Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:50 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use the Total Gym which Chuck Norris promotes in the infomercials? It's supposed to be good for both cardio vascular and muscle conditioning. I'm just wondering if it's as good as it's made out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:16 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Probably not.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,306,635 times
I think the concept is reasonable. One point to consider is that the commercials show the individual pushing/pulling at a slow pace which probably burns fewer calories...I would guess faster pace is required. Regardless, my opinion is that a work out is a work out, as long as, your not being a couple potato, your golden. I see people doing a variety of wrokouts, the lay down bicycle, gardening or shopping for workouts. With that said, I think Total Gym would be effective if it fits the individual's goal. For me, no way.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Anything that has to convince you with peoples success stories, before and after pictures, and hire a celeb is not something i would buy.(just htink p90x) You want a total gym, buy a power rack, a flat bench and weights to go with it. Can pretty much do full body workouts with the equipment i listed

Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 43,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Anything that has to convince you with peoples success stories, before and after pictures, and hire a celeb is not something i would buy.(just htink p90x) You want a total gym, buy a power rack, a flat bench and weights to go with it. Can pretty much do full body workouts with the equipment i listed
P90x does work if you follow it. My co-worker was on it. It took him a couple months longer, but he is lean and cut.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,249,853 times
it's Chuck Norris!!! it's got to be badzazz

-saucy

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,807,707 times
As I mentioned before with the Bowflex, the Total Gym is a piece of gym equipment, an like any piece of gym equipment it has its pros and cons.

The Total Gym looks very portable and can be advantageous if you live in a small environment, like an apartment or if you rent a room. You are using your own bodyweight to perform the exercises, so it is actual resistance training. The problem is that there could come a point where you simply become too strong to do certain exercises effectively. Any weight bearing exercise in which you can perform more than 12 reps without the last one being a struggle isn't going to be beneficial for you.

Finally, keep in mind that athlete and celebrity "endorsements" have very little weight into their effectiveness. In fact, there is a probably a good chance that said individual never even uses the machine that they're harking. I make no judgements about how a celebrity or former athlete makes a living, but you need to understand the business behind celebrity endorsements. I see this a lot in fitness and bodybuilding magazines. You see bodybuilders and fitness stars like Phil Heath, Jay Cutler, Ronnie Coleman, Dana Lynn Bailey and so forth advertising this supplement or Cell-Tech or whatever, and maybe they do use it because as a condition of their sponsorship the company sends them free supplements. But the inference that those ads try to give the reader/viewer is "hey, if you take this protein powder/creatine/whatever, you'll look like this!" Nope!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adudehere View Post
P90x does work if you follow it. My co-worker was on it. It took him a couple months longer, but he is lean and cut.

It works as a weight loss program. It does not work as they would like you believe which is putting on crazy muscles and getting shredded like the pictures of the people they advertise. You can not build muscle doing cardio, the body doesent work that way. P90x does a great job marketing though.

And yes I have done p90x in the past. I cut weight using it as well.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
I bought a knock-off several years ago and dropped 20+ pounds with just that. I was more toned, stronger, and healthier; but I never believed anyone could use it and come out looking like Chuck Norris.

I recommend it if you like to work out lazily (sitting while watching TV). Most moves can be done in the seated or lying position, a few kneeling. There's no jumping around, and I didn't really sweat that much. I think you'd eventually plateau, but you can up the amount of body weight you use but only to a point. I didn't know much about cardio versus weight training when I used it, but I just remember hearing you would get both a cardio and weight-training workout when using it. Also, I didn't use it only 10 minutes a day like the infomercial said. I probably used it a good half hour five to six times a week.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:22 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
It works as a weight loss program. It does not work as they would like you believe which is putting on crazy muscles and getting shredded like the pictures of the people they advertise. You can not build muscle doing cardio, the body doesent work that way. P90x does a great job marketing though.

And yes I have done p90x in the past. I cut weight using it as well.
I use P90X and it can put muscle on a person, if they use more weight as they go and with proper eating. I don't really find the push/pull or shoulder/bi/tri disk to be that much cardio. For someone who never works out, I can see such a person thinking it is cardio, as you do get a good workout. The other disk are definitely cardio leaning though. I find certain muscle/strength building disks to work well. I have gain strength using them, but only by not doing the cardio stuff. P90X does seem to be more focused on weight loss than gain. I think it mostly depends on someone's view of "crazy muscle" and "shredded." I've never seen body builder types claim P90X caused them to gain massive muscle. I have seen photos where folks lost a ton of weight, and gained some muscle, to where they have what I call good definition, but might not be what I call massively strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness