Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times

Advertisements

If I were you I would start out with a simple beginner routine. You can easily do a Google search and find a multitude of options. Muscle and Strength is a great site that has a bunch of info as well as workout routines suitable for any goal.

Start with a simple beginner routine and run that for 8-10 weeks. This will allow your body to get into the swing of lifting weights and allow you to familiarize yourself with the lifts. Form is very important and one of the biggest ways to avoid injury and get the full benefit of a lift. If you want to keep costs down, I would watch videos online to see how the movement should be done(as opposed to hiring a trainer). If you do run the beginner routine, the weight you're lifting would be light to start which would allow you time to really nail down the form of the lift. You can easily work in cardio with this type of a program as well.

Once you have run the beginner program for a while you can move on to a more intensive program like a 4 day split, or simply run an A B full body routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 AM

54 posts, read 105,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH59 View Post
Hi All

I am a male age 53 and would like to start a workout program at one of thelocal fitness centers. My question(s) are since I have not done anythinglike this in a number of years how do I get started. I am interested inweights and perhaps treadmill and elliptical. I would like to get in shape and take off some pounds I have no expectations of looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger.
What level of weight should I start off with? How many for each type of exercise? I am thinking of bench press, curls etc. My current exercise is walking on the weekends about 80 - 90 miles a month. My stamina is pretty good and I usually walk about 8 miles in a clip. Thanks in advance for the advice.
I am shocked! You shouldn't have any weight to lose at 90 miles a month, that is 3 miles a day. I am 67, and losing a pound a day walking 2 miles a day. So I suspect it has more to do with your diet. I eat 90% veggie & fruit to 10% meat (fish-chicken), NO fast food-NO resturant food-NO frozen boxed stuff, etc., no sodas, no sugars. IF it isn't natural, don't eat or drink it. You can lose weight eating, if you eat the right foods in moderation, followed by exercise like walking (all 3 meals).

As to getting fit, ride on with pumping some iron. I need to do it myself. I will probably buy a 100 lb bar bell set, and work out at home. I just bought an Nordatrack elliptical, figuring I will need it when the rains set in. It is a harder work out than just speed walking, for me anyway. I pound the pavement.

There are a lot of supplements, foods, spices & herbs to drop pounds with as well. I have a lot of physical issues, so every bit is helping me get my health back. I am doing a lot of homeopathic stuff as well. wish you well!!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM

91 posts, read 177,064 times
quote shinning
I am shocked! You shouldn't have any weight to lose at 90 miles a month, that is 3 miles a day. I am 67, and losing a pound a day walking 2 miles a day. So I suspect it has more to do with your diet. I eat 90% veggie & fruit to 10% meat (fish-chicken), NO fast food-NO resturant food-NO frozen boxed stuff, etc., no sodas, no sugars. IF it isn't natural, don't eat or drink it. You can lose weight eating, if you eat the right foods in moderation, followed by exercise like walking (all 3 meals).

You are right about my eating habits and that is an issue unto itself. I eat fresh vegetables every day, however I have a definite weakness for red meat and alcohol. That is to say that when eating I enjoy wine/beer with my food.
Your 90 to 10 ratio is quite impressive.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
4. At a first sign of injury, stop and let it heal.
I agree with a little further information. I am 45. For years and years and years, my hip caused me pain that dramatically interfered with my ability to work out. MRIs, XRays and all the whole thing yielded nada. No injury. Finally someone recommended a manual physical therapist. I was lucky in that my problem was obvious and easy to solve. I had a nerve that was crammed between bunched up ribs. Later when the knee on the same side started acting up, a trip back to him solved the problem.

So sometimes when your body complains, it is not necessarily an obvious injury or even at the site of the pain. I have fiends for who PT as well as chiropractic have helped addressed some of these issues. Be patient and slowly try to find root causes.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:51 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
Feel free to do the same routine over and over, but harder each time. It's called training. That's what people who get strong/fast/better do.

For weights, stick to:
Military press
deadlift
squat
bench

eventually
dips
chin ups

talk to doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness