not how they look.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
My sister has been obese for most of her life, but she married a thin, fit guy. When he started gaining weight after several years of marriage, she complained. He was surprised. She explained her double standard by saying that he married a fat girl and knew what he was getting, but she married a fit guy. She doesn't like fat boys. I think a lot of fat men have this attitude. Just because they are fat doesn't mean they are attracted to fat.

Personally, I like thin women -- sizes 2 to 4. I can find a size 6 attractive, but that's starting to get a bit chunky for my tastes. Women, people don't lynch me. I know these are very strict standards, but I'm being honest here. Thin and svelte with no lumps is what I like. I'll say this for myself, I keep myself in very good shape. I keep my body fat percentage around 10 percent and work out 6 to 7 times a week. I'd imagine that a healthy size 8 and up would have no interest in dating me because she'd think I would be too judgemental about her diet and exercise regimen. She'd be right. I don't want to be a fitness nag, so I have no interest in women who don't have high fitness standards.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Makes little difference if someone is obese, they are obese and face health risks, man or woman is irrelevant.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Fat is not acceptable for men or women at all. I was thin and I was fat and it is better to be thin. Guys do what I did and work the weight off. Get the fork out of your mouth and decide to give up sugar, fatty foods, salt encrusted, fructose induced foods and drinks. Get rid of them all. I did and feel so much more better about myself about life and have such a better quality of life now. I work in a hospital that is 8 stories plus a basement. A year ago I would get winded walking up the stairs. Today I can jog up the stairs from the basement to the roof and do it a couple times a day just for fun. What a rush that is. You are missing out on life if you are over weight. On top of that Obese individuals die at an alarmingly younger age than their thinner counterparts.

I can pick up a pair of my 36 inch waist pants and can't believe that those used to be tight on me. Heck I was more like a 38 inch waist and didn't want to admit it. I am now approching a 30 inch waste and loving it. My 32 inch pants are getting loose on me.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
i don't know about that. yeah, there might be a bit more pressure on women to be thin, but obviously many women also find it acceptable to be fat...as much as the men.

i don't care if a woman is 15-20 pounds overweight. on most women, it can look good. anything over that starts to look bad. with men, they naturally weigh more than women, so it can be acceptable for men to be about 30-40 pounds overweight. it's all about proportion. i was about 30-40 pounds overweight, but i was disgusted at what i saw in the mirror, so i took care of it. it boils down to self-discipline.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Fat is not acceptable for men or women at all. I was thin and I was fat and it is better to be thin. Guys do what I did and work the weight off. Get the fork out of your mouth and decide to give up sugar, fatty foods, salt encrusted, fructose induced foods and drinks. Get rid of them all. I did and feel so much more better about myself about life and have such a better quality of life now. I work in a hospital that is 8 stories plus a basement. A year ago I would get winded walking up the stairs. Today I can jog up the stairs from the basement to the roof and do it a couple times a day just for fun. What a rush that is. You are missing out on life if you are over weight. On top of that Obese individuals die at an alarmingly younger age than their thinner counterparts.

I can pick up a pair of my 36 inch waist pants and can't believe that those used to be tight on me. Heck I was more like a 38 inch waist and didn't want to admit it. I am now approching a 30 inch waste and loving it. My 32 inch pants are getting loose on me.
Whow, a 36 inch pant on a guy is fat?? My husband wears a 36 and I seriously doubt anyone would call him fat or even chubby...He's 5'10 though, I guess if you're shorter that might be different.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Whow, a 36 inch pant on a guy is fat?? My husband wears a 36 and I seriously doubt anyone would call him fat or even chubby...He's 5'10 though, I guess if you're shorter that might be different.
I'm 5'10", and I wore 36 inch pants at one point. I wasn't considered fat, but I feel much better with a 30 inch waist -- much, much better. I wouldn't go back.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotamkin_Renesmee View Post
I read this article today on Yahoo! News:

Critic Who Called Melissa McCarthy 'Hippo' Faces Backlash | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

I've noticed that, in Hollywood, overweight men don't get as much flack as overweight women do. John Travolta, Chris Farley, John Goodman, Seth Rogen and Jim Belushi are all overweight and they don't seem to stand under the same scrutiny that women such as Melissa McCarthy, Kirstie Alley, Adelle, Tyra Banks and Jessica Simpson do.

Why is it that society is so much more critical of womens' weight than mens' weight? Why is there pressure on women to be thin and "sexy" while men hardly experience any pressure on being thin but are still considered to be "sexy"? Why do you think this is the case?

Why can't society and people in general accept overweight women the same way overweight men seem to be accepted?
unless a person is really obise and that means 300 lbs or whatever, it is no ones business how heavy or thin someone is and there is no reason to think a man can be overweight but not a woman. Yes, we know it is unhealthy to be more than a few lbs above our ideal weight but sexy means something different to everybody.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
I can kind of see this thread getting away from the original topic of gender double standards and morphing into a general fat-bashing thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness