Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,322,191 times

Advertisements

Car wreck 6 months ago. Grade 2 (whatever that means) separated shoulder. Sling for a month, then resistance band at home.

I started riding my bike again about two months after the injury and ended up steering home one-handed most of the time, icing upon arrival. But over time, less and less pain.

Unfortunately, the only lifting I did for a few months was 12-ounce curls, so I have a lot of work to do.

Specifically: I'm back in the gym for a month now, doing mostly close-grip work, Smith machine, not much dumbell work at all.

In certain positions and with certain movements, I get a lot of clicking in the shoulder and it just feels unreliable. At times I think it's just part of the rehab process, but it's been half a year now.

I am planning on going back to the doctor to see if they want to do surgery - - but has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Maybe this picture may help:

Separated shoulder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A Type II AC separation involves complete tearing of the acromioclavicular ligament, as well as a partial tear of the coracoclavicular ligaments. This often causes a noticeable bump on the shoulder.[4] This bump is permanent. The clavicle is unstable to direct stress examination. On radiographs, the lateral end of the clavicle may be slightly elevated by pressing on the sternal aspect of the clavicle forcing the acromial end down, and by releasing, it may pop back up eliciting a piano key sign due to the tearing of the AC. Severe pain and loss of movement are common.

Quote:
The trauma to the shoulder affects the ligaments holding the two bones—the scapula and the clavicle—together. This injury does not always involve bone fractures; however if the impact to the shoulder is severe, fractures may occur.
You probably should get an x-ray / catscan to see what your injury looks like now. It may explain your clicking.

Last edited by RD5050; 02-24-2013 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 05:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,627 times
Typically, clicking/popping and the like isn't a big deal unless there's pain involved. Also typically, I'd recommend free weights over machines.

But I'm not a doctor; I'd definitely recommend physical therapy rehab or seeing a sports chiropractor before doing surgery but if you want to slowly try some very light weighted things, check out these

T NATION | Shoulder Savers - Part 3
Scapular Stability: Building an Upper Body Foundation | DeanSomerset.com
How I Fixed My Shoulder Woes
T NATION | Smart Overhead Pressing
T NATION | Dumbbell Floor Presses for Strength, Size, and Health

Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
stay away from the smith machine from presses for quite some time. It's not as natural as a movement. Once you are fully recovered, give it a go, but for now, go with free weights.

Go light on the heavy presses, and focus more on doing flys and other isolation exercises to build the muscle.

Definitely do all of the important presses (bench press, shoulder press) just go really light and do higher reps and less weight. No need to be pushing its limits. I'm recovering from a shoulder/upper arm injury right now and on incline bench I went from 225 for 10 reps to just doing flat bench and 155lbs for 20 reps. I'm just getting back into it after a bit of a break and just focusing on full range of motion and fatiguing the muscle.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
GO see a doctor for a diagnosis and appropriate treatment!!!

When he refers you to a physical therapist, try to find one who is versed in neurokinetic therapy. So far, it's been the absolute best modality to help me on a very long rehab road. If you are interested, PM me, and I can refer you to a therapist in your area. (I never had a separated shoulder, but I do have rotator cuff issues, and I had a frozen shoulder...resolving through NKT)

Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
God, my rotator injuries (both shoulders, left more damaged) can get really frustrating. Last week I was shoulder pressing 70lbs dumbells each arm, which for me is a peak, and today I can tell that's just not within my physical abilities. The pain is too bad. It also mucks up my bench (though not incline freeweights, oddly).

Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I've got two from years of playing football. The one thing that bothers me is heavy military. So much so I abandoned it and stick to decline and lighter incline instead. I can still do heavy bench work but I avoid military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness