Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 02:42 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

I'm about to complete a one month pass at Gold's Gym and intend to take out a one year membership. Since I will be paying by the month they want my checking account number and routing number. I assume that's to ensure that they get the full amount of the membership in case someone decides they don't want to continue the membership.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 02:45 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
It was for our gym. Our membership fees are auto-pay so it drafts automatically out of our account each month.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:56 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
It's normal.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:12 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,026 times
Its normal, but I say not preferred. Give them a credit card # instead. The gym should not have access to the same pot of gold you use to pay your rent and groceries.

If you get into a dispute with your gym, about WHEN you terminate your membership, call your bank and ask if you can deny one payee vs if you have to cancel the whole card/acct.

I am assuming, if you have to cancel your checking acct, which you might also use to pay your rent/mortgage, car note, student loans, and is the direct deposit target for your payroll check... that represents a lot of chaos. If you had pointed your Gym at your credit card, it makes it much much simpler/less collateral damage to contain the dispute.

Good luck! Use your gym access Often and Fiercely!

Old 09-01-2021, 04:37 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times
Very normal for automatic payment. I used my credit card.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVanAmstel View Post
Yeah that is normal. If you want more protection get a paypal account, link it to your checking account, and get a paypal debit card. I would say auto deductions from a card are better than giving out your account #. Also don't sign up for a 1 year membership. Just go month to month. There is no logical reason to sign up for a year other than the gym wants you to commit for as long as they can get you to do so. What happens if the gym closes in 2 months.
Actually, the annual membership is less expensive than going month to month. Month to month at this Gold's Gym is $54.99 not including tax while yearly is $34.99 after paying the $59 enrollment fee.

I don't know anything about paypal. Maybe I can open a secondary checking account for the sole purpose of using it for the gym membership.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Its normal, but I say not preferred. Give them a credit card # instead. The gym should not have access to the same pot of gold you use to pay your rent and groceries.

If you get into a dispute with your gym, about WHEN you terminate your membership, call your bank and ask if you can deny one payee vs if you have to cancel the whole card/acct.

I am assuming, if you have to cancel your checking acct, which you might also use to pay your rent/mortgage, car note, student loans, and is the direct deposit target for your payroll check... that represents a lot of chaos. If you had pointed your Gym at your credit card, it makes it much much simpler/less collateral damage to contain the dispute.

Good luck! Use your gym access Often and Fiercely!
I'll check and see if they will accept a credit card number. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2021, 06:41 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
It means they're setting you up for automatic withdrawal from checking as a method of payment. You won't have to go in to pay in person.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:22 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I'm about to complete a one month pass at Gold's Gym and intend to take out a one year membership. Since I will be paying by the month they want my checking account number and routing number. I assume that's to ensure that they get the full amount of the membership in case someone decides they don't want to continue the membership.

I'm just wondering if this is normal. Thanks.
Yes, normal, but if you can help it use a credit card. Especially one that gives an "once use" number or something.

All gyms operate on same money making (some would call it blood sucking) automatic payment schemes. They will bill your CC or take money out of your account fast enough, just try getting it back if you cancel or pause membership.

During covid panic last year when virtually all states shut down gyms and health clubs they all continued billing customers. It took state AG and other pressures to get many of them to stop. Then as one said came the issue of getting funds withdrawn returned or credited.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:27 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Don't do it. They'll keep charging you if you decide you don't want to go there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness