Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
This is the crux of the matter right here. I would never attend a class led by anyone who smokes. Her (or his) use of tobacco would conflict with any positive, healthy message they could convey.
Thanks for understanding....it's hard when you like the instructor and have been involved with the class for some time, yet feel uncomfortable with certain aspects...hard to put into words... but I think you "got" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Native shamans and priests smoke to encourage spiritual enlightenment. Our society may frown on it, but that doesn't mean smokers are not spiritual.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM

17 posts, read 35,796 times
It would be best if the yoga teacher has no vice, who doesn't smoke and drink too much alcohol as he or she teaches a good way of living and it doesn't makes sense that you can see him or her doing those things that could contribute to an unhealthy one.

It is it good quit? It depends, if he or she has a good class it is okay, it is on our will and decision.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0psimathia View Post
Ok rude I smoke and I don't have a nasty smokers voice.
Troll - fake profile

Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Books, DVDs and YouTube videos work if they are used in conjunction with attending an acutal class taught by an actual qualified and certified yoga instructor. Or, if you have a few years experience already in a particular form/type of yoga and already have a good understanding of the foundation/basics.

People who know yoga (like me) say find any other instructor to learn from because that gal is obviously NOT a true and qualified yoga instructor.

People who know jack diddly squat about yoga will say "oh dont hold it against her", or "dont be so high and mighty with your high standards.....blah blah blah......".

Taking yoga classes from a smoker is like going to dental school being taught by monkeys.
Taking yoga classes from a smoker is like going to confession at whorehouse.
Taking yoga classes from a smoker is like taking brazilian jiu jitsu lessons from Ghandi.
Taking yoga classes from a smoker is like getting tax and estate planning advice from a blind kid with Downs syndrome.

If the OP or BigDgeek wants to stretch, then just go do pilates, but yoga is soooooooo much more complex than that. But if you folks dont want to bother understanding the principals, history, philosophy and deeper meanings of yoga, then fine, but it still doesnt make it okay for someone like who the OP describes to be a teacher of the art.
Wow, coming from an expert yogi I'm surprised you would say or think that. Obviously you know nothing about pilates if you think it's just stretching (and ironically yoga has more stretching poses than pilates). Makes me question your credibility overall.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Because I hope for a teacher I can learn from--who is as--or more--along the path of enlightenment than I am. Yoga is more than exercise to me, it's a spiritual practice, too.
Okay, got a chuckle out of that.

I'm in it to enlighten myself. That f---ing skank bi--- has the audacity to f---ing smoke.
Obviously got a ways to go there.

Pick you vice, and there's someone who's got a militant objection to it in the yoga world. Smoking, coffee, meat, alcohol. Maybe it's just not my type of spirituality. If someone wants to smoke, have a cup of coffee, and eat a fish, I don't see the big deal. I'd more look at the whole picture. Which is to say, I think its bunk that eating a cheeseburger will throw one into a murderous rage and incite animal tendencies. Since I think that's bunk, I think the rational behind a vegetarian diet is bunk. To each his own.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-23-2013 at 07:35 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NO....no way, I will not associate with ANYONE who participates in that filthy habit. And yes, most of them STINK.

LMFAO..........do you smoke "flavored" filtharettes(Camel, Kool, Newport, Marlboro Menthol..etc), I hope you realize just how badly you REEK.

Most of those who smoke are grateful that some humans do not wish to "associate" with them, it makes their lives much more calm and relaxing.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:34 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Continually being disappointed and offended that otherwise excellent human beings have a vice or two is a great way to NOT get the most out of life.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:53 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Most of those who smoke are grateful that some humans do not wish to "associate" with them, it makes their lives much more calm and relaxing.

Good, now it these stinky people would just quit standing right next to the entrances to business that I have to use!!!!!!!!

And stop throwing your filthy butts anywhere and everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,973,860 times
^Stop throwing your unnecessary exclamation points everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness