U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM

515 posts, read 968,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post

Like schmedes says, over training is if the body cannot handle it. Obviously the guy didn't start out doing this from day 1. For most of us it would not only be over training, but not physically possible.
hah just a caveat; he actually did jump right into it on day 1. He wanted to do the badwater ultramarathon but they wouldn't allow him in until he got some experience. 4 days later he did a 100 mile race and broke all the bones in his feet. He ended up finishing 5th in the badwater a few months later. This is also a guy who went from an aspiring football player at 290lbs to 190lbs in two months so he could become a seal.

Freak? Maybe; but how many times do we see incredible feats by people and just claim their outliers? Maybe he's just a normal dude who knows how to push himself, albeit not in the healthiest of ways. Anyways, good post from his wife on their blog

SHOW NO WEAKNESS: The REAL DEAL

Quote:
TUESDAY, MARCH 16, 2010
The REAL DEAL
Hi Everyone,This is David's wife, Aleeza. I have only ever posted David's health updates on here but I feel that I need to. So many of you read David's blogs and take them completely out of context! David is a man that hates to do these things, that is a fact. Another fact is that...yes...he does do them alone. Myself and many others support David in his races, however, he is always alone. He is talking about his mind, the thoughts, the miles he has to complete. He is not speaking of physically being alone, or spiritually for that matter. He is saying that when you are on mile 50 or you are at work and have a horrible day, no one can help you get past that in your mind. You can get encouragement and love and support all day, but the bottom line is...if you don't push through it mentally, you will never complete your mission.
And to those of you who post that David is selfish... David gives his life doing these things to help others and is the most grateful guy you will ever meet...but I'm sure you've never had a conversation with him have you? I have seen this man go through extreme pain and suffering because it may put just one more kid through college. I watched him break the bones in his feet during his first 100 mile race and I watched him **** blood on the kitchen floor after I drug him up the stairs and he passed out. Don't talk to me about him being selfish. I witnessed him run 24 hours, tear his quad and then keep going for another 24 because people had promised to donate money if he completed 200 miles in 48 hours. My husband is an old school man, many of which don't exist anymore.
Many of you that read this blog understand that David is not the average guy. Most people would not choose to put themselves through pain to raise money, but David knows that is what gains attention. He hates being on magazines, hates doing interviews, but he does it because he knows that it will help the foundation. Trust me, you won't see him much after the RAAM. This will be his last race. He has had a goal in mind of how much money he has wanted to raise for the foundation and that mission will be complete when he crosses that finish line.
Everyone seems to think that David is a paid athlete; I'm here to tell you he is not. He is a hard working military man that works well over full time hours and gets a paycheck every two weeks just like everyone else. We as a family have spent thousands of dollars in order to raise money for the foundation. I'm not writing this blog to give you our life story, I'm writing because I have seen several posts on the Internet and this blog lately that talks about David being selfish and that his wife mush hate him. The truth of the matter is... I couldn't be more proud of this man. He is a true warrior and takes that spirit into his life everyday.
David blogs to try and help people take on the challenges in their lives. Obviously some of you think that life should be fun and lived that way. David believes that if he isn't pushing himself to become a stronger human being, that he isn't living.
Those of you who take offense to what David says, shouldn't be on his blog. Maybe you will all understand when David finishes the RAAM and you don't see or hear about him again. And you sure as hell won't have to worry about him upsetting you by his blog posts. He has dedicated his life for the last several years to this foundation to raise a million dollars. Not for himself, but for the guys who died for this country that allow him the ability to do what he does in his everyday life.
Until you have witnessed David suffer through some of the pain that I have witnessed, you will never truly know what all he has done for others.
Instead of assuming how David's family life is...please feel free to ask questions. I'm more than happy to answer. And I don't mean what he eats for breakfast.
It's funny how people seem to think this is all a game. David has told you why he does it...to raise money, and test his limits. When you read his blog, a lot of you get what he has learned and are taking it on yourselves and becoming better people who have pushed to get outside of there comfort zone. Others just get upset.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 05:15 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,207,045 times
I am astounded that people call him selfish or that people think it's a game.

Yeah, running 150 miles is a game. Yeah right.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM

44,252 posts, read 61,372,034 times
Love to do it but rather spend my free time with my son.

An hour a day is good enough.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 AM

68 posts, read 146,467 times
Saw this thread come back to life and thought I would add my 2 cents. I give him credit, it is tough enough being a seal by day, and then do what he is doing to give back - kudos' to him.

And as someone mentioned in the thread, you have to be driven to be a seal, being a former Spec Op's guy myself, it was not unusual for us to run 5 to 10 miles a day, sometimes with our rucks (add 70 lbs) and our weapons to the mix. We also tended to hit the weights at least 5 days a week, I did 6 days, and add in all of the functional training you do 5 days a week, everything from working on urban assault, i.e. house and room clearing, zone work, etc or mission preps, and you had a very full day. I never did the cycling thing, just started that recently, but we would swim, beach runs, and some other crazy stuff that people in the world would not dream of.

So yes we are all crazy to a degree, and we did all of this for a very small paycheck each month, as we wanted to do something for our country. Many of our missions never make the press and if you look at a spec ops guys 201 file it is mostly redacted, we never did it for fame or glory, but we just did it. Give him the credit for taking it one step beyond what most of us ever could do, myself included. People all have their own limits and their own voices inside that drive them to do extreme feats, all I can do personally is thank him for his service and congratulate him and his extra dedication to give back outside of his service to our country though events that support his community.

Keep up the hard work and I for one wish you the best, stay safe

Ron

Old 04-21-2014, 03:56 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,062,339 times
ain't nobody got time for dat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness