Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times

Advertisements

I was a fairly heavy drinker. When i started to get serious about my health i did a bit of research into my drinking and how it may effect my workouts. I like to post this stuff, because someone else may learn from it and i writing about it keeps it fresh in the memory.Maybe you are wondering is it ok to have a drink or four during the evening after a hard days workout. After all you deserve it for all the hard work you put in at the gym, dont you?

Sadly, drinking alcohol after training is a horrible idea. Alcohol will erase all gains and delay recovery in your muscles. People who drink alcohol will see a decrease in their anabolic testosterone levels. Why does that matter? Because testosterone helps build up muscle tissue.

Even having 1.5 drinks compromises strength performances and blunts fat loss "gains" because it screws with your hormones.

Red wine is included, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:00 AM

87 posts, read 134,608 times
Hey thank you for sharing this, My bro goes regular to gym as well he drinks also at evening but every day he thinks about to drink but now i will inform about this post. i hope he will left consumption of alcohol, because of your valuable information
Should beer will be same as alcohol,,,?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM

Doesent matter what type of alcohol it is. Beer is alcohol.
If he wants to drink, do it in his off/rest days where he is not going to the gym.
The fact is alcohol f8cks with your hormones, doesent matter where it comes from.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 AM

A little more info

Alcohol is absorbed through your gastrointestinal(spelling?) system and then into your cells. It disrupts water balance
and the ablity to produce ATP which is an energy source for your muscles.When your body loses water, half of that water is from your muscles and another portion from your skin.

Ever see people drinking protein shakes after workout? Of course you have. Protein is needed to rebuild muscle.
Alcohol screws protein synthesis so drinking after a workout is bad. This is when your body needs protein the most, during the recovery period.

I could go on and on but i think you get the point

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
My ex ran many 50- and 100-mile ultramarathons. It always amazed me to see runners drinking beer right at the end of a race (not him, because as a biologist, he knew better). Alcohol dehydrates you - one reason drinking a lot of water or juice after consuming a lot of alcohol can help lessen hangovers - so that's another point in its disfavor as an after-workout beverage.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I was a fairly heavy drinker. When i started to get serious about my health i did a bit of research into my drinking and how it may effect my workouts. I like to post this stuff, because someone else may learn from it and i writing about it keeps it fresh in the memory.Maybe you are wondering is it ok to have a drink or four during the evening after a hard days workout. After all you deserve it for all the hard work you put in at the gym, dont you?

Sadly, drinking alcohol after training is a horrible idea. Alcohol will erase all gains and delay recovery in your muscles. People who drink alcohol will see a decrease in their anabolic testosterone levels. Why does that matter? Because testosterone helps build up muscle tissue.

Even having 1.5 drinks compromises strength performances and blunts fat loss "gains" because it screws with your hormones.

Red wine is included, yes.
Speaking for myself, I have a couple of beers after a meal on the day of a workout..hasn't hurt me so far. Now, if I'm hunched over the toilet every night, then it's a problem.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Stop drinking alcohol. Period.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Stop drinking alcohol. Period.
My rule is no more than 3 times in a year. I don't quite know what it does, but as I runner I can detect a definite decline in performance if I drank booze the day before. In fact, I believe I can detect a change for at least 2-3 days. I am not much of a physiology guy, but I guess it might have something to do with capillaries, damage to which would affect ability to deliver oxygen to the muscles. Dehydration too, of course, although I would think that would be fixed within 24 hours.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM

For running besides hydration, you will suffer reduced muscle function earlier than someone who hasnt been drinking. This is because it causes a decrease in blood volume but a increase in blood thickness meaning less lood pumped through your muscles.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
Very interesting and thank u for sharing this.

I've recently started running within the last 2 months and have been quite consistant with it. I'll admit i'm proud of myself for sticking with it and I can physically see a change in my body, I look more toned and in shape and am starting to see abs, despite not really doing ab exercises... . my chest looks good. I just feel like I look fit.

I also like to drink. . . not every night, but socially on the weekends, I'll enjoy a night or two out at the clubs or bars. . I usually have around 3 to 4 drinks throughout a night. So, I'll get a decent buzz, but im never sloppy drunk or anything like that. I usually dont run on weekends either, as I let my body recover those days. . . . However, come Monday, I can always feel how haggard I feel running. For example the Friday before, I'm running great! Long distances, good breathing feeling good....but on mondays, I sweat like a pig, im tired easily, my body feels like passing out, im just uggggh. . . And I know its cuz of the alocohol I drank over the weekend.

I'm starting to want to go out less, because I dont want to drink and mess up my gains I've been making with all of my hard work throughout the week. So I'm in a bit of a juxtaposition here.... I want to have a lean, mean, fit, healthy body, but I dont want my social life to suffer. . . I'll admit I enjoy going out, having some drinks, dancing, a little partying, socializing, etc..... but I'm not about to mess up what I've worked so hard for.... so do I choose to just stay in....not drink.... watch movies?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness