Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times

Advertisements

Ok, that’s it… I’ve had it. I’m a marathon runner that runs 35 – 50 miles per week. However, I have developed a beer gut over the past year and I need to get rid of the extra 20 pounds around it.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, got it.

Tell me if this plan will get rid of the extra flab:

- Decrease my daily calorie intake by 20%
- Increase my protein and fiber intake
- Start lifting weights to add muscle in my arms, chest, back
- Instead of doing long runs (4 – 6 miles every day) start interval training. I plan on sprinting for 1 min and jogging for 2 min off and one for 3 times

Any other suggestions? Foods to be sure I eat a lot of? Foods to be sure to stay away from? What is the best way to get a flat stomach with an hour in the gym?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 04:46 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Well, if you do all that I'm sure you'd loose the weight. The issue might be in sticking with that regiment over the long haul.

Have you ever considered intermittent fasting? Here is a great video that was on pbs about it by dr. Mosley. Interestingly he also has a great episode about exercise that you can find on pbs' website too. I highly recommend them both.

http://m.video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/

Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Stop drinking beer? aka empty calories

Old 04-22-2013, 06:23 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I'm a middle aged reformed endurance athlete who still puts away 2-3 beers a night on a regular basis. But, I eat healthy 90% of the time. Mostly chicken, brown rice and lots & lots of veggies. For breakfast I have a protein smoothie made with super greens powder, lunch is usually a turkey sandwich & apple. Once a week I will have steak and try to eat fish 1-2 times a week as well.

Started really hitting the weight room about 5 years ago because I had skinny arms and legs from running but a huge buddha belly. Did not need to lose weight, just reapportion it. Despite being over 45 years old I have a fairly cut stomach now. The exercises that worked for me are kettlebell swings, front squats and loaded carries (especially waiter's walks & farmer's walks). I never do sit ups, crunches, leg lifts or any other core exercises. Don't know why but switching to walking and hiking helped me lose my gut better than running ever did.

When I need to rev things up like after the holidays and lose a quick ten pounds I suck it up and ditch the beer for about 7-10 days and drink protein shakes for breakfast, lunch & afternoon snack. Then eat chicken and veggies for dinner.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:39 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
You cannot outrun your fork.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Ok, that’s it… I’ve had it. I’m a marathon runner that runs 35 – 50 miles per week. However, I have developed a beer gut over the past year and I need to get rid of the extra 20 pounds around it.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym, got it.

Tell me if this plan will get rid of the extra flab:

- Decrease my daily calorie intake by 20%
- Increase my protein and fiber intake
- Start lifting weights to add muscle in my arms, chest, back
- Instead of doing long runs (4 – 6 miles every day) start interval training. I plan on sprinting for 1 min and jogging for 2 min off and one for 3 times

Any other suggestions? Foods to be sure I eat a lot of? Foods to be sure to stay away from? What is the best way to get a flat stomach with an hour in the gym?
How does adding muscle to your arms, chest and back get rid of that beer gut? More protein isn't going to help but can negatively affect your pancreas. People who pump up on protein are foolish. Eat a healthy diet and you get all the protein you need, you don't need more.

How about this? Before that 1 hour at the gym, stop drinking beer?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I'm a middle aged reformed endurance athlete who still puts away 2-3 beers a night on a regular basis. But, I eat healthy 90% of the time. Mostly chicken, brown rice and lots & lots of veggies. For breakfast I have a protein smoothie made with super greens powder, lunch is usually a turkey sandwich & apple. Once a week I will have steak and try to eat fish 1-2 times a week as well.

Started really hitting the weight room about 5 years ago because I had skinny arms and legs from running but a huge buddha belly. Did not need to lose weight, just reapportion it. Despite being over 45 years old I have a fairly cut stomach now. The exercises that worked for me are kettlebell swings, front squats and loaded carries (especially waiter's walks & farmer's walks). I never do sit ups, crunches, leg lifts or any other core exercises. Don't know why but switching to walking and hiking helped me lose my gut better than running ever did.

When I need to rev things up like after the holidays and lose a quick ten pounds I suck it up and ditch the beer for about 7-10 days and drink protein shakes for breakfast, lunch & afternoon snack. Then eat chicken and veggies for dinner.
This is exactly what I needed to hear, and sounds a lot like me (well, I'm only 29) but the skinny arms and legs and huge buddha belly is 100% me.

What are loaded carries? How do you do a kettlebell swing?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:04 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
How does adding muscle to your arms, chest and back get rid of that beer gut? More protein isn't going to help but can negatively affect your pancreas. People who pump up on protein are foolish. Eat a healthy diet and you get all the protein you need, you don't need more.

How about this? Before that 1 hour at the gym, stop drinking beer?
More muscle means a faster metabolism so more calories burned. How does protein hurt the pancreas?

Op I must say I came in here expecting you to say, "I'm cutting calories and running more."

Looks like a solid plan to me

Old 04-22-2013, 07:06 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,528 times
You can try the ketosis diet and stop eating carbs. That means no more beer, brown rice, bananas, and limited broccoli for at least the first week. That way when you run your 35 miles that week, you'll burn nothing but existing fat off that belly!

Sounds like right now you are taking in too many carbs for you to burn. Even running the amount you run, it's not going to burn away the beer carbs. I say forget about calories and focus on carbs as your culprit.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Distance runners need their carbs. Their diet should be different from a lifter. That said clearly the OP is consuming more than he is burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness