Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,717,403 times

Advertisements

Just some primal observations I have made while tracking my weight. Some weeks I exercise more than others and have noticed that as long as I watch what, when, and how much I eat I usually can at least maintain or slightly decrease my current weight.

However, on weeks that I exercise and more or less watch how I eat, all the results are for nothing if I decide to partake if a few brewskies that night. Drinking beer can literally cause me to lose a whole months worth of weight loss in one carefree weekend.

This whole beer belly thing is no joke! Anyone else notice similar results when consuming alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM

16,890 posts, read 16,161,193 times
I've lost weight before with diet and exercise even when I was still enjoying wine once a week.

But last December I decided to do without alcohol for a couple of months to see if I would lose weight any faster.

And, so far, the results haven't been all that clear. I did have wine last weekend and the next day or two I "weighed heavy" but by mid week I was back to where I was and losing again. So if the alcohol slowed my weight loss down at all, it was probably by a couple of days, certainly not by weeks. Of course, if I did that often enough those "couple days" would start to add up...

Probably best to limit alcohol while your in the process of losing weight.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,670,138 times
Its called being bloated and yeah it always happens to me the day after. You should not be drinking if you are trying to lose weight though.

I hope you are not drinking thousands of calories of beer... 3500 for a lb of real weight gain.

Alcohol and Weight Loss

^^^ tells you why its slowing you down a bit too beyond the bloat thing.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Just some primal observations I have made while tracking my weight. Some weeks I exercise more than others and have noticed that as long as I watch what, when, and how much I eat I usually can at least maintain or slightly decrease my current weight.

However, on weeks that I exercise and more or less watch how I eat, all the results are for nothing if I decide to partake if a few brewskies that night. Drinking beer can literally cause me to lose a whole months worth of weight loss in one carefree weekend.

This whole beer belly thing is no joke! Anyone else notice similar results when consuming alcohol.
It's not "consuming alcohol" per se -- it's the beer specifically. Alcohol itself does not cause weight gain, though it can certainly inhibit weight loss. Even though alcohol is very calorie-dense, it's not converted and stored as fat; however, the process of metabolizing it and flushing it out of your system is energy wasted that could otherwise be used to reduce fat stores.

Weight gain associated with higher alcohol consumption is the result of other ingredients, such as the sugar content of liqueurs and mixers, the residual sugars found in wine (particuarly sweet varieties), or in the case of beer -- the malt. Virtually nothing is more effective at producing rapid weight gain as malt. Actors/actresses who need to gain weight for a role will often use malt to do it.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,102,725 times
Alcohol, in some ways, can cause a weight gain. It's a litle complecated, but this is basically what happens. Alcohol is ready to be absorbed into the blood stream. It does not have to be digested, go through the stomach, etc. Therefore, 100 calories of alcohol is used before the 100 calories of stored fat. It doesn't have to be broken down in order to be available for energy or cell repair.
Sooo, what happens is that you use the alcohol instead of food calories, which are therefore stored as fat cells.

Cut out the alcohol, and your body uses the food calories or stored fat instead.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,717,403 times
That's why I have almost cut out alcohol completley. Wine, at least is not as bloating as beer with some real health benefits!

Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,367,401 times
I refuse to cut out wine. I will cut out anything else except it.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,593,040 times
I agree, but my wife has our aerator, and we will be apart for another four months!

So for now, I'm rediscovering beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I refuse to cut out wine. I will cut out anything else except it.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,761,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I agree, but my wife has our aerator, and we will be apart for another four months!

So for now, I'm rediscovering beer.
Why do you need an aerator to drink wine? Plenty of wonderful wines that do not need to be aerated.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,593,040 times
For reds, which is what I prefer, they ALL taste much better after going through that device. I'm sold. There is no going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why do you need an aerator to drink wine? Plenty of wonderful wines that do not need to be aerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness