Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
lol

Yea the human body was not designed to pick up objects off the floor

I think he may be a PR rep for Planet Fitness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
As I said in a previous reply, be safe first and foremost, I started deadlifting when I was in the late 80's and stopped for a while and then started again and to this day I only hutt myself once and it was 21 years ago. I was my own fault for not having good form, I was in the gulf war and didn't have a belt and was young and dumb so I deserved. However the injury was not severe I pulled my lower back and it hurt for a couple of weeks and the discomfort made doing other things more difficult still I was in the Army and had a job to do and went to work every day for 12 hours shifts. That minor injury did not stop me from working out either. That was the only time it ever happened and that was 22 years ago I have never had anymore problems with the deadlifts so I beleive it is a great exercise as long as it is done properly and safely.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:35 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,003 times
I never use a belt any more when I squat or deadlift. Honestly I never see anybody else using one any more either. I think I gave mine to Goodwill a long time ago.

Did a 5x5 routine with 315 yesterday. That got the testosterone going.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
UrbanAdevnturer wrote: I never use a belt when I squat or deadlift.

Just the opposite here. I put my belt on when I get into my car to drive to the gym, and I don't take it off until I get into my car to drive home. Only a small percentage of the people in my gym wear belts, mostly the hardcore lifters and bodybuilders who lift some nasty heavy weights. I wear it not because of lifting heavy weights, but mainly to protect myself from further injury to my lower back.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
UrbanAdevnturer wrote: I never use a belt when I squat or deadlift.

Just the opposite here. I put my belt on when I get into my car to drive to the gym, and I don't take it off until I get into my car to drive home.
Well I do have a belt that holds my pants up that stays on the entire time too. I'm one of those guys that wears casual shorts at the gym. I hate wearing gym shorts and not having any pockets to put my crap in.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Friend, hear me out. As a guy who is 58 and does very well, and started weight lifting at 27.

Who, also, happens to be a Licensed/Certified Orthotist.

QUIT DEADLIFTS IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Those are one of the worst known exercises that directly damage lower back. I spoke, will be chastised, but I made you aware!!

Do leg presses instead, on reverse leg press machine. WITH YOUR BACK SECURED ON THE PLATFORM. As of the core strength for your lower back, which is extremely important, do either well exercise, or use dedicated machine they should have at your gym.

Once again, do NOT deadlift. You were warned.
My back problems went away WHEN i started deadlifting. Granted, I started with pathetically low weights and worked on form and gradually worked my way up. I think it's a great excercise- even if you are only doing low weights.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
^No such thing as a pathetically low weight. Strike that concept from your thinking.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:50 PM

I started with 135 pound sets a couple years ago and my lower back muscles were ringing. It's amazing how weak those muscles are if they aren't trained regularly.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
^No such thing as a pathetically low weight. Strike that concept from your thinking.
I agree, It's just I'm a pretty imposing looking guy and when I go into the gym and do ATG squats with half the weight guys are doing 1/4 squats it takes a little swallowing of pride to realize they aren't really doing squats at all. Similarly, when I began doing deadlifts I wasn't accustumed to the movement, so I started very light. It's all about the rewards of the excercise and not showing off, of course. Eventually you have to challenge yourself with heavy weights, however.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM

Tried 405. Got it off the ground an inch or so and realized it wasn't quite gonna happen yet. I never see anybody in my gym doing anything with 4 plates on the barbell, and its been a LONG time since I could do/try anything with that much weight. (That was my parallel squat PR in high school and I'm pretty sure it only happened once.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness