Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 AM

5 posts, read 5,309 times

Advertisements

Well according to me weight lifting is good workout for fat burning. This is my personal experience and i have burnt lot of fat with doing weight lifting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,444 times
Weight lifting does burn calories since your body is burning them while you are working out for energy and during the recovery phase when your body needs to start repairing muscles.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,874,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoneCode View Post
I would argue that weightlifting per hour does not burn more than 100 net calories, maybe 200 but that would be pushing it.
if you are only burning calories while you work out...you are doing it wrong..the goal must be to illicit a reaction in the body to ignite the metabolism so that you burn calories outside of the gym. Only burning calories in the gym is not going to do much, you have to be burning calories OUTSIDE of the gym to see real results.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,900,841 times
Lifting weight definitely burns fat, it permanently increases your heart rate. Perhaps you don't notice it being you have an increased appetite from working out and are eating more. I bet if you eat less carbs and primarily protein you will start losing more fat than you can imagine.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,773,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Lifting weight definitely burns fat, it permanently increases your heart rate.
What? Where did you hear this "fact"? That's ridiculous and defeats the purpose of fitness!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,900,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
What? Where did you hear this "fact"? That's ridiculous and defeats the purpose of fitness!
If not faster than stronger, it does more work in any case to service the muscles and increased oxygen demands.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:21 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,705,161 times
Weightlifting does burn fat, its just a matter of how intense your workout is. More muscle burns more fat!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,209,540 times
The amount of ignorance and misinformation from supposedly knowledgeable people in this thread is stunning. I'll leave it to you to figure out what is nonsense and what is useful and accurate info. I'm not anywhere close to an exercise buff, but I can see that the right answers have been posted, along with a lot of silliness.

I urge anyone to take what they see here and research it on their own rather than accept it as fact.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:38 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
I've always read weightlifting only builds muscle,not burn fat.
Thast why the experts are always saying to combine the 2.

Cardio for burning fat,lift weights for building muscle.

But hey,I could be wrong.
But think,if you were obese weightlifting wouldn't do a thing. I've known a lot of obese women who thought they could tone their abdomen. They did,but all the extra muscle did was make their stomachs bigger because the muscle they did build in their abdomen pushed the fat out.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:46 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,022,575 times
The theory that I've followed for a little while now is that you have to give your body a REASON to burn fat or it won't. That goes for weightlifting or conditioning exercises, the stimulus you put on your body must be fat-burning worthy.

So what does this mean? Well, ask yourself, does my bodyfat inhibit my ability to do the exercise? If the answer is no, such is the case with bicep curls, leg press, lat pulldown machines, then I'd venture to say that your bodyfat won't decrease with these exercises, even as you progress and get better at them. Why? Because you can still be fat and do these exercises just fine. These are pretty much strength exercises for individual muscles, the amount of fat you have (in the midsection/torso area for guys) plays little to no role in the movement, so it can just stay there as far as your body is concerned.

Now try doing pull-ups and push-ups and box jumps (at knee height and above), and I dare your body to not elicit a change in bodyfat (as you progress in the movements of course). I mean, you wouldn't be able to get better at these movements unless your muscle-to-fat ratio increased. This is what I mean by "forcing" your body to burn fat.

There is, of course, the whole diet aspect of all this, but I'd venture to say that if your diet wasn't in good shape, you wouldn't be able to progress at any of the movements I mentioned anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness