Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM

21 posts, read 65,816 times

Advertisements

It will be 1 month after this week of eating healthy and exercising and I'm seeing results, from 136lbs to now 126lbs, but my goal I had in mind is weighting 119 which will take longer and I wanted to last 12 weeks doing this, the main reason why I want to do it is since I'm going to visit family in another country, before this I was eating a bag of chips every day, honey buns, cupcakes, more snacks, a box of cupcakes during the weekend, more junk food so much that my stomach hurt, it's like an eating disorder, but the strange part about this is that even with the overeating I still am not overweight or even chubby, just normal, I'm 5'7 and now weight 126lbs, the reason why I started exercising was because I noticed my stomach getting bigger, I wwill complete the 9-12 weeks I'm sure since I really want to go to central america, but its like I've decided that after that I will eat back to the way I was, anything, anytime, I don't care, etc.... it's like in order for me to be satisfied with how my stomach looks I would have to weight 116lbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,655,052 times
you have the same disorder that everyone else does. are you a woman?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,820,590 times
Damn a honey bun sounds good right now.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 PM

22,652 posts, read 24,559,504 times
Chinese Buffet.................YUMMO!

Just eat good 90% of the time. On the other 10%, just try not to go TOO overboard.

So if you eat 3 meals a day...that would be about 90 meals a month. Try to eat about 81 meals that are outstanding......then you have 9 meals which you can eat whatever you want.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,634,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Chinese Buffet.................YUMMO!

Just eat good 90% of the time. On the other 10%, just try not to go TOO overboard.

So if you eat 3 meals a day...that would be about 90 meals a month. Try to eat about 81 meals that are outstanding......then you have 9 meals which you can eat whatever you want.
Good advice. Just have a "cheat day" where you eat whatever you want. I'd make it a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. On that day, eat chips, honey buns, whatever strikes your fancy. If it's a Monday or Teusday, and you really want a cupcake, just tell yourself, on Saturday I'm going to eat that cupcake. It makes it easier to resist eating it in the moment. When Saturday rolls around, you may or may not want to eat the cupcake.

When I started eating healthy, the idea of never eating junk food depressed me. I used this method, and it really worked. For the first few months, I'd eat like a pig on the cheat day. After awhile though, my cravings got weaker.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 AM

22,652 posts, read 24,559,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Good advice. Just have a "cheat day" where you eat whatever you want. I'd make it a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. On that day, eat chips, honey buns, whatever strikes your fancy. If it's a Monday or Teusday, and you really want a cupcake, just tell yourself, on Saturday I'm going to eat that cupcake. It makes it easier to resist eating it in the moment. When Saturday rolls around, you may or may not want to eat the cupcake.

When I started eating healthy, the idea of never eating junk food depressed me. I used this method, and it really worked. For the first few months, I'd eat like a pig on the cheat day. After awhile though, my cravings got weaker.

I don't really agree with scheduling a cheat day. I think it has psychologically negative effects on your relationship with food......some can abuse this day and/or obsess with the idea of a eating junk on their cheat day.

I would say the 90% good guideline is a good tool. And the other 10% of eating what you want.... should be WHEN YOU REALLY CRAVE SOMETHING away from your regular eating plan.......it should not be scheduled...only on an "as needed" basis.

What if one month you only end up craving a cheat meal once out of 14 days............but you have a SCHEDULED cheat meal twice a week...........are you going to eat the SCHEDULED cheat meal anyways..............YUUUUP!

And having a CHEAT DAY........uck, I think having one cheat meal then getting back on track is a lot better idea.

But hey, if it really works for you, more power to you!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This^^^ makes sense to me although I didn't use exactly the same method. Years ago when I lost a lot of weight, sometimes at the start of the plan the cravings just made me CRAZY. I would tell myself, "Just because you can't have that big bag of M&Ms NOW doesn't mean you can never have it," and I would write down what I was craving. It sounds nuts, but this worked probably 95% of the time. (I didn't have a "cheat day" early in the plan because I thought it would lead to a second cheat day and a third etc. and all my good work would go out the window.)

The interesting thing was, once eating healthier foods was a habit -- which in my case took probably close to a year, it was NOT a simple process -- then most of the cravings just went away. Most times, eating an orange or a bunch of grapes was just as satisfying as eating a bag of M&M's had been.

And I'm the type who for years had a Coke and M&Ms (yep) for breakfast every day. Then I would wonder why I had a stomach-ache every day too.

(And yes, I still eat M&Ms sometimes now ... the point is I don't WANT them in the same way I did years ago.)

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 AM

178 posts, read 355,156 times
Lol! I think everyone has the same problem. In my early days when I started healthy diet I had the same problem but what I did rather than leaving everything I want to eat or leaving the diet plan , I do eat junkies (pizza, burgers, cakes etc) but I reduce the quantity I used to eat. Cut the burger in two pieces have one piece put the other in refrigerator to eat it the next day

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,634,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I don't really agree with scheduling a cheat day. I think it has psychologically negative effects on your relationship with food......some can abuse this day and/or obsess with the idea of a eating junk on their cheat day.

I would say the 90% good guideline is a good tool. And the other 10% of eating what you want.... should be WHEN YOU REALLY CRAVE SOMETHING away from your regular eating plan.......it should not be scheduled...only on an "as needed" basis.

What if one month you only end up craving a cheat meal once out of 14 days............but you have a SCHEDULED cheat meal twice a week...........are you going to eat the SCHEDULED cheat meal anyways..............YUUUUP!

And having a CHEAT DAY........uck, I think having one cheat meal then getting back on track is a lot better idea.

But hey, if it really works for you, more power to you!!!
I went from 205 lbs (as a 5'10" male) to 150 lbs by using the cheat day method. It has been over two years now and I have kept the weight off. The cheat day worked well for me because the thought of not eating junk food made me very sad when I first began to eat healthy. I would look forward to the cheat day. After about three months, I was only donig a cheat meal -- not intentionally, I just didn't crave junk food all day. If I ate something junky, I'd want to eat some healthy food for the way my body felt even if it was a cheat day. Then, after a few more months, I began to not even want to do a cheat meal ... I'd just eat something junky here and there on my cheat day. Now, I do the 90/10 thing. I indulge in a reasonable manner no matter what day of the week it is, but I eat good, healthy meals most of the time. My body's cravings changed. Now, the thought of eating a bag of chips and a honey bun daily makes me sad. I'd feel awful if I did that!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,418,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman09 View Post
It will be 1 month after this week of eating healthy and exercising and I'm seeing results, from 136lbs to now 126lbs, but my goal I had in mind is weighting 119 which will take longer and I wanted to last 12 weeks doing this, the main reason why I want to do it is since I'm going to visit family in another country, before this I was eating a bag of chips every day, honey buns, cupcakes, more snacks, a box of cupcakes during the weekend, more junk food so much that my stomach hurt, it's like an eating disorder, but the strange part about this is that even with the overeating I still am not overweight or even chubby, just normal, I'm 5'7 and now weight 126lbs, the reason why I started exercising was because I noticed my stomach getting bigger, I wwill complete the 9-12 weeks I'm sure since I really want to go to central america, but its like I've decided that after that I will eat back to the way I was, anything, anytime, I don't care, etc.... it's like in order for me to be satisfied with how my stomach looks I would have to weight 116lbs
You won't succeed in fitness with a poor attitude like that. You make fitness sound like a temporary phase in your life and once its over you can do as you please.

Fitness is a lifestyle and a way of life, not a temporary phase. That said, like others have said you can give yourself a break with a cheat day once a week, without much harm done.
Junk food in moderation won't hamper your results too much, as long as for the most part you meet your dietary needs for your goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness