Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:12 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes, or no--would you continue to go to a yoga class with a yoga teacher who smokes (and has a smoker's cough)? I personally like this teacher and her class, but am conflicted on her smoking habit..should I be? Would you?
Why not just encourage her to quit?

Thai Health Promotion Foundation- Smoking Kid - YouTube

The Smoking Yogi | Temple Yoga
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Because I hope for a teacher I can learn from--who is as--or more--along the path of enlightenment than I am. Yoga is more than exercise to me, it's a spiritual practice, too.
You seem to imply that smokers are "unenlightened".

Why is that?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Darn it, I was hoping that this was thread about yoga instructors who were, well -- you know -- smokin'!
Even if I had a problem with a yoga instructor who smoked, the fact that she was "smokin" would override most any other issues.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
. With the responsibility of becoming a teacher/instructor/flame bearer of any art form, you MUST hold yourself to a much higher standard and lead and teach your students by example and not fire up some Camels after you complete your savasana.
Camels? Naw go for quality - Marlboro Red's.

Quote:
In fact, here's a simple and honest question to ask your smoking yoga instructors: As someone who has made the transition, and graduated from a yoga practicioner to someone charged with leading and teaching others about the art as a titled and (hopefully certified) instructor, how do you explain applying yama, niyam, and pranayama into your life while still choosing to fill your body with horrible toxins from smoking, AND how to you explain doing this while knowing how harmful the second hand smoke is to others and our planet? My guess they would answer something like "Yama what now?" "Pranayama-what?"
You would be asking a presumptious question.

They may not think that second hand smoke is harmful, and while we are on the topic, how is second hand smoke harmful to the planet?

Old 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
What if she smoked, but you didn't know it?

Or do the more "enlightened" have some sixth sense that the rest of us poor slobs aren't privy to?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
. Im not saying this is your smoking yoga friend, but because of the right leaning southern christian everything Jesus mindset that many have, they often make a conscious choice to avoid learning new things like yoga. The ignorant choose to think that a lot of that spiritual mumbo jumbo thats in yoga is in direct conflict with their christian values (which is ridiculous) so they dont want to know anything about it. They just learn movements then, later, they call themselves instructors.
It is Hindu spiritual practice. I would say that is in rather stark conflict with Christianity where Jesus is considered to be "the way, the truth, and the life" - not Vishnu or Brahma.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And smoking is a problem how?

Do you also need to know what she eats and drinks, and make an opinion of it? Will that large greasy pizza she consumed with a large coke not allow you to be enlightened?
No, but I know I would be disinclined to take a class from a yoga teacher who ate to the point of obesity.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 36,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
No, but I know I would be disinclined to take a class from a yoga teacher who ate to the point of obesity.
I wouldn't even go as far as obesity. Some people can eat junk food and sodas and still be really thin, but I would not go to a personal trainer who ate nothing but candy all day, even if she was fit. It contradicts the healthy living she's trying to promote.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:50 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Smoking doesn't seem like it really goes with the whole yoga philosophy, so I get what you're saying. But if you like the class and you like her as a teacher, then maybe just try not to think about it. Smoking is gross, but it's not like she's lighting up a crack pipe during class.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM

17,370 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What if she smoked, but you didn't know it?
If it wasn't obvious in class (no smoker's cough, no cigarette smell, no mention of it), I wouldn't care because I would not know. I don't expect the instructors to be above reproach but I do expect some professionalism from them. I would have a hard time learning relaxation techniques from an "in your face" smoker. I just would.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-28-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness