Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,435,014 times

Advertisements

Which on is better for building your chest muscles. I've heard that if you have long arms, the dumbbell press will work better for you, and vice versa if you have short arms. Is there really a difference, or is this all just a matter of preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,673,083 times
I personally think the bench is overrated and there are better exercises for your chest. Try pullovers, chest dips, incline and decline flyes, etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 PM

645 posts, read 1,959,261 times
Based on my experiences.. The barbell bench press is better for overall upper body. However, the dumbell bench press is better for exclusively the pectoral muscles.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:08 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,949,252 times
When I'm working on my chest, I do both dumbell and barbell presses, and I use the bench at multiple angles (flat, incline, decline).

I also use several different chest machines in addition to free weights.

The more different types of exercises you do, the more muscles you will work.

Also include lat pull-downs and rows.

Work on your entire upper body, not just your chest, and you will achieve bigger results.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
They are two different exercises (though close), two different forms.

Also, it is a hassle getting set up for heavy dumbbell presses unless you have some assistance; and many gyms do not like throwing the weights down, even if they are a pair of 150lbs dumbbells.

Many people do both; strength training with the barbell, big but boring with the dumbbells. Some people use one or the other because of other reasons, like an injury.

I like the dumbbells more, but my gym has them only go up so far, and I do not have assistance to get set up for it. When I get my home gym going, I am going to make a set up for a dumbbell bench.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,676,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I personally think the bench is overrated and there are better exercises for your chest. Try pullovers, chest dips, incline and decline flyes, etc.
The bench is not over/under rated, it is just the bench. The bench is not specifically just for the chest, and only people into vanity would even think that.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM

292 posts, read 1,062,841 times
DB's give you more range of motion. I prefer a incline bench with db's myself.

I do hope you're incorporating more than just a bench press in your chest workouts.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,781,743 times
I prefer a variety of chest exercises. I frequently use db's and do flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, cable work, push ups, etc. I recently did a flat barbell press with chains attached, now that was fun!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 AM

606 posts, read 1,598,185 times
It's not that any certain exercise is better than any other...What's important is that you frequently change your workouts up and you don't let your body get used to any certain routine. Variety and change is the key.

Having said that, I like dumbells better when I can't find somebody to spot me, cuz you can go super heavy and worse comes to worst you can just drop them to the sides...Can't do that with a straight bar!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,150,127 times
Dumbbell presses involve more ancillary muscles as you have to work to keep individual weights in control (stabilized) rather than a straight, solid bar. I bounce back in forth between the two and try to make sure I can press close to the same weight with both techniques. Dumbbells also give you the availability to orientate your hands in different positions throughout the lift, which works the muscles in different ways... they are certainly more versatile.

If you only use the barbell you will not be able to do nearly as much with dumbbell. It is more work to use dumbbells, you simply hit more muscles, that's why I like them. However it is not prudent to choose one over the other, both should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness