Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I dont hunt, but we do grow our own beef, and have a small garden.

Ive been doing CF for about 5 years I guess, and absolutely love it. I used to be into just lifting with built in cardio days yada yada yada. That stuff is for the birds. CF is just more fun, plus now all my lifting just consists of Olympic lifts.
Nice. I was more or less just starting trouble!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
I dunno. The whole Crossfit thing is so culty. Plus, any fitness craze that could result in this idiocy:

...not for me.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM

Everythiing is culty (westsidebb/powerlifting, olympic lifting...) Crossfit is just so different... it seems waaay out there for some. I do however, feel that it may be the hipster area of fitness though =D

Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
It's not fine.

Technique decreases over reps and there is a negative impact on that lift if the weight is too light.

A girl came into the olympic gym today after a CF workout. I overheard something like 60 snatches for time or 30 snatches for time. 30 snatches for time, after the third snatch if the person is doing it for time--especially an untrained individual--technique will be non existent and end up being muscle memory.

A guy that lifts at the olympic gym here now started here, went to CF for five months and it took him over a year to relearn the lifts.

I don't agree with CF and the high rep olympic lifts. I don't care that they do it--great, I won't be doing it. It probably wont injure anyone, but most people that start out doing a lot of high rep olympic movements, are probably decreasing their chances of having good technique if they did full olympic lifting. However, most CF'rs don't do full olympic lifting and if they want to do high rep movements, great.

I've seen a lot of CF guys and girls come in and out of the olympic gym I go to. Some last a few weeks, others a few months.. nothing more than three. It's an 'old school' type olympic gym--not much talking, no music, one coach evaluating the technique of all the lifters (at most 7 to 8). He is 1 of 14 (or 20) level 4 (out of 5) weight lifting coaches in the US. It's hard for him to teach the lifts to CF'rs that come in and go back to their CF gym to relearn bad technique, or even worse...come into our olympic gym after doing a WOD that wipes them out. It's not really fair to the coach (in my opinion) -- he doesn't necessarily do it for the money since he only charges 50$ a month (Which is nothing for a level 4 coach with ALL eleiko competition equipment).
Well for one thing most average CFers won't delve too far into the world of Oly lifting, therefore the low possibility that high rep lifts affecting their low rep lifting doesn't matter. But for us that do like Oly lifting, even while doing the occasional high rep workout, my lifts have only gotten better. And myself, and probably Hooligan too, are examples that form doesn't automatically suffer during high rep wods.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Nice. I was more or less just starting trouble!
I'm kinda the oddball born and raised southern boy.....don't fish, don't hunt, hates country music, and loathes jacked up trucks.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Well for one thing most average CFers won't delve too far into the world of Oly lifting, therefore the low possibility that high rep lifts affecting their low rep lifting doesn't matter. But for us that do like Oly lifting, even while doing the occasional high rep workout, my lifts have only gotten better. And myself, and probably Hooligan too, are examples that form doesn't automatically suffer during high rep wods.
I would say because their technique is usually so awful, it cannot get any worse from their high rep lifts.

I would say that you personally don't think your technique doesn't suffer--but have you been coached by a Level 3 or higher USAW certified coach?

I don't even do low rep olympic lifts when I'm not being coached (except for pulls). Every rep counts.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I would say because their technique is usually so awful, it cannot get any worse from their high rep lifts.

I would say that you personally don't think your technique doesn't suffer--but have you been coached by a Level 3 or higher USAW certified coach?

I don't even do low rep olympic lifts when I'm not being coached (except for pulls). Every rep counts.
I've been watched by a level 2.

It really doesn't suffer. Well the lifts that have good technique on....squats and deads. I don't do snatches due to prior shoulder injury(non cf related). The only lift that I still have some work to do is cleans. Some days I feel like is pretty good, other days it feels like I just started doing them. I'm just real inconsistent with them. Believe it or not, I use high rep low weight wods with cleans(whenever we do them) as practice. I'll gladly sacrifice some time to focus more on each individual clean.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I dunno. The whole Crossfit thing is so culty. Plus, any fitness craze that could result in this idiocy:

...not for me.

There are stupid people everywhere, participating in every activity. CrossFit is not immune.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM

387 posts, read 408,525 times
Is crossfit safe for someone who is very tall? serious question btw.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post

...not for me.
This guy should not be allowed to breed. What a numbskull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness