Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I read it. I thought it was a boring book. We don't need running to stay alive anymore, we just need to suck up the boss really well. Let's collaborate on a training plan that emphasizes those skills. Add 10%/week to your level of sucking up, otherwise you risk doing too much too soon and the boss and/or your coworkers may sideline you.
So you don't think that a system that was built by the machine of evolution to run might not have been built to not sustain injury doing it? I will grant that I have no idea why the duck-billed platypus exists, so it is possible.

Quote:

Can we agree that shoe companies are the devil? Let's collaborate on a competitor to the shoe industry. We can work together to create a barefoot running industry! Step #1: brainstorm product ideas.

Huh, I think I will just run in feet. Cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Ummmm because they WANT to? Seriously, you see someone out there getting exercise and you actually think, "They're not doing that right! Why do they bother!?" Wow, maybe .... instead?...you could just think, "Cool! Good for them!"

Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So you don't think that a system that was built by the machine of evolution to run might not have been built to not sustain injury doing it? I will grant that I have no idea why the duck-billed platypus exists, so it is possible.
You're evoking the theory of evolution?! That's garbage...what does the bible say about running? Would Jesus be runing in his 60's? I think we should explore whether it's God's plan for us to run and if so, is it OK if I run with another male?

I think that most likely, evolution did not intend for us to run in the same way we run today. After all, I don't see many apes running 26.2 miles or organizing 5k's - I'm joking about the apes.

I also don't know where in the evolutional system we are but I would guess that evolution hasn't caught up to the way we run today.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You're evoking the theory of evolution?! That's garbage...what does the bible say about running? Would Jesus be runing in his 60's? I think we should explore whether it's God's plan for us to run and if so, is it OK if I run with another male?
Huh? I am saying that machines do what they are designed to do.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Huh? I am saying that machines do what they are designed to do.
Machines can do things they weren't designed to do.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:46 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
They are usually out of shape and likely have not exercised in a few years, or ever in their lives. They need to get back into shape or lose weight.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times

Old 07-11-2013, 07:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Evidence? You're asking for research results and sources? Come on. I am aware of the studies that show running is OK and in many cases it is. I am also aware that almost all of the research is funded by shoe companies and the like. Even the one's that have authors with appropriate credentials, their research is funded by...you guessed it. The research can be skewed, like a lot of research in other fields. And many of the write ups state that to avoid joint damage do this or that (a certain technique, a certain piece of equipment, etc.), implying that things need to be employed to avoid joint damage. Just look at all the articles in rag magazines and more valid sources...much of them are dedicated to information on how to avoid injury.

I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't run. It's a great form of exercise...I do it, I am a runner. But for most people, at a certain age, it is adviseable to find an alternative form of aerobic exercise that has a lesser impact on the skeletal system and joints. It doesn't have to be supported by research (which is never definitive and always questionable) when there is such a high element of common sense. We can go back and forth all day debating the research but when a person uses the results in combination with common sense, they realize that running causes/contributes to/aggravates/(whatever you want to say) more injuries than other low impact forms of exercise. So I'll use my own anecdotal experience too - I see many more people coming from running to cycling because of an injury or come pain than I see cyclists going to running.

If you've been around it for a long time then you probably know that when you do it and are around it long enough you are able to incorporate research as part of the decision making process rather than research results being the only piece. Now come on, be real, think lucidly. I know that there are people who can run safely into their 60's but for most people who are getting up there in yrs, is that the best option for their main form of aerobic exercise?
Can you provide an example of all of this research that is funded by shoe companies? Running shoe companies have little to gain by funding studies like this. It is not going to help them sell more shoes. An I have never seen a shoe company advertise there shoes as being kinder to old people's joints.

What is that certain age you are referring to when people should "find an alternative form of aerobic exercise that has a lesser impact on the skeletal system and joints?" I know people in their 70s and 80s who are competitive racers; I better tell them they should find another form of aerobic exercise.

I signed up for the City of Pittsburgh Great Race (10K) today and looked at the results from last year. There were 39 finishers over the age of 70. Nine of those racers finished under 60 minutes and 3 finished under 50 minutes. A man who is 88 finished in 01:03:53. See Active.com Race Results

Old 07-12-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Can you provide an example of all of this research that is funded by shoe companies? Running shoe companies have little to gain by funding studies like this. It is not going to help them sell more shoes. An I have never seen a shoe company advertise there shoes as being kinder to old people's joints.

What is that certain age you are referring to when people should "find an alternative form of aerobic exercise that has a lesser impact on the skeletal system and joints?" I know people in their 70s and 80s who are competitive racers; I better tell them they should find another form of aerobic exercise.

I signed up for the City of Pittsburgh Great Race (10K) today and looked at the results from last year. There were 39 finishers over the age of 70. Nine of those racers finished under 60 minutes and 3 finished under 50 minutes. A man who is 88 finished in 01:03:53. See Active.com Race Results
Your missing some of my points. Not sure why.

Yes, I can provide some of the research but I will not. I don't care to spend time looking for the articles and then provide proof of how they were funded just so you can argue it...but you can. So instead of just sitting there like a drooling sloth and saying feed me the information so I can refute it, do it yourself...if you are really interested in knowing it that is (rather than simply refuting).

I don't know why you think the shoe industry has little to gain by funding the studies. That is a strange thought. THey are the ones that have everything to gain. It's not going to help them sell shoes? Really? Man, that is a bizzare thought. I'll make it basic, if people understand that they are not at risk of injuring themselves, they are more likely to pick up the sport, and people don't run in their house slippers. Who do you think funds most of these studies? Not all, just most? And all those articles written by athletes about running...who sponsors those athletes? It ain't I'm not arguing here about if what is in the article that was written by the athlete is true, just that it is heavily influenced. Oh, and all those magazine articles written by impartial writers, reviewers, etc. How do you think that magazine manages to stay in business? What is its main form of revenue? That's right, ads. And which comanies put ads in running magazines? Come on man, use your brain...it's so obvious and right there in front of you. Try to understand that articles and studies can be influenced so the results may not be completely impartial. When was the last time you picked up a running rag mag and looked through the shoe reviews? Ever see a negative review that recommends not buying the shoe? I feel like I'm talking to a 6 yr old.

There is no certain age, don't try to be smart. And I know people in their 70's and 80 who run too - I'll bet the 70 and 80 yr olds can wipe the floor with your 70 and 80 yr olds. I said it before but here goes again...listen carefully this time. I am not referring to ALL older people. I am referring to MOST, that means above 50% of 80 yr olds. I do not think that most 80 yr olds should choose running as their main activity for aerobic health. Do we really need an article or a study for that? The fact that you now five 80 yr olds who run isn't really compelling. I can walk outside and find 500 who don't and can't. Know why? BECAUSE THEY ARE 80 YRS OLD! Hello. And I'll betcha that most of those 70 and 80 yr olds you know would benefit more (in terms of physical health) from an activity that has less impact...if they can find the mental strength to pull themselves away from the free T shirt events.

Those 39 finishers and especially that 88 yr old dude? Yeah, that really proves your point (no it doesn't). None of those people are exceptions, definitely not that 88 yr old. All those other 88 yr olds...what a bunch of lazy schlubs! They should all do a 10k competition.

Let's be logical ova here shall we? Humans are not built to run for the distances some of us (especially the ones that train) run. And we definitely weren't built to run on concrete/asphalt/etc. When we are younger our bodies are stronger and we can withstand the impact better. As we age things change and the impact affects us more - in a negative "more". When that negative begins to tip the risk vs. reward scale too far towards risk, it is advisable to consider a different activity. The rate at which the scale tips is different for different people (obviously), and there are exceptions of course. But in general, most people, as they get up in years and depending on what their level of activity has been should consider something other than running as their primary form of aerobic activity. It's really simple and logical, I don't see your confusion - it's basic stuff that even a couch potato can understand.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Let's be logical ova here shall we? Humans are not built to run for the distances some of us (especially the ones that train) run.
Your research conflicts with my research. That is precisely what we were designed to do. That was precisely our evolutionary advantage that caused us to survive until and while we figured out how to use our thumbs and our brains to make tools. Our legs muscles make excellent shock absorbers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness