Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

So today reminded of me of several of my workout days where I'm simply exhausted and nauseated and a little dizzy at the end. Enough so that the idea of immediately downing something to feed my muscles is really off-putting.

What do y'all do on those days? I find that the more cardio I incorporate in a lifting day, the more inclined I am to have a very suppressed appetite. For example, I did weighted squats today, but I also threw in some high knees and some squat jumps.

I know that a few hours from now I will be absolutely ravenous (and I will plan for that by having good stuff around then), but how do y'all choke something down in that first half hour or so that supposedly is so critical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
Drink a protein drink. Mix it in 8oz of liquid and slug it down. It only takes a couple of gulps, much easier than eating something.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Chocolate milk is good for a quick recovery. Also, it's important to feed your body before you go into such an intense routine. I'm not talking about right before you work out, but have something (protein, healthy carbs, some fat) a couple of hours before you work out. I never work out to the point of feeling sick/dizzy - and I can do a fair amount of cardio...

Make sure that you're progressing at a good level for you. Too much, too soon can be counterproductive. And be sure that you are staying *hydrated* during your work out - very important.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Yeah. I usually eat an hour before - something with a little carb and protein.
I drink a LOT of water during my workouts. I just drink a lot of water, period. The only thing I drink is water, coffee (one cup only), and scotch (and that's nowhere near a workout).

The protein drink is sweet...and anything sweet is the last thing I want in my mouth after my heart rate is up. I don't know why. I have been doing that - it's the best tasting post-workout drink I have ever had, but it's tough to get down. I also blend it with ice - the coolness helps it go down more easily.

The sick/dizzy is AFTER the routine usually, and on days where there is a lot of big muscle groups (leg day is notorious and sometimes if we do core and back or something like that in the same day).

I do find (like right now) a couple of hours later, I am TOTALLY JAZZED. Which is great, because I'm headed in to work now and I stand and run around a lot at work.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Maybe try drinking Gatorade during your workouts instead of plain water? How is your heart rate recovery after you get your heart rate up during cardio - ie: how long does it take for your heart rate to drop back down?

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-01-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 01:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
Doctor check up. That is not normal. There is something going on with heart strain, hydration,blood sugar or "cool down" practices. Better to be safe than sorry with that.

If all you drink is water you could also be over doing that too which can lead to an electrolyte imbalance just as dehydration can.

Have you ever tested your blood sugar when that happens? Used keto sticks?

You are not suppose to refeed during a maxed out heart rate. You do your cool down and return to normal first.
This sickness that you feel could just be you are not cooling down properly.What do you do?

If I don't want sweet, I like nuts & water for on the go.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Totally a guess....but I think that you might be doing too much too soon with your cardio. People (especially guys - sorry, but true!) tend to forget that cardio conditioning takes time and you've got to be careful not to rush things.

You should not be getting dizzy or nauseous during or after your work outs. Your body is telling you something...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Maybe try drinking Gatorade during your workouts instead of plain water? How is your heart rate recovery after you get your heart rate up during cardio - ie: how long does it take for your heart rate to drop back down?
Less than a minute.

I have perhaps overstated how dizzy or nauseated I am.
Just the thought of food is very not appealing. But I don't feel like I am going to throw up or anything.
And I'm perfectly fine walking around, etc.

Nothing new - working out intensely for over a year. See doc regularly because of my thyroid, and I'm a doc as well, anyway.

Sounds like the answer anyway is to slam down some protein shake and just suck it up.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
a protein doesnt have to be sweet. i buy unflavored whey isolate, and i add things that i want to add. alone, it takes like a watered down milk. i add skim milk powder, nestle quik powder and instant coffee. you can add whatever you may enjoy. i do one scoop and only add maybe 6 ounces of water and knock it back in a few seconds.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:59 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,586,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So today reminded of me of several of my workout days where I'm simply exhausted and nauseated and a little dizzy at the end. Enough so that the idea of immediately downing something to feed my muscles is really off-putting.

What do y'all do on those days? I find that the more cardio I incorporate in a lifting day, the more inclined I am to have a very suppressed appetite. For example, I did weighted squats today, but I also threw in some high knees and some squat jumps.

I know that a few hours from now I will be absolutely ravenous (and I will plan for that by having good stuff around then), but how do y'all choke something down in that first half hour or so that supposedly is so critical?
I buy one of those 50 gram protein drinks most gyms have for like 4-5 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness