Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,806,407 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I swim every day I can (the pool is outdoors and sometimes the weather doesn't co-operate). When I first start, I am a little tired the first 20 minutes or so, but if I make it to the 30 minute mark I seem to never get tired. Last night I decided to see how long I could swim before I was too tired to swim any more. After 90 minutes of laps I had to stop not because I was tired or out of breath... but because I had to use the lady's room. My bladder betrayed me! LOL I usually swim 60 minutes a day.

Anyway, I am mainly working on fitness here and a little weight loss... I've lost 35 pounds over the past year with diet and exercise and I am pretty much at a healthy weight. I would say I have about 10 more pounds to lose (then I will be back to my early 20s weight and size--when I looked the best. Although I think I feel better now/healthier than I did then). Anyway, no matter what, I now enjoy eating and working out this way and will probably stick to it. After a year, it's just how I live. And when I can't swim, I get a little stir crazy. I think I get "swimmer's high."

My question is, can I overdo it if I am not feeling tired? I want to stay fit, not wear down my body but without feeling fatigue, I have no idea if it's too much or not. I don't want to start breaking down muscle or over exercising. My heart rate is around 140 after swimming (which is cardio zone for my age). I would say it's only moderate intensity though because I don't get winded at all. Then again, my breathing follows a rhythm due to the nature of swimming. I can feel a little tension in my muscles--but they aren't over sore. I don't feel "run down" either like I am over doing it. The only real "side effect" I have from all this is I am having trouble sleeping. I've started taking Tylonal PM in the evenings just to get to sleep. It's like I am wired for hours after swimming (wish I could do it in the morning before work, but the pool's not open).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,547 times
At this point, you may start thinking about more structured workouts, especially be adding intensity.

Consider incorporating intervals and sprints to your routine. In fact, most competitive swimmers cover most of their distance in the form of intense bursts 25 to 200 yards, followed by rest periods. Short but intense workout of 30 to 40 minutes is much more effective than long, slow swim. You will get fitter, stronger, burn more fat and build more muscle.
90 minutes is probably too much for a recreational swimmer, but steady swim of 60 minutes, at a good pace, once or twice a week is ideal for endurance building.

Also, what style do you use? If, like most people, you use front crawl, learn all the other styles, including butterfly.
The swimming workout is FAR, FAR more fun if you switch style constantly.
Front crawl is the bread-and-butter style. Backstroke is mostly for rest. Breastroke is a very fun style, looks easy but it is the most technically difficult. And then the king butterfly. Very hard physically, difficult technically. But once you learn it, you will be flying, literally and figuratively speaking. Swimming butterfly with good technique is a feeling like no other, you are truly one with the water, like a dolphin. Not to mention all the admiring glances you will get from other users of the pool.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
PS.
I wasn't clear in my initial reply to your question - I think you are doing very well workout-wise, and definitely not overdoing it. You listen to your body and the signals it sends are good. In fact, I think you are under-doing it, that's why I suggested more intensity.
Problems with sleeping are typical for people who train late in the day, perhaps you can train the most earlier in the day on weekends, or maybe at lunch time?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks Skiffrace!

I've thought about changing things up a bit and making the swimming more demanding. I started doing it for two reasons 1) to lose weight and 2) I am a scuba diver and do shore dives (meaning I swim from the shore 1/4mile to 1/2 mile out to dive, dive, then swim back). I wanted to build endurance.

I do the sidestroke and the combat sidestroke. Sometimes I will freestyle a bit, but I really like sidestoke because it works out my legs more than the other strokes. It's funny, I've gotten pretty fast with the sidestroke (faster than a lot of other regular old exercising people doing freestyle). But definitely not faster than any of the swim team when they practice! I timed myself once with my dive watch and I swim 50 meters in 70 seconds doing sidestroke and maintain that pace for the entire hour. It's not super fast, but it's not a leisurely pace either. I think of it akin to jogging vs sprinting.

Maybe a good mixing-it-up would be to still do the 60 minute swims like you mentioned but then on off days do the more intense swimming.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:56 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

My question is, can I overdo it if I am not feeling tired? I want to stay fit, not wear down my body but without feeling fatigue, I have no idea if it's too much or not. I don't want to start breaking down muscle or over exercising. My heart rate is around 140 after swimming (which is cardio zone for my age). I would say it's only moderate intensity though because I don't get winded at all. Then again, my breathing follows a rhythm due to the nature of swimming. I can feel a little tension in my muscles--but they aren't over sore. I don't feel "run down" either like I am over doing it. The only real "side effect" I have from all this is I am having trouble sleeping. I've started taking Tylonal PM in the evenings just to get to sleep. It's like I am wired for hours after swimming (wish I could do it in the morning before work, but the pool's not open).
No, not at all.

Most likely, over training is reserved for very high level athletes (like college swimmers and world class swimmers). When I was in the college waterpolo team, we trained on average 5-6 hours a day, but we swim, do cardio, run, and do some very light weight training. The most important training next to swimming is cardio workout because endurance is the most important for this type of sports. My trainer asked me to wear jeans in the swimming pool. I did get tired, but I had to be in the swimming pool for hours to get that tired.

If you only swim 30-60 minutes a day, it is not over training at all. Listen to your body, if you are exhausted, you should consider slowing it down.

edit: Professional swimmers seek over training prior to a rest period called tapering.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:57 PM

Do you know this website: Total Immersion forums
It's a great place for detailed and technical swimming questions. Some of the forum denizens are actually swimming coaches.
I think they will give much better answer than anything I can provide

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks again to both of you!

I didn't know about the other forum and will check it out. There is a swim coach at my pool (he's actually the coach for the swim team). I wonder if he teaches adults. I know other strokes, but they could use improvement.

Lily, the reason I was concerned is that I swim a full 50 minutes, 7 days a week (unless weather prevents me). I see other swimmers come and go while I am still swimming. I've started getting a little self consious about it. Especially now that I've started doing 90 minutes swims too. I get a little board swimming and start thinking silly things like, "I hope I am not burning muscle, surely all the carbs I ate are gone by now!" But I never feel tired. At worst, my shoulders are a bit stiff afterwards... for a few hours. That's it.

Anyway, thanks again!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Thanks again to both of you!

I didn't know about the other forum and will check it out. There is a swim coach at my pool (he's actually the coach for the swim team). I wonder if he teaches adults. I know other strokes, but they could use improvement.

Lily, the reason I was concerned is that I swim a full 50 minutes, 7 days a week (unless weather prevents me). I see other swimmers come and go while I am still swimming. I've started getting a little self consious about it. Especially now that I've started doing 90 minutes swims too. I get a little board swimming and start thinking silly things like, "I hope I am not burning muscle, surely all the carbs I ate are gone by now!" But I never feel tired. At worst, my shoulders are a bit stiff afterwards... for a few hours. That's it.

Anyway, thanks again!
EDIT: Whoops, made a typo... I said "a full 50 minutes" and that should have been 60. Not a big difference, but still.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmud58 View Post
a 80m Long Pond in our Campus. I swim it everyday morning..... No matters what happens. I felt tired in the beginnings but used to now.
It's great isn't it?

I am getting muscle definition in my legs now. I actually kind of don't like it because I don't think it looks feminine. I can see it in the mirror when I move around (can see the outline of muscles in my legs when I wear shorts or a dress). If I stand still, I can only see my calf muscles sticking out though.

Hopefully with the suggestion of another poster, if I mix up my swimming work out I can get some of that definition in my arms too (especially my upper arms). I would like to tone them more.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I mix up my swimming work out I can get some of that definition in my arms too (especially my upper arms).
Front crawl is propelled 80-90% by arms, unless you are an Olympic sprinter, where legs play bigger role.
Backstroke is similar. Breastroke is propelled about 50-50 by arms vs. legs and body undulation.
Butterfly is maybe 50-60% arms, the rest is body undulation and legs.
Overall, swimming is definitely and upper-body sport, so your style must be quite unusual if you build mostly legs muscles.
Also, good points about the carbs and not losing muscle tone.
We have, on average, about 90-minutes worth of glycogen stored in our liver and muscles, so that's about the longest workout you can do without tapping into your body energy supplies (fat and muscle tissue)
As in any workout, you should eat a little before the workout, and a little immediately after. A little means something like energy bar, or nutritious energy drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness