Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times

Advertisements

Homer said it best

"Hey, they have chairs with wheels and here I am using my legs like a sucker!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

420 posts, read 697,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
He needs to stop.
Some of us don't give a d_mn if we are fat or not.
Bright side? Walking up the stairs instead of using elevator gives us even more time to BURY OUR FACES IN PHONE!!!! **** YEAH!!!

Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Gosh, the way this thread started, I was thinking this was some huge mandate.

Making staircases attractive and encouraging developers to make "active design" choices? This stuff is minor. And already happening. I do not see any "nanny state" stuff here.

Active design is already happening.

I work in an office occasionally, where we are borrowing space. The building has it so the elevators are open to the public from 830-530, but you need a keyfob to access the stairs. So basically, I can't take the stairs since I am a visitor.

We have engineered out ctivity, we might as re-engineer it in. Sidewalks and stairs are a good start.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default Darwin Got it Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
He needs to stop.
Some of us don't give a d_mn if we are fat or not.

You would think that the morbidly obese, who are admittedly one heartbeat away from a dirt bath, would in time select themselves out. But darn, there seems to be more of them everyday.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,951 times
I'll make a deal with Turdbloom: I'll take the stairs if he takes a flying **** on a rollin' donut.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
do people really think stairs is going impact obesity?

Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In his fight against obesity, Mayor Bloomberg has gone after large, sugary sodas and calorie-packed menus. Now he thinks your building is making you fat.

In his latest public health crusade, Bloomberg rolled out an executive order, guidelines and two proposed laws on Wednesday to encourage New Yorkers to skip elevators and climb stairs.
I LOVE it! Why stop at the stairs, why don't we walk while we use walking stations, all day? And let's have companies stop serving sugary foods and high calorie foods. But, that means they would have to put measures in place to stop people from eating double portions. Or cheating. So...No potlucks. Lunch bags are checked at the door, all unhealthy food is tossed. <evil grins> Everyone has to wear electronic devices that measures all food intake, all activity, and all non-productive work (LOL!). Those who don't abide by the "plan" get zapped. Total forced behavior modification ...<evil grins> And when we are "good", then we can be paid $90 for every 5 lbs lost just as they are doing in Dubai...except I want mine in gold!! Yahoo!

Seriously, I went to the big work pow wow meeting on monday. The corporate goals are all about making California healthier, and correcting childhood obesity (like they've been successful with any measure thus far!...BMI wheels do nada). I kept thinking, "what about adult obesity? What about your damn employees? Don't you think we should model this healthiness ourselves. That would be perfect advertising." But no, it's all smoke & mirrors BS. I'd like to know if health outcomes have changed and obesity has decreased with our wellness programs. It's great that there is a little incentive, but I see the majority getting fatter, not healthier.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:21 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
do people really think stairs is going impact obesity?
Yes, there are still plenty of people out there that think that diet has a minimal role in weight.

A person could not leave the sofa and be at 10% body fat; a person could exercise to the moon and back and still be at 30% body fat; diet is the main factor in weight.

Taking the stairs twice or four times a day is not going to do anything. The way some people think, it will be even more excuses to eat; "I took the stairs, I can have a few donuts!"

Old 07-25-2013, 08:22 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
You would think that the morbidly obese, who are admittedly one heartbeat away from a dirt bath, would in time select themselves out. But darn, there seems to be more of them everyday.
The more of them there are, the more some of them justify their condition as being "normal".

Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I blame better healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness