Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Eating protein is about 20 grams of protein, trust me I'd be full for hours!
Ad you can eat as much of it as you want
I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Protein is generally quite high in calories. The only time you can have unlimited protein and still lose weight is when you follow an extremely low carbohydrate diet, whereby your body goes into ketosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Protein is generally quite high in calories. The only time you can have unlimited protein and still lose weight is when you follow an extremely low carbohydrate diet, whereby your body goes into ketosis.

McKinley Health Center - Macronutrients: the Importance of Carbohydrate, Protein, and Fat - University of Illinois

Protein and carbs are the same amount of calories its the fat content of the source that usually amps up the calorie load in the protein food sources. You don't need to follow and extremely low carb diet to lose weight. Overall calorie load still matters. It is possible to gain weight on a low carb diet if your calorie load is too high.

Low-Carb Diet Mistakes - Correcting Problems on Your Low-Carb Diet (#6 on over eating)^^

Eating too high protein will put a burden on the body after a certain point. You need to eat the appropriate range of protein for your weight(or lean mass) and activity level (athletes need more than others).

High-protein diets: Are they safe? - MayoClinic.com

How Much Protein Do You Need?

Calc: weight & lean mass options)
Protein Needs Calculator - Online Protein Calculator

I think everyone has their "sweet spot" for the optimal level but there is a wide range of healthy for it.

Some signs you may be eating too much:
Signs & Symptoms Of Too Much Protein In The Diet | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
I know all that. My point is there is no such thing as eating an unlimited amount of protein and still be able to lose weight. Most protein has fat in it.
I'm saying the ONLY way it can be done is on something like the Atkin's diet, where you can have all the meat, bacon and fatty cheese you want and still lose weight through ketosis, as long as you have an extremely low carb intake. I'm not promoting or damning the diet.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 PM

41 posts, read 53,289 times
Try this

Write down five reasons how your life will change by losing weight. Think hard about this. If your reasons are big enough, you will find the will and the way to lose the weight. If not, its always going to be a struggle.

Suddenly your weight loss is not about food anymore - it is about something bigger.

PS: I lost 63 pounds in 3 months - although I been overweight all my life and used "take shape for life / medifast" program as my weight loss tool. I wrote down my 5 reasons for losing weight and I read those reasons thrice everyday.

Hope you find your reason and good luck.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:39 PM

18 posts, read 43,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I have weights, a treadmill, and an Exercise Bike, but it seems like I can't drop the weight. I currently weigh 230 pounds and would like to lose 50 pounds by the end of summer. I'm a 23 y/o male. I'm trying to eat healthy I just lack motivation any tips?
Want a real good motivator? Spend a few hours in an assisted living home (not a nursing home- cause you expect them to need help).
But, look how out of shape these people are you'll be able to figure it didn't happen overnight....its a lifestyle over-the-years.

Or go to a family practice waiting room-spend a half hour just watching people come n go...its the same deal.
You'll see just how early in life people get pethetic when they allow themselves to stay un-disciplined. It truly is pathetic...and I'm not a health nut- I'm just realistic.

That'll getcha on track. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I know all that. My point is there is no such thing as eating an unlimited amount of protein and still be able to lose weight. Most protein has fat in it.
I'm saying the ONLY way it can be done is on something like the Atkin's diet, where you can have all the meat, bacon and fatty cheese you want and still lose weight through ketosis, as long as you have an extremely low carb intake. I'm not promoting or damning the diet.
Yeah. I was just giving the details and how to's

On the atkins thing though: You are suppose to limit bacon, cheese and fats after a certain point. I don't know why but a lot of people do that diet or think that part is unlimited. You still may have to count calories on that one too if general portion control is not working.

Atkins Diet Science| Atkins Official Site

Maximize Your Diet Success - Dieting Success | Atkins Official Site

Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,610,446 times
You guys are so way off it's pathetic. Fallen hook line and sinker for the fad diet of the day spiel, and playing right into the industry's hands. The solution is not rocket science. It is not cutting carbs, wheat products, fruit (are you kidding me?), rice and starches, or whatever. Eat a balanced, but primarily vegetarian diet. Watch portions. Drink water up to your tonsils. Make exercise (primarily cardio) an integral part of your life. If you burn more calories than you consume, you WILL lose weight. It is that simple. But it's not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Yeah. I was just giving the details and how to's

On the atkins thing though: You are suppose to limit bacon, cheese and fats after a certain point. I don't know why but a lot of people do that diet or think that part is unlimited. You still may have to count calories on that one too if general portion control is not working.

Atkins Diet Science| Atkins Official Site

Maximize Your Diet Success - Dieting Success | Atkins Official Site

Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
50 lbs in 3 months is not doable unless you starve yourself. Your diet is what is giving you problems. You are eating more than you are burning. Start a food journal and keep track of everything you eat.
Not true at all, sorry. If the OP is overweight by any significant margin, 50lbs in 90 days is not only doable, but not exceptionally difficult either. That's only about .55 lbs a day and some of the more radical diets out there can you drop 1+ lbs a day.

Again though, depends on how overweight the OP is.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I have weights, a treadmill, and an Exercise Bike, but it seems like I can't drop the weight. I currently weigh 230 pounds and would like to lose 50 pounds by the end of summer. I'm a 23 y/o male. I'm trying to eat healthy I just lack motivation any tips?
What is trying to eat healthy? Either you eat healthy or you dont. Learn to count your calories, all of them. Dont count them in your head, write them down. Do this for 2 weeks so you can see how many calories you are actually eating. Now drop your caloric instake by 500 per day. Dont cheat on your diet. You just cheat yourself

Stop drinking soda. I dont care if its coke zero its still soda.
Stop eating out. Dont eat any fast food. NONE
Stop eating chips, stop eating pre packaged snacks.
Stop eating until you are full. Instead eat until you are not hungry.

Stop taking bad advice from 90% of the people on this board who have no idea what they are talking about. Start lifting weights in the GYM. Not at home. Not only is the equipment better, but you can learn from the people there that do the exercies the right way. Stop with the boring treadmill and exercise bike. Read about HIIT or sprint intervals. Learn about nutrition. Read about it every day, google it. Learn from reputable sources, not from random articles of so called health experts.

Read this website every day.
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/

Head over to
http://www.livestrong.com/forums/
and do the same thing. Use their myplate tracker to help you track your food intake until you can do it yourself.

Last edited by skel1977; 06-17-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
You know what, im going to delete what i really wanted to say because i was only using coke zero to get across a point. Obviously that one went over you. I dont see the point of arguing with someone who uses epic lulz as a way to end a post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness