Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM

361 posts, read 724,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
You'll have better results with the exercises I recommended. You can start with dumbbells to add weight. when you get comfortable with squatting, switch to a barbell.

I suppose if you really want to use a machine, you could use one that mimics these movements, like a leg extension, leg curl, leg press...but nothing beats the machine free movements which require more stabilization & muscle recruitment.

Thanks Caligirl!

I will definetly need to talk to a personal trainer because I'm not even sure what those machines are.

It's just that I'm not as motivated to exercise on my own. Machines are just easier for me.

Well, thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 11:29 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,469,328 times
Will narrow it down even more for you: Goblet Squats

One of the other forums that I read said the the two exercises that are game changers for most women are doing goblet squats and overhead presses. If a woman is skinny it gives her muscle and if she is overweight it helps her lose fat.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm not obssesed about losing weight, I don't even need to go the gym really- I'm already slender, but I just like to exercise and I really want firmer thights.

I went to the gym today to use the hip abductor and I almost cried; it was so painful. I mean, this has never happened to me. I only used it for 20mns though, on and off.

Any advice on what else I could use apart from those machines? I will never ever use those again!

Your problem is you have never worked out and you went to the gym and used one machine for 20 minutes. Did you notice anyone else using one machine for 20 minutes?

What you should have done on your first trip to the gym is had someone show you how to do several exercises. I suggest you start with machines and then gradually incorporate some free weights. Many of the people on this site want to push advanced weight lifting exercises but you are not ready for that. Find 6-8 exercises and do those for a couple of months before you move on to more advanced programs.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Nothing beats this routine in the gym.

I also have a routine that I use when I'm away from the gym (which is most of the summer) to keep my legs strong. Called a leg blaster and it is 20 air squats, 20 alternate leg lunges, 20 alternate leg jumping lunges and 10 jumping squats (squat down and jump up).
GREAT idea!! I'm on the road & Im going to do this tonight!!!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 PM

361 posts, read 724,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Simply up your daily calorie intake and that will negate any loses you're seeing by running.
Easier said than done. I'm one of those people who easily lose weight and can hardly gain any. I really have to eat a whole lot for that to happen and I don't want to smother myself with food in order to gain weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your problem is you have never worked out and you went to the gym and used one machine for 20 minutes. Did you notice anyone else using one machine for 20 minutes?

What you should have done on your first trip to the gym is had someone show you how to do several exercises. I suggest you start with machines and then gradually incorporate some free weights. Many of the people on this site want to push advanced weight lifting exercises but you are not ready for that. Find 6-8 exercises and do those for a couple of months before you move on to more advanced programs.
I actually used that machine once. The first time I didn't feel as much pain while I was using it, but I really felt it the next day, as I could barely walk. This time around I asked a personal trainer if there was anything else I could use in the gym, he said no. He also told me the reason why I felt that much pain was because it was my first time using it; so he recommended that I used it at least once a week for me to get used to the machine. He didn't mention anything about the time I should spend on it though. I followed his advise, but I really think I shouldn't have listened to him!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
I already do a lot of running and hiking. Actually, I stopped running because I realized it's making me lose weight!
I'm really not trying to do too much here, just enough to give me some results.

Thanks!
As the other posters said squats, lunges and step-ups are far superior to using any machine. Once you have mastered those start adding weights. You can Google a million different variations on these three basic but ever so important moves. Do not ignore your core either because that is the area that gives you the strength to do just about everything else.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,229,622 times
Quote:
I actually used that machine once. The first time I didn't feel as much pain while I was using it, but I really felt it the next day, as I could barely walk. This time around I asked a personal trainer if there was anything else I could use in the gym, he said no. He also told me the reason why I felt that much pain was because it was my first time using it; so he recommended that I used it at least once a week for me to get used to the machine. He didn't mention anything about the time I should spend on it though. I followed his advise, but I really think I shouldn't have listened to him!
Oh dear That is very bad advice.

OP, I think most people do not understand resistance training (and neither does that fool who is apparently qualified to teach others).

I have a nice 'toned' butt (using laymen's terms) and I have never once used a machine in my life. In fact I have never done more than 12-15 repetitions of any exercise really, usually 4-6 repetitions and 2-3 sets, that's pretty much it. I use free weights - barbell squat, lunges, step ups, and lots of kettlebell work.

Most girls don't achieve the results because they go do 50 repetitions (or more, god knows how many you did in 20 minutes), wasting time on isolation machines and not the stuff that really challenges the glutes/hamstrings.

I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women", it's a book, that will teach you what to do in the gym. The truth is, men and women don't really train differently with the exception of implants or pregnancy, but it also has a good section on dispelling myths for women who don't know anything about lifting (which is most).

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
You used it once but for 20 minutes. The idea behind lifting weights is to do multiple sets. Each set consists of a number of repetitions. Beginners should start with 8-12 repetitions in each set. You should use enough weight that you reach failure somewhere between the 8th and 12th rep. Many experienced lifters heavier weight and do less reps per set.

Muscle pain is to be expected when you do an exercise for the first time, that's why you should have taken it very easy for at least the first 3-4 times you lift. I get very sore from squats if I haven't done them for a week. Soreness disappears if you lift on a regular basis, such as 3 times a week. The trainer doesn't appear to be giving you good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Oh dear That is very bad advice.

OP, I think most people do not understand resistance training (and neither does that fool who is apparently qualified to teach others).

I have a nice 'toned' butt (using laymen's terms) and I have never once used a machine in my life. In fact I have never done more than 12-15 repetitions of any exercise really, usually 4-6 repetitions and 2-3 sets, that's pretty much it. I use free weights - barbell squat, lunges, step ups, and lots of kettlebell work.

Most girls don't achieve the results because they go do 50 repetitions (or more, god knows how many you did in 20 minutes), wasting time on isolation machines and not the stuff that really challenges the glutes/hamstrings.

I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women", it's a book, that will teach you what to do in the gym. The truth is, men and women don't really train differently with the exception of implants or pregnancy, but it also has a good section on dispelling myths for women who don't know anything about lifting (which is most).

Good luck.
How are we supposed to believe this without pictures to prove it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness