Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times

Advertisements

Funniest Gym Types:

The Naked (Old) Warrior: Older men that insist on striking up a conversation while they're butt *** naked. I know it's more of a generational thing as older men grew up taking showers together in school, but put a towel on.

Biff the (wannabe) Hungarian Power Lifter: Never, ever uses cardio equipment. He grunts and groans loudly on every lift and chats with Herculass in between sets. Either wears tattered workout gear or the newest in compression fabrics from Under Armour.

Big, fake ***'s McGee: Usually in her mid-30's, she just purchased a new pair courtesy of the divorce settlement. She is reasonably attractive, but would have probably been better off with her original set. Rarely weighs more than 140 lbs yet has G-cups that don't match. Typically on the stair climber or elliptical watching Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

Florence Gump: Like Forrest Gump, if you ask her what she did today, she'd say "I was runnn-in." Typically a thin, waif-like lady wearing either soccer shorts or yoga-like pants. She comes to the gym, puts the treadmill between 6.0 and 7.0 for speed and proceeds to outrun most of the guys for 30 to 45 minutes. All while barely breaking a sweat. She doesn't know that the gym has weights but may occasionally pop up in a Zumba class.

Group Workout Dude: Typically a middle aged man, with the slightest hint of gray in his hair. He's in decent shape for his age and usually occupies the cardio equipment; either watching sports or checking out ***'s McGee. He's old enough to not be intimidated by Zumba or spinning classes yet young enough to think he has a chance at scoring with the ladies.

Personal Trainer (Girl): Almost always under the age of 30, she's super hot with either dark brunette or bottle blonde hair. Her body is what most women in the gym are striving for, but can't attain due to genetics. You never see her workout or even break a sweat and her clients seem to like her. Just when you think about introducing yourself, her boyfriend Biff appears.

Personal Trainer (Guy): Decent looking guy, but much more "average" physically than the female trainer. Always has his female clients doing cardio and light lifting while pushing his male clients to HITT training that they aren't prepared for. He will give you the death stare if you eyeball his female clients too hard. He doesn't seem quite as invested in his job as PT Girl.

The (young) Married Couple: Both are fit, energetic and excited. If the guy and girl are close in looks or if the guy is "hotter," they typically workout separately. If the girl is "hotter," the guy will hover and randomly check on his wife every five minutes.

The (older) Married Couple: They're over age 30 but younger than 50. The guy walks next to his wife on the treadmill for about two minutes before going on an odyssey of machine lifting. The wife will walk on the treadmill/elliptical for close to an hour. Neither says much while in the gym, except when it's time to leave and grab a bite from Mickey D's.

The Athlete: Looks like a younger Idris Elba. Walks in the gym, does five minutes of cardio. He then proceeds to do three sets on the bench at 405 lbs, three sets on squats at 500+ lbs, incline dumbbells with 100 lb weights, box jumps about as high as your chin and the craziest ab routine known to man. He walks out of the gym with a nice glaze and makes you feel like crap. His workouts are almost always solo affairs and he rarely utters a word to anyone at the gym.

The Mathlete: The opposite of the Athlete in every way. He typically works out with another Mathlete. Both usually start on the bench press and repeat talking points they've read in men's health magazines. Naturally skinny, they follow all of the "rules" yet rarely gain an ounce of muscle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
^^ Is hilarious;

Just coming back from the gym and I swear; "Big, fake ***'s McGee" was just next to me on the stair master. Fits the description to the T except I didn't check the divorce papers.
I guess I just declared myself the;
"Group Workout Dude: Typically a middle aged man, with the slightest hint of gray in his hair. He's in decent shape for his age and usually occupies the cardio equipment; either watching sports or checking out ***'s McGee. He's old enough to not be intimidated by Zumba or spinning classes yet young enough to think he has a chance at scoring with the ladies."
But I go there alone. If my wife goes, we still drive separately! She is done in 20 min and me 100+ min.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
^^ Is hilarious;

Just coming back from the gym and I swear; "Big, fake ***'s McGee" was just next to me on the stair master. Fits the description to the T except I didn't check the divorce papers.
I guess I just declared myself the;
"Group Workout Dude: Typically a middle aged man, with the slightest hint of gray in his hair. He's in decent shape for his age and usually occupies the cardio equipment; either watching sports or checking out ***'s McGee. He's old enough to not be intimidated by Zumba or spinning classes yet young enough to think he has a chance at scoring with the ladies."
But I go there alone. If my wife goes, we still drive separately! She is done in 20 min and me 100+ min.
It makes me realize that I spend entirely too much time in the gym. Probably because of all the wonderful "things" you can see there!

Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
There is a guy at my gym who comes in with a duffel bag filled with his basketballs. He bounces them really hard, barks, and yells things like "come on boy!" to the mirror. It wouldn't be so bad if he would just do it in the dance room where the big mirrors are, but he insists on doing it in the room where the elliptical and treadmills are so that he can occasionally jump on an elliptical for like 30 seconds. The room is really not set up for that kind of thing, and what the hell good does that do anyway? I mean he literally only jumps on for about thirty seconds.

The funny thing is, he's way too small and a little too old to be playing college ball. Does he really have to be so intense (and annoying) barking at himself and yelling "c'mon boy" for whatever community recreation league he plays in?

One time the ball got away from him and hit the mirror. I thought for sure it was going to break, but luckily it didn't. I didn't know to laugh or be annoyed.

I go to the gym late at night, and the first time I ever saw him, we were the only ones there. When he was yelling his nonsense, I thought he was yelling at me and I was going to go over and clock him before I realized he was just jibber jabbering to himself. Now I see him and say to myself: "not this ****ing guy."

Maybe I am being too harsh. Does this sound like ordinary basketball training?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:17 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
There's one huge genre of annoying gym people that is blatantly missing. The Socializer. These people excessively stand around blocking throughways and creeping on everyone else that is actually working out in the gym. They never break a sweat and never really do all that much the entire time they're at the gym. They are just there because they are bored or their spouse kicked them out of the house for the night and they look for people they know to bs with and waste time. IMO if you have that much breath to waste while you're working out you aren't working out very hard.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
There is a guy at my gym who comes in with a duffel bag filled with his basketballs. He bounces them really hard, barks, and yells things like "come on boy!" to the mirror. It wouldn't be so bad if he would just do it in the dance room where the big mirrors are, but he insists on doing it in the room where the elliptical and treadmills are so that he can occasionally jump on an elliptical for like 30 seconds. The room is really not set up for that kind of thing, and what the hell good does that do anyway? I mean he literally only jumps on for about thirty seconds.

The funny thing is, he's way too small and a little too old to be playing college ball. Does he really have to be so intense (and annoying) barking at himself and yelling "c'mon boy" for whatever community recreation league he plays in?

One time the ball got away from him and hit the mirror. I thought for sure it was going to break, but luckily it didn't. I didn't know to laugh or be annoyed.

I go to the gym late at night, and the first time I ever saw him, we were the only ones there. When he was yelling his nonsense, I thought he was yelling at me and I was going to go over and clock him before I realized he was just jibber jabbering to himself. Now I see him and say to myself: "not this ****ing guy."

Maybe I am being too harsh. Does this sound like ordinary basketball training?

No it doesn't. It sounds more like Dirk's training camp:

Dirk Nowitzki's Basketball Ca... - YouTube

Old 01-19-2014, 03:59 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
I hate when I am at the gym and see guys come in groups and stand around the equipment taking turns and talking. Seems like douchebag behavior to me.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
I really had no issues in my gym for the past 2 weeks since it was kind of free. Did everything at my own pace without rushing. But chatty girls at the gym who just talk and don't really push themselves on equipment annoy me at times. Loud Ghetto music washes all that away thankfully .

Old 01-20-2014, 11:18 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,837,240 times
We had some really loud highschoolers today. Yelling/shouting as loud as they possibly could, in a closed room. Seriously, if I can push a sled loaded with 4 plates quietly, they sure as heck can too. I couldn't even hear the music, let alone the instruction I had requested from my trainer. We had to tell them to shut up! so glad, all the young athletes will be moving to their high school gym on Feb 1.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:46 PM

129 posts, read 250,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Funniest Gym Types:

The Naked (Old) Warrior: Older men that insist on striking up a conversation while they're butt *** naked. I know it's more of a generational thing as older men grew up taking showers together in school, but put a towel on.

Biff the (wannabe) Hungarian Power Lifter: Never, ever uses cardio equipment. He grunts and groans loudly on every lift and chats with Herculass in between sets. Either wears tattered workout gear or the newest in compression fabrics from Under Armour.

Big, fake ***'s McGee: Usually in her mid-30's, she just purchased a new pair courtesy of the divorce settlement. She is reasonably attractive, but would have probably been better off with her original set. Rarely weighs more than 140 lbs yet has G-cups that don't match. Typically on the stair climber or elliptical watching Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

Florence Gump: Like Forrest Gump, if you ask her what she did today, she'd say "I was runnn-in." Typically a thin, waif-like lady wearing either soccer shorts or yoga-like pants. She comes to the gym, puts the treadmill between 6.0 and 7.0 for speed and proceeds to outrun most of the guys for 30 to 45 minutes. All while barely breaking a sweat. She doesn't know that the gym has weights but may occasionally pop up in a Zumba class.

Group Workout Dude: Typically a middle aged man, with the slightest hint of gray in his hair. He's in decent shape for his age and usually occupies the cardio equipment; either watching sports or checking out ***'s McGee. He's old enough to not be intimidated by Zumba or spinning classes yet young enough to think he has a chance at scoring with the ladies.

Personal Trainer (Girl): Almost always under the age of 30, she's super hot with either dark brunette or bottle blonde hair. Her body is what most women in the gym are striving for, but can't attain due to genetics. You never see her workout or even break a sweat and her clients seem to like her. Just when you think about introducing yourself, her boyfriend Biff appears.

Personal Trainer (Guy): Decent looking guy, but much more "average" physically than the female trainer. Always has his female clients doing cardio and light lifting while pushing his male clients to HITT training that they aren't prepared for. He will give you the death stare if you eyeball his female clients too hard. He doesn't seem quite as invested in his job as PT Girl.

The (young) Married Couple: Both are fit, energetic and excited. If the guy and girl are close in looks or if the guy is "hotter," they typically workout separately. If the girl is "hotter," the guy will hover and randomly check on his wife every five minutes.

The (older) Married Couple: They're over age 30 but younger than 50. The guy walks next to his wife on the treadmill for about two minutes before going on an odyssey of machine lifting. The wife will walk on the treadmill/elliptical for close to an hour. Neither says much while in the gym, except when it's time to leave and grab a bite from Mickey D's.

The Athlete: Looks like a younger Idris Elba. Walks in the gym, does five minutes of cardio. He then proceeds to do three sets on the bench at 405 lbs, three sets on squats at 500+ lbs, incline dumbbells with 100 lb weights, box jumps about as high as your chin and the craziest ab routine known to man. He walks out of the gym with a nice glaze and makes you feel like crap. His workouts are almost always solo affairs and he rarely utters a word to anyone at the gym.

The Mathlete: The opposite of the Athlete in every way. He typically works out with another Mathlete. Both usually start on the bench press and repeat talking points they've read in men's health magazines. Naturally skinny, they follow all of the "rules" yet rarely gain an ounce of muscle.
this post is so on point with my gym, minus Big Fake **** McGee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness