Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I do not like being the last person and having everyone wait for me, I feel fat and do not want the focus on me.

Interesting what you say about form, I need to focus harder on that.
I totally hear you on not liking to be the last person. That will change. That used to be my case too, at our saturday am "bootcamp" workout. Now, well...the last time I went in Dec before I switched to jogging...I was in the middle of the pack. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I'm really strong in some areas, and really weak in others. It just goes with the territory, and gives a goal to shoot for.

I just want to add, one of the complaints that we hear (and see) about CF, is the lack of focus on form. Time does seem to be the goal for many, not form. We also hear about a lot of injuries which would probably be the result of this as well. Once you get up the the "games" level, there is a lot of debate whether a rep counts or not, based on the form. Again, some boxes are better than others. Not sure where you are located, but I really like the programming & coaching of a friend who owns a couple of boxes in California & Washington. He's a fireman (and the station fitness trainer) and CF in full fireman attire (not all the time), so ya know he's bad ass. lol. He's a really cool guy. I love his programming! If you are interested, PM me and I will give you his contact info...for a consult with an expert (I am not).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,971 times
Like Caligirl said, your trainers should be working with you on scaling the workout.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Like Caligirl said, your trainers should be working with you on scaling the workout.

They do but I think what they want is us to check our time and then improve it. Caligirl - thanks for the info.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,860 times
What I'm getting from your post is you are not comfortable with were you work out and your trainers and that is a red flag for any time of workout. I've done some Crossfit, and the WOD seems odd. Are you doing 100 pushup consecutively, followed by 100 wall-balls, etc? Things should decidedly be scaled and you should be pushing yourself, but in a safe way.

Bottom line, if you don't feel safe, stop going.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
What I'm getting from your post is you are not comfortable with were you work out and your trainers and that is a red flag for any time of workout. I've done some Crossfit, and the WOD seems odd. Are you doing 100 pushup consecutively, followed by 100 wall-balls, etc? Things should decidedly be scaled and you should be pushing yourself, but in a safe way.

Bottom line, if you don't feel safe, stop going.
No, maybe you are not understanding what I am saying.

I did not say that was the WOD - I just posted some examples of things we were doing - not a WOD per se'

I am well aware of the fact that if I do not feel safe I should not be doing it, that is not what I said.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,150 times
I am not an advocate of crossfit, but if a particular crossfit gym were not safe - people would know about it, avoid it and generally not maintain a membership.

People don't feel safe jumping out of airplanes or going to war. Unless the person is sick or has an injury limiting movement, 'safe' is actually exercising, not abstaining.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
What do you do when you are pushed to do the WOD but cannot seem to complete it?

100 Push Ups
100 Wall Balls
100 Squats
etc

I am new to this and am improving but I cannot complete a WOD yet my counters seem to expect me to.
Here is what I would do.

1) Cancel membership to Crossfit gym.

2) Learn (either by research or by hiring a trainer) a more effective, less dangerous, and physiologically based workout program.

3) Go do that workout.

Problem solved.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,967,971 times
Don't listen to Bosco, he's got an aversion to CF but only knows the myths of CF that are spread around, so just ignore him.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Here is what I would do.

1) Cancel membership to Crossfit gym.

2) Learn (either by research or by hiring a trainer) a more effective, less dangerous, and physiologically based workout program.

3) Go do that workout.

Problem solved.
I completely agree.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Don't listen to Bosco, he's got an aversion to CF but only knows the myths of CF that are spread around, so just ignore him.
You're right. Crossfit has evolved beyond its cult status to be widely accepted by the athletic and scientific communities at large.

Oh wait, that still hasn't happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness