Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 PM

109 posts, read 265,084 times

Advertisements

I have a weight loss goal of 15 lbs, and then hopefully get big arms. I am currently 5'6 183lbs. I have a belly. I do not drink, nor smoke. I just have a habit to eat when I'm bored. I work 12 hr shifts from home where I just sit on the computer all day.

First things first, from today until Friday I am going to water fast. Let's see how that works out for me. I have done it before, but I would wreck havoc at the end of the night. I will add a reply each day detailing my progress.

Today, I haven't had anything since I woke up at 1:00 pm besides water. I did cheat at 10:00 pm and ate a bowl of egg plant w/ 1 boiled egg. Today's my first day. I plan on just drinking water all day tomorrow, and skipping food altogether.

I am extremely shy to go to the gym. I can't go. I just won't. I'm not fit enough.. And if I go, I'd only go at 4am when I know nobody's there.. but that's impractical. I think I am going to buy a bench + bar + weights and just work out at my house. Just bench-press, and work my arms out. Is that smart? Is that permissible given if that's what it takes?

I just wanted to share my intentions and thoughts. Please do comment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
I'm assuming you are a male, and you currently are not muscular?

Then at 183 lb / 5'6" , you need to lose a lot more than 15lbs.

Try 35 - 40lbs.

Ideal Weight Calculator
Quote:
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 139.8 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 142.5 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 140.7 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 141.5 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 114.6 lbs - 154.9 lbs
Start by tracking your daily diet online, and join SparkPeople.com, which is free, and has everything you need. The only way you can accurately track your calories is to keep a daily food journal, and SparkPeople makes this extremely easy.

Switch to eating only healthy food. Don't eat fast food (McDonalds, etc.), deep fried food (fried chicken, french fries, etc.), or food high in sugar (cake, candy, ice cream, etc), or foods high in sodium.

Examples of healthy food are:
  • Chicken and Turkey Breast (skinless)
  • Tuna and other fish
  • Fat Free Cottage Cheese
  • Fat Free Yogurt
  • Brown Rice
  • Whole Grain Breads, Cereals and Pastas
  • Fruit and Vegetables
  • Tofu
  • Beans and Lentils
  • Peanut Butter and nuts
  • Fat Free Milk
  • Egg Whites
To lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories per day. One approach to cut calories, is to use your goal weight x 10. So if your goal is to weigh 145lbs, then start eating approximately 1450 calories per day. As a result, you will lose about 1 - 2lbs per week.

I recommend spreading out these 1450 calories over 5 - 6 meals per day. Eat around every 2 - 3 hours. So you would eat around 300 calories during each meal. By spreading out the meals, you will eat more often, but in smaller quantity, so it will keep you feeling satisfied all day long.

Then to add muscle, you need to eat lots of protein in addition to lifting weights. Eat high protein foods such as chicken and fish, and you may also want to start drinking whey protein shakes.

And don't be shy about going to a gym. There are lots of people far heavier than you who I see working out regularly.

In addition to the gym, you can work out at home by doing push ups, pull ups and situps. Get a doorway pull up bar like this one from Pro Fit: Amazon.com: Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar: Sports & Outdoors

And if you buy weights for your home, that is good as well. The more exercise, the better. Check the Craigslist Sporting Goods section. You will always find lots of people selling weights and benches.

But I recommend going to a gym, because you will have the largest selection of equipment, including cardio machines. I recommend using their elliptical machine for around 30 minutes each time you go. It can give you a great cardio workout.

Last edited by RD5050; 06-18-2013 at 06:14 AM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:07 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
If you're going to be working out, you need to eat. Only consuming water and no food is a bad idea.

If I were you I would start with a simple beginners workout and run the program for 6-8 weeks. That will familiarize yourself with the movements involved with each lift. And also ease your body into weight lifting. You will be pretty sore to start, so going in gradually is best. Remember to warm up before each lift session. Try jogging for 5-10 minutes, or getting on a rowing machine for 5-10 minute. Get the body moving and the blood flowing a bit. Some dynamic stretches and a couple of warm up sets and you'll be good to go.

Also, it's very tough to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. Both of those goals are opposites for the most part. If I were you I would focus on losing weight first. Establish a diet, or at least some guidelines you'll follow and get cracking on a beginners workout routine. Also mix in cardio after you lift. Go for a run, jump on a bike, there are plenty of options to do.

I would also not skip, or omit leg lifts. Squats are amazing and work a large number of muscles in your body. I would be sure to includes some leg lifts as well to build a solid and well rounded body.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
StrongLifts: Gain Muscle And Strength While Losing Fat StrongLifts

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Its basically just 5 sets 5 reps 3 times a week using basic compound movements. You should skip aesthetics for the first few months and just work on strength and learning
the correct form. Besides if you are new to weight lifting you need time to build up strength in your tendons otherwise you may wind up with injuries or tendonitis.

Good beginner routine that a lot of people i know have used with success.

There is also another program called starting strength you can google.

Last edited by skel1977; 06-18-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM

109 posts, read 265,084 times
Quote:
Try 35 - 40lbs.
Thank you. I was not aware how far off I have gotten.

Quote:
Also, it's very tough to lose weight and build muscle at the same time.
I will now just attempt to lose weight.

I wanted to think I could magically lose weight as fast as a week or two, but it appears it will take time. It's life-changing habits that need to change and be implemented. Very tough without a support group. Thanks guys! I am reducing my caloric intake significantly. I'm sure yesterday I ate no more than 500 if even that yesterday. Let's see how today goes.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
I think fasting and drinking water to lose weight isnt the way to go. You're going to be hungry and lethargic and its going to be tough to keep it up.

All diets, exercise, should all be done in moderation and at a reasonable pace. Youre going to need to eat clean so you have some energy to do the exercise without falling asleep on the bench.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:56 PM

294 posts, read 1,107,031 times
I agree, simply fasting is not the way to go. If you really are interested in involving fasting and working out, I suggest you read up on intermittent fasting. And yes, it is extremely hard to lose weight and build muscle at the same timern. I WOULD NOT recommend starting strength or similar programs for someone as a workout program just to jump into, there is too much risk for injury.Perhaps these programs were ok, back in the day when we were more physically active. Nowadays we are degrading rapidly in regards to physical and mental health, with moving less, poorer eating habits, more sitting, and more stressful mindsets. If you're interested in lifting, first you should work on the basics, and on perfecting your form. Start off with simple bodyweight squats, goblet squats, pushups, and overhead press for form. If you cant perform a bodyweight or goblet squat you should not backsquat. If you cant hinge with proper hip alignment for goblet squats you cant deadlift, etc. etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,330,399 times
lose weight (diet) and gain muscle? no such thing imo. to gain muscle you cant be on a calorie deficient diet; body doesnt work that way. you can however, lift weights and incorporate cardio to lose fat weight. In order to gain muscle, the body must eat eat eat to get bigger, not the opposite.

Ive heard of people dieting and trying to gain muscle, but its absurd, and counter productive.

don't be skipping meals if you want to gain muscle. eat enough protein/calories to sustain muscle growth, exercise to to lose fat weight.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 06-25-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times
Default Dwaye "The Rock" Johnson

Check out the Rocks' insane diet and exercise program as he prepares for his title role in Hercules..

The Rock's 'Hercules' Diet Is Insane (PHOTOS)

Old 06-27-2013, 08:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
If you go into a serious calorie deficiency out of nowhere, the little you do eat or start to eat again is going to metabolize directly into fat.

You need to eat several high protein, low carb, low protein meals.

If you really want to lose fat and don't care about losing muscle, the Atkins is actually a great way to lose initial weight. I would never suggest it to someone who is concerned about building or preserving muscle, however.

Lots of egg whites, steak, chicken, beef, etc. throughout the day. Then have like 1 serving of oatmeal or brown rice a couple times a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness