Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,359,458 times

Advertisements

Weightlifter VS Athlete (track and field) VS Freerunner - Vertical Jump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg2Z1pusas8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 11:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,695 times
Realistically, I say leave the olympic lifting to the youth. I do powerlifting and even at 30, I've pushed past the limits of proper oly lifting. It is extremely taxing on the body with an early retirement age (sort of like gymnastics in that sense).

Powerlifting has masters, it's tons of fun, and less taxing on the body than oly lifting (it's still taxing but less so). I've never done strongman so I can't say... Have you thought of figure? Or do you prefer just lifting numbers rather than physique?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Realistically, I say leave the olympic lifting to the youth. I do powerlifting and even at 30, I've pushed past the limits of proper oly lifting. It is extremely taxing on the body with an early retirement age (sort of like gymnastics in that sense).
This makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Powerlifting has masters, it's tons of fun, and less taxing on the body than oly lifting (it's still taxing but less so). I've never done strongman so I can't say... Have you thought of figure? Or do you prefer just lifting numbers rather than physique?
What do you mean by "pwoerlifting has masters"?

I do not see how any proper lifting program is more or less taxing than oly lifting; many strength trainers also oly lift; many more would but many gyms lack the proper equipment, so they do something like hang cleans.

"Have you thought of figure? Or do you prefer just lifting numbers rather than physique?"

I am not sure what this means; does it mean are people concerned about how they look? If so, vanity priority is what body builders do and strength is a byproduct of that. It is the opposite for strength training, where strength is the priority and vanity is a byproduct of strength training. It is two sides of the same coin, and many people have a little mixture of both in their routine.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Pan Am Master's for Olympic Lifting was held in Chicago this year.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,220,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This makes no sense at all.
Have you trained in Olympic lifting???

Quote:
What do you mean by "pwoerlifting has masters"?
Okay, have you trained in powerlifting?? You understand that there are various classes of competition according to age, powerlifting having a masters level (ie. 45+ or whatever depending on the federation).

Quote:
I do not see how any proper lifting program is more or less taxing than oly lifting; many strength trainers also oly lift; many more would but many gyms lack the proper equipment, so they do something like hang cleans.
That's because you've never done competitive Oly lifting. There is a huge difference between throwing a power clean into a regular program like Starting Strength and competing in Oly lifting where you are doing 60-95% max lifts in Oly 5x a week. You can do a hang clean ever week or two as part of Crossfit just fine at 50 but do an actual Oly lifting program at 50+ (or hell even 40+) and dont' be surprised if you blow out your knees within 2 years.

Quote:
"Have you thought of figure? Or do you prefer just lifting numbers rather than physique?"

I am not sure what this means; does it mean are people concerned about how they look? If so, vanity priority is what body builders do and strength is a byproduct of that. It is the opposite for strength training, where strength is the priority and vanity is a byproduct of strength training. It is two sides of the same coin, and many people have a little mixture of both in their routine.
Figure? The female category, also there is bikini, physique in NPC, or pure bodybuilding. I have done this for 10 years, I know competitions like the back of my hand.

She's talking about competition. If what I said doesn't make sense to you, then you don't understand how to train for Oly or PL competitions. You try doing a 90% max snatch at 50+ years old and tell me how you feel. There is a reason there is a very young retirement age for Oly lifters.

If someone wants to incorporate a clean and jerk into their regular liting program with just the bar then fine - but I thought we were talking about competitions here.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,750,721 times
Quote:
Have you trained in Olympic lifting???
Yes

Quote:
Okay, have you trained in powerlifting?? You understand that there are various classes of competition according to age, powerlifting having a masters level (ie. 45+ or whatever depending on the federation).

Been powerlifting for over 20 years. I was seeking clarification on your sentence as stating "powerlifting has masters" made little sense to me. If you would have clarified it more like "powerlifting has a masters level", that would have helped me understand it more.

Quote:
That's because you've never done competitive Oly lifting. There is a huge difference between throwing a power clean into a regular program like Starting Strength and competing in Oly lifting where you are doing 60-95% max lifts in Oly 5x a week. You can do a hang clean ever week or two as part of Crossfit just fine at 50 but do an actual Oly lifting program at 50+ (or hell even 40+) and dont' be surprised if you blow out your knees within 2 years.
No, I have never competed in oly lifting, but given I still do oly lifts just fine and I am much older than you, I do not see how you can make such a broad statement like you did. Plus I did not think we were discussing oly lifting at a competitive level only as you implied, a person can lift just fine and not be at a competitive level; you make it seem like a person should just cease oly lifting all together when they reach a certain age.

Quote:
Figure? The female category, also there is bikini, physique in NPC, or pure bodybuilding. I have done this for 10 years, I know competitions like the back of my hand.

Again, seeking clarification, your sentence as written made no sense; now with the clarification, I see how it does make sense now in the context. No need to patronize when someone is just seeking clarification on what you wrote.

I have been in powerlifting comps for a number of years, but have not done so in a while because I have been competing in jiu jitsu for a number of years now.

Quote:
She's talking about competition. If what I said doesn't make sense to you, then you don't understand how to train for Oly or PL competitions. You try doing a 90% max snatch at 50+ years old and tell me how you feel. There is a reason there is a very young retirement age for Oly lifters.
She stated she was interested in competition, I did not think this meant she only wanted info regarding competition, because before that she asked what the difference was between the types of lifting.

Retirement age from competition? Or from lifting? Again, I did not think the OP was just soliciting info for competing. Most athletes are no longer competitive when they get older, but that does not mean they still cannot engage in the sport they do.

Though I am not 50, I am still much older than you, snatches feel just fine when I do them, though the gym I am at now does not have an area to do this, so i am out of luck on even trying.

Quote:
If someone wants to incorporate a clean and jerk into their regular liting program with just the bar then fine - but I thought we were talking about competitions here.
I thought we were talking about lifting, with comp included as a side topic. This is where the confusion probably came in.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 PM

There is a guy at my gym that must be in his 70's or 80's. He still lifts and even competed at Pan Am Master's in Chicago this year. Another guy at my gym is in his 40's, but does not lift 'competitively' (how do we classify this?). He competes locally, but not nationally. He lifts everyday I do.

I found a research study that found olympic lifters had denser soft tissue/bone up until they stopped lifting (60+).

Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,814,275 times
Thanks boxus and tommodonahue, I'm really enjoying this discussion. Lots of great info!!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,958,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Weightlifter VS Athlete (track and field) VS Freerunner - Vertical Jump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg2Z1pusas8
Wouldn't either expect this, or at least not be too shocked by it? To me, it just seemed natural for the lifter to have the explosive power to have a good vertical. Plus, it helped that the lifter was very small. If he had even a decent amount of mass to jump with, it could have been a little different. Plus, some people are just natural jumpers....I've seen guys that have never lifted a weight dunk a bball any way they wanted, while I've also seen guys with big powerful legs not even get close to the rim.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM

Shane Hamman (350 lbs, 35" + vert)

Also:

Quote:
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...tical-jump.htm
Some impressive vertical jump results are presented for a couple of quite heavy champion weight lifters. Nicu Vlad of Romania (bodyweight 100 kg / 220 lbs), World Record holder and two-time Olympic Weight lifting medallist in 1990, recorded a 42" vertical jump. American Wesley Barnett, 3-time Olympian and Silver Medallist at the 1997 World Championships (he is 6'1" tall and weighs 105 kg / 231 lbs), has recorded vertical jumps of over 39". (data from an article "Pulling To Jump Higher" by Chad Ikei).
(http://www.infinityfitness.com/club/...es/pull_01.htm)

When you talk about guys with big legs and guys that dunk naturally, it's a difference in Type I and Type II muscle fibers. Some people naturally have them, others do not. Obviously weightlifting trains Type II fibers..

Last edited by td333; 06-27-2013 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness