Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

working out is inherently boring and not fun. One of the keys to success in life is developing a tolerance for boredom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:22 AM

280 posts, read 686,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
working out is inherently boring and not fun. One of the keys to success in life is developing a tolerance for boredom.
Zumba, swimming, and sports are not bad.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I am not bored when I work out. I am rather enjoying myself.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Big D..have you considerd a boxing workout? I was in the same boat as you a while back. I was simply bored and burned out. Once I switched to boxing only, I haven't looked back and I'm hooked. I look forward to EVERY workout.

You don't have to get in the ring and get hit if you don't want to. There are classes where you can just go through the traditional boxing workout, sans the sparring.

It may not be your "cup of tea", but consider giving it a try. I know for a fact the DFW area has some decent boxing gyms and trainers. Good luck in whatever you do and hope you get back on track.
There's one relatively close by called Title Boxing Club...might have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
I don't know if an earlier poster has already mentioned this, but you can try exercise videos. There are probably thousands of them.

You can get them free from YouTube or your local library, or you can purchase them at CollageVideo.
I already have a ton of those!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:43 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
If you think workouts are meant to be fun ... then you're probably not working out hard enough.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:13 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,186 times
You should mix in some compound exercises. Squats, deadlifts, or even bench pressing. I think females can tone up nicely if they mix in some of these core exercises.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Working out shouldn't be "fun" unless you're in a group fitness class with a really top-notch motivational trainer.

Working out shouldn't be boring, because it should be challenging to your body. If your body isn't being challenged, then you need to lift heavier weights, or do another set of reps, or sprint instead of run, or - basically, whatever you're doing, do it more "extremely."

If by "boring" you mean "not intellectually stimulating," well yeah it's not supposed to be intellectually stimulating. If you want to challenge your brain while you're working out, watch other folks at the gym, and make up life stories about them in your head, while keeping track of how many reps you just did of your second triceps kickbacks set.

When I'm on the bike in the cardio theatre, I'm watching a movie. So I don't get bored there. But when I'm on the elliptical out on the main floor, I try to keep my pace with the music. THIS can be -very- challenging, because they play all sorts of stuff, some very fast, some only a little fast. They mix it up - we get Rihanna and Aerosmith, followed by Pink Floyd and Ke$ha and everything inbetween.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Working out shouldn't be "fun" unless you're in a group fitness class with a really top-notch motivational trainer.
I don't know about you but I have a lot of fun when sculling (rowing) on a calm body of water or riding my bike along the beach - and I do challenge myself

Old 04-29-2013, 11:19 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I don't know about you but I have a lot of fun when sculling (rowing) on a calm body of water or riding my bike along the beach - and I do challenge myself
The OP was asking about working out at the gym. She wasn't complaining about boring recreational activities.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:58 AM

639 posts, read 1,123,773 times
I suggest going to an independent yoga or pilates studio a few times a week to switch it up. I find yoga and pilates challenging yet enjoyable workouts, especially if you have a good teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness