Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:17 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times

Advertisements

Well I just wanted to give my advice to anyone who is considering a home spinner bike.

My partner just bought us a Kaiser M3+ and it is a top notch bike! I have never worked out with spinner bikes and I am an avid bike rider and I was blown away at the smoothness and ease of increasing or decreasing the resistance. It has very interesting resistance technology. Anyway it will kick your butt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:01 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times
I absolutely love the Keiser bikes! Their resistance system makes it easier for you to go by the numbers and also for spin instructors to suggest the required tension to the class. Just an awesome bike, hope you really enjoy it

Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
I love spin biking - I do it at the gym 3 times a week and a class once a week. I'd love to have one at home. How much?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I love spin biking - I do it at the gym 3 times a week and a class once a week. I'd love to have one at home. How much?
It'll run you around $1800.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
My partner paid 1800 for it. But to me it is well worth it if you use it 4-5 times a week for the rest of your able life! It is so smooth and changing the resistance is beyond easy. It is a great bike to have for the serious workout folks.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
Just checked for UK and that bike is £1,200. So about the same.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,697 times
Default Proform Spinning bikes

Does anyone have experience with the Proform line? I've seen the commercials throughout the Tour De France coverage, but I've never tried these bikes.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Proform line? I've seen the commercials throughout the Tour De France coverage, but I've never tried these bikes.
Looks like there is a new version of it this year - some additional gadgets and such.

I personally am not familiar with it but there has been discussion and input on RoadBikeReview.com about it. Most of the discussion is that the screen and features can be motivational to some extent but they are not worth the cost of the thing. Many avid cyclists are purists though so take the discussions with a grain of salt. They suggest rollers but for those not man enough for that, a trainer. Going beyond a trainer would be ludicrous to the purists.

I understand the benefit of such contraptions to mortals but personally, I find it easier to identify with the purists.

$1800? Wow and ouch. I'll stick with my good 'ol much less expensive but effective trainer. I guess I would say that the pros use rollers and trainers when they train indoors. I'll stick to what the professionals use and their coaches recommend.

But if one isn't going to actually ever ride outside and doesn't own a bike, I guess considering something like that stationary bike is worthwhile.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Looks like there is a new version of it this year - some additional gadgets and such.

I personally am not familiar with it but there has been discussion and input on RoadBikeReview.com about it. Most of the discussion is that the screen and features can be motivational to some extent but they are not worth the cost of the thing. Many avid cyclists are purists though so take the discussions with a grain of salt. They suggest rollers but for those not man enough for that, a trainer. Going beyond a trainer would be ludicrous to the purists.

I understand the benefit of such contraptions to mortals but personally, I find it easier to identify with the purists.

$1800? Wow and ouch. I'll stick with my good 'ol much less expensive but effective trainer. I guess I would say that the pros use rollers and trainers when they train indoors. I'll stick to what the professionals use and their coaches recommend.

But if one isn't going to actually ever ride outside and doesn't own a bike, I guess considering something like that stationary bike is worthwhile.
I ride both outside and on my new spinner bike and I get very different results. The spinner is a really good workout. I have never used one but I can tell you it certainly will challenge you.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
How long do you spin when you work out?

I go a hard 30 minutes and it is so different than a hard 30 minutes for outdoor biking.

It works my cardio good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness