Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:47 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,459,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post

Any gals in this forum want to try me? I'll meet you under the bleachers at lunch period.
You live to far away. I'd probably get my a## whooped anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
bleachers? Lunch period? I can't make it from the boardroom to the high school at lunch.
Excuses Excuses

And I'll take a pack of pens when you put in the next office supply order. The ball point fine rollers, not the crappy kinds.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
she can wrestle my bald champ choke hold submission
I must spread my rep around, darn it.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
In a competitive match? No.

I have done matches against women in training. And of course, there are those playful matches with your significant other in the privacy of your own home.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby1925 View Post
I wrestled in High School and I currently box, but while I was in HS I never wrestled another female (our team did not have any female wrestlers, and I never went against one from another school.) I do occasionally spar with females in boxing (not fight them,) but that's more to work on technique as opposed to trying to beat the other person.

Something that I find fascinating, though, is that whenever there is a video on Youtube depicting a woman beating a guy in jiu-jitsu, wrestling or whatever, there will be comments that fall into extreme white-knighting from some of the male commenters. These aren't comments that simply praise the winning female, but rather include statements that "women are superior!" "women are getting stronger then men!" and so on. They never really take into account that she was probably simply more skilled than him, or that he made careless mistakes and she capitalized on them. Grappling is rarely about strength; a guy who can't get near to benching his weight can take down a much stronger guy with better technique. To me, and I know this will be a bit controversial but it's my view, these comments aren't so much "you go girl!" but rather come from guys with some kind of amazon fetish who like getting beat up or thrown around by a stronger woman (which makes me curious about the direction of this thread.) While I find that type of fantasy...different, I suppose they like things like that because they probably would have a tough time, if it was possible at all, to find a woman willing to fulfill that fantasy.

In terms of actual man vs. woman type matches, I honestly think it's kind of a lose-lose situation for the guy. Especially in High School, where there is a lot of peer pressure, if the guy wins it's expected with minimal consequence to the losing female. If the female wins, then she gets heaps of praise and the guy probably faces a lot of mockery from his peers. As to whether I would compete against a girl, in boxing definitely no. If I were still in wrestling, maybe.
In judo randori when I first started out, I was a 300-pound white belt in my first month working against a 220-pound female black belt with two decades of experience. She tried some of her favorite techniques - she was a strong woman - but kept talking about how strong I was and how she couldn't do anything. We went at it for almost an hour, almost non stop, and she finally pinned me once (i had gotten her about 20 times) using her superior skill and my absolute exhaustion against me. She was really happy and told me I was the strongest person she had ever faced in more than 20 years of judo. I told her in jest that she should have beaten me long before then because she was a black belt and I was a beginner.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
In judo randori when I first started out, I was a 300-pound white belt in my first month working against a 220-pound female black belt with two decades of experience. She tried some of her favorite techniques - she was a strong woman - but kept talking about how strong I was and how she couldn't do anything. We went at it for almost an hour, almost non stop, and she finally pinned me once (i had gotten her about 20 times) using her superior skill and my absolute exhaustion against me. She was really happy and told me I was the strongest person she had ever faced in more than 20 years of judo. I told her in jest that she should have beaten me long before then because she was a black belt and I was a beginner.
A 220lbs female?

Anyway, is the result because she was a female? Or would a male have the same result? Was she a mcdojo black belt, or is her belt lineage confirmed? There are many crappy judo schools that hand out belts like cookies, jiu jitsu will be the same soon enough.

Anyway, this is back to my point about equilibrium; there comes a point where size/strength has an absolute advantage, hence the classes in competition.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A 220lbs female?

Anyway, is the result because she was a female? Or would a male have the same result? Was she a mcdojo black belt, or is her belt lineage confirmed? There are many crappy judo schools that hand out belts like cookies, jiu jitsu will be the same soon enough.

Anyway, this is back to my point about equilibrium; there comes a point where size/strength has an absolute advantage, hence the classes in competition.
Yup. A 220-lb female. She later lost 40 lbs and is now a trainer. She was a big, broad lady, not really tall at 5-9 but really thick and country strong. She was as strong as some men I've wrestled. She was a legit black belt....other than Phil Porter lineage there are no McDojo promotions in Kodokan Judo. I think a male of similar size and skill would have wiped up the floor with me, honestly. Despite her experience she was relatively easy to defend against. She couldn't throw me and only pinned me that one time. But by the time I hit brown belt I was pretty much impossible to throw by anyone except accomplished black belt players above 200 lbs.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM

632 posts, read 932,903 times
Quote:
Yup. A 220-lb female. She later lost 40 lbs and is now a trainer. She was a big, broad lady, not really tall at 5-9 but really thick and country strong. She was as strong as some men I've wrestled. She was a legit black belt....other than Phil Porter lineage there are no McDojo promotions in Kodokan Judo. I think a male of similar size and skill would have wiped up the floor with me, honestly. Despite her experience she was relatively easy to defend against. She couldn't throw me and only pinned me that one time. But by the time I hit brown belt I was pretty much impossible to throw by anyone except accomplished black belt players above 200 lbs.
How do you think a fit, but untrained male would stack up against a similar sized female who knows judo?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
How do you think a fit, but untrained male would stack up against a similar sized female who knows judo?
She'd kick his butt on skill alone. His superior strength would help in the short run, but she'd prevail.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
I am just wondering how proficient she possibly could be weighing that much; gives me an indicator she is not in shape, thus lacking some serious practicing. I could not imagine doing BJJ for 20 years and not have some low BF%.

But I am talking a little out of my knowledge, I do not know much about judo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness