Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
...Nor do they have the luxury of criticizing people on the internet for enjoying something which they do not.

FWIW, I can enjoy working out harder with the right music in my ears...how can you not get pumped listening to Ted Nugent belting out Stranglehold or Ozzy screaming Secret Loser?
Props on the Jake E Lee era Ozzy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 04:02 PM

238 posts, read 315,509 times
I only use my iPod at the gym in my complex. The TV is too distracting, but for some reason, listening to music helps me focus more on working out. I even have a workout playlist that keeps me motivated. I also work out at Curves, where I just listen to the music over the speakers, while I do the circuit.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,120 times
Well if you're in the People's Republic of new York, you're gonna have to keep the volume down!

Cranked-Up Earbuds Next On Mayor Bloomberg’s Health Hit List « CBS New York

Old 03-07-2013, 02:26 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,206,886 times
reasons why i listen to earphones at the gym:

-motivates me to push myself harder with music i actually like
-people are less likely to talk to me(not a people person)
-the music they play at the gym is absolute ****
-i generally like to listen to music even when i'm not working out
-time seems to go by faster

Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
I agree with all the above posters who said that music motivates them and helps them get in "the zone." I'm the same way. But there's an even bigger reason I use earbuds: Chattering parrots at the gym! Some of these people (typically young women) come in pairs, get on machines that are next to each other, and just chatter away nonstop -- usually in a language I don't speak. These chatterboxes are so loud and so shrill that when they're anywhere near me, I can't concentrate. I really need to have to have music to drown them out.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
How many of you have noticed this? It seems that most people nowadays can't workout unless they have an mp3 player in their ears. I remember back in the day seeing a very few people carry a walkman, a cd player or small radio strapped around their arm but ever since the mp3 and Ipod came out it seems like everybody jumped on the bandwagon, befrore it wasn't an issue people trained fine without them. Do you use one? I wonder if some people use them just as a fad, or if that is other peple's subltle way of saying "don't bother me". I personally love some music in the background to workout but I don't want it right in my ears.
I need the music in my ears. First of all, I have songs on my iPod that are all different speeds, so I have warm up music, fast songs, really fast songs, cool down songs, etc. Also I don't like a lot the songs that play on the gym speakers. I am someone who exercises but wishes I didn't have to (especially cardio) and I need to zone out to some extent to get through it, and having the music in my ears helps with that.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,214,787 times
I would estimate that 80% of the people at my gym are addicted to their mp3 players and phones, I don’t think most of them could manage without. The only time it bothers me is when they are sauntering around from one piece of equipment to another and I need to ask if they are using this and that, the other time it bothers me is when they start singing along.

I personally think music is a crutch of sorts for working out, I believe that motivation to work hard should come solely from your thoughts. I also do not like having a dependence on something to workout. The only time I will occasionally use music is for cardio. It is usually monotonous, boring and easy so it can be pleasant to have something to distract me from the workout. Other than that I NEVER use music when lifting, I need to be in tune with my body and aware of my surroundings… the music detracts from that. I also need to listen to my spotter if I have one, that and we are constantly discussing form, techniques and the like. Most of the serious weightlifters I see and workout with don’t use headphones.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,452 times
Its really weird to workout without music. The gym has music on the PA but it usually sucks lol

Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I would estimate that 80% of the people at my gym are addicted to their mp3 players and phones, I don’t think most of them could manage without. The only time it bothers me is when they are sauntering around from one piece of equipment to another and I need to ask if they are using this and that, the other time it bothers me is when they start singing along.

I personally think music is a crutch of sorts for working out, I believe that motivation to work hard should come solely from your thoughts. I also do not like having a dependence on something to workout. The only time I will occasionally use music is for cardio. It is usually monotonous, boring and easy so it can be pleasant to have something to distract me from the workout. Other than that I NEVER use music when lifting, I need to be in tune with my body and aware of my surroundings… the music detracts from that. I also need to listen to my spotter if I have one, that and we are constantly discussing form, techniques and the like. Most of the serious weightlifters I see and workout with don’t use headphones.
Great line of thought. This sounds pretty much like me.when I go to the , music is the last thing on my mind I don't even hear it on the background most of the time I tune it out. I can't focus with all that noise in my ears. When I do deadlifts I try to do thenm at home because I can have total silence for my last set. If you notice in the olympics during the weightlifting competition there is total silence so they can concentrate on the lifts.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I agree with all the above posters who said that music motivates them and helps them get in "the zone." I'm the same way. But there's an even bigger reason I use earbuds: Chattering parrots at the gym! Some of these people (typically young women) come in pairs, get on machines that are next to each other, and just chatter away nonstop -- usually in a language I don't speak. These chatterboxes are so loud and so shrill that when they're anywhere near me, I can't concentrate. I really need to have to have music to drown them out.
Yeah I feel you, the endless "Brah, Brah hey Brahhhhh real talk I was soooooo wasted last night" and "Ohhhh my Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawd, like OMG wow like look at her outfit OMMMMGGGGGGGGG" is just about as bad as the horrible music played at my gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness