Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
100% disagree.

I have seen too many times someone lose weight and look good...that didn't help them with relationships and personalities, per se, but it at least opened the door to people who wouldn't have even given them a glance prior to their getting in shape.

So it does help with opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I'm not trying to discourage people from going to the gym but I'm just pointing out it's actually probably not going to help you much.
You apparently know NOTHING about working out.

I agree with Ohiogirl, another dumb, as in ignorant, remark.

You should stay in the psychology & philosophical forums, people buy into that BS over there.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
If this is the only reason the gym gets crowded with knuckleheads of both sexes, than I might as well stay home and do pushups.
I still miss being able to go there regularly between 1am and 5am, about the only time you could get away from the masses seeking to improve their chances in the dating game.

Gyms are for working out, not meeting a potential mate, or recruiting people into your "training crew".

Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,039,355 times
So you all think no one is trying to improve their looks at the gym and if they are they should quit?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
What is the maximum amount of points someone can rise just by working out? I would say looks and personality are both about 4's out of the ten and the remaining 2 is left for the eye of the beholder. Also what is the average amount of points you can expect someone to rise by working out? I'd say on average they can bring themselves up to a 3-3.5 and their personality will probably improve a point because their confidence will go up etc.

I'm just saying I see a lot of people at the gym but when I think about it I could only imagine them going up about a point or two depending on how serious they take it.
Quote:
So you all think no one is trying to improve their looks at the gym and if they are they should quit?
Of course, but I don't think very many of us turn it into a point system rating looks & personality.

There are many threads in the fitness section discussing what motivates a person. I don't do it to raise up a point or two, or five.....but hey, if it rocks your boat, go for it.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
I gained a point and lost a pound from laughing so hard - you just can't make this stuff up.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
You are seriously missing the point of those who are appalled by your posts.

Of course some people are trying to improve their appearance when they work out (although hopefully that is not their only or even main motivation). But the way you phrased it was so, well, juvenile. Are you 12?

(EG: "I woke up a 6, then I put on make-up and I think I rose to a 7.5, then I went to work, then I did a session on my treadmill and got all sweaty so I guess I went down to a 5, then I took a shower and went back up a point," etc. I mean, seriously, who THINKS like this???!!! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness