Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm really sorry. But if you are that strapped and are blowing $3000 a year on a gym while your family has pressing financial needs, you need to realize that's being a little narcissistic.
Appreciate the thoughts but can't figure out where I said we were 'that strapped'. It's only become food for thought since I am writing a big check for tuition AND will be sending around $50 per week to a boy in college. Since I'm footing the college bill - I'm not feeling all that narcissistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Sounds like you go to Equinox. I go to a golds that has everything but a track and pool, and it's 25 bucks a month.
Actually I go to a very small, private gym. But - everything is trainer based and that's where the fees start to add up. I'm going with my plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I just sat down and figured out my gym fees for all of 2012, and it came to a whopping $3000!

I was shocked that I had spent that much. I belong to a small, private, class-based gym and really love it there. Love the trainers, the people, and the friends I've made. Love the variety of classes - from spinning to pilates to TRX, kickboxing, etc.

But ~ getting ready to send my son to college and this is an expense I have to get a handle on or at least manage better.

I really hate going to a gym and doing the elliptical, etc. I do have one at home and going to have to start using it more often! A big thing here is doing the 'steps' at two lakes/reservoirs, that we have.
Seems like a pretty good workout and it's free . . . .but I seem to need people around me . . . .maybe I can get it down to two classes a week at the pricey gym and do the rest on my own.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'll be so sad if I have to give up my gym completely.
You don't need a gym. All you need is a place to pull your body up. You can get a great body with just calisthenics and a clean diet.

If you want to add something else, and while I'm relatively new to this type of exercise, I would suggest a kettlebell.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:31 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,841,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Actually I go to a very small, private gym. But - everything is trainer based and that's where the fees start to add up. I'm going with my plan.
I'm paying a similar cost. I also go to s small, private, weight lifting focused gym. The supervising trainers are included in the cost. I just wished there were more trainers, so I could have one on one training. Because of my special needs & medical history, I do additional personal training with a guy who specializes in rehab and that's even more expensive. My one wish is that highly qualified personal (one on one) trainer was available at my primary gym.

The cost is worth it to me. I can't lift heavy weights without being in a gym setting. And I know I will not do much more than cardio without the accountability of meeting the trainer.

PS. I use kettle bells, but I prefer doing so under the supervision of a trainer.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:46 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Ringo here are my thoughts. If you enjoy going to this gym and can afford it then do not feel guilty. You are taking care of your health and that is the most important gift you can give to your family and yourself. Its okay to spend money on ourselves when we need to because we need health and happiness as well.
I love my gym but its 20 minutes away. There is a gym 3 minutes from my door and its a nice gym, but I like MY gym. I like the people, I have lots of friends there, I love the pool and the equipment. So that is where I go.
Now if you really cannot afford this gym then you need to think seriously of alternatives.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:22 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
No gyms for me....all I need is a good pair of running shoes and the outdoors, and I have a weight bench for home.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:40 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
I pay a total of $420.00 a year and have access to about 6 different gyms in the area. You are definitely getting reipped off. I would get out of there if I was you.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Going to a private gym is your business and no one elses. Going to any gym is your business and no one elses, although, of course, there will be those who criticize how you spend your money.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
24 Hour Fitness 2-year ALL-CLUB SPORT Membership Certificate

$350 for 2 years. If you don't have a Costco card, buy it online and use your friends card info. Thats what I did.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, complaining about gym costs is moronic. The chain gyms are cheap. I don't have a 24 horu fitness near me but the local chain gym is $11 a month.

Its a massive tell, if you can't workout for cheap...you are bad with money.

Assumption? Sure.
A massive leap? No.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:32 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
24 Hour Fitness 2-year ALL-CLUB SPORT Membership Certificate

$350 for 2 years. If you don't have a Costco card, buy it online and use your friends card info. Thats what I did.

Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, complaining about gym costs is moronic. The chain gyms are cheap. I don't have a 24 horu fitness near me but the local chain gym is $11 a month.

Its a massive tell, if you can't workout for cheap...you are bad with money.

Assumption? Sure.
A massive leap? No.
No thanks to the 24 Hour Fitness.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:05 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,971,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No thanks to the 24 Hour Fitness.

I go to the gym to workout not make friends. My workout constant of ZERO talking. I like having good cardio machines, dumbells, benches, and room/pads for planks and other core exercises.

I don't give a damn about making friends, the employees, or germs. I care about any appearance and getting my workout done. I care about ME while I'm at the gym. If you care about all the other factors, then 24 Hour Fitness sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness