Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,522,716 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I might get a finisher sticker for the Ironman Couer d'Alene? They are out of stock on the Ironman site.

I work in IT and had to replace a PC for someone who had put the sticker on it and am trying to help them get a replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,743,563 times
It's funny how desperate people are to advertise. The better people are the less they are interested in advertising how good they are. But hey, a T shirt is a T shirt right?

I would try contacting the promoter I suppose. Better yet, do the race.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,522,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
It's funny how desperate people are to advertise. The better people are the less they are interested in advertising how good they are. But hey, a T shirt is a T shirt right?

I would try contacting the promoter I suppose. Better yet, do the race.
Ya, finishing the Ironman is nothing to be proud of. What are they thinking?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM

3,819 posts, read 9,419,060 times
It's been my experience that the less talented you are the more you advertise that you finished the event. In a past life I was friends with quite a few pro tri-athletes. None of them had Ironman stickers on their car, bike or anyplace else. If they got a t-shirt half the time they used it to wash their car or their bike.

It is an accomplishment, but once you are done with the event just move on with your life. No need to advertise it. Most of the stuff I get for finishing a race ends up at Goodwill.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, finishing the Ironman is nothing to be proud of. What are they thinking?
Oh hum...why is it that IT breeds so many sarcastic people? I guess it's because IT guys think the rest of the world is too stupid to take seriously. Geeks, they're so insecure.

Anywhoo, see grmi's comment. It's pretty spot on. Sure, it's an accomplishment but advertising it catagorizes someone as a low level wannabe - among those he wishes to impress most anyway.

It's easy to impress IT guys - just eat 4 slices of pizza and drink 3 Mountain Dews, wash it down with half a dozen donuts and boom, your in with the IT crew. Let me know if you want me to send you a couple of the free T shirts I got at races so you can look cool among your buddies. Although they probably won't fit you.

And hey, next time how's 'bout a thank you for suggesting to contact the promoter. That was a good suggestion.

A sticker you want to replace for someone...come on bro, it's probably your sticker and you just don't want to seem like an idjut.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,295,851 times
Here is a website that could do it for you, although it won't be the exact same sticker (but maybe better).

Home

This is an outfit that is geared towards people who want more than just the normal 26.2, 13.1 etc sticker for their car. Say you ran a sub-3 hr marathon and wish to note it, they will make a sticker that says something like sub 3 club, 26.2, with a little runner logo. But they will only sell you the sticker if they can verify the race result from the race site (maybe they would accept athlinks--IDK).

I read about them in Running Times magazine. They also cover tri-athalons, according to the site.

PS the site is called provensport.com, but for some reason comes up 'home' when I c&ped the link.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,537 times
I agree with some of the above, but it's how we relate to one another too. It's like having the rainbow sticker on your car to tell other gay people I'm one of you. Same with the Ironman stickers. It's how we connect, network, etc. and I see nothing wrong with it. Pro triathletes don't do it, because they do it for a living. It's kinda like advertising you're a computer nerd by having a sticker on your car, etc. Make better sense now?

Old 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAl View Post
I agree with some of the above, but it's how we relate to one another too. It's like having the rainbow sticker on your car to tell other gay people I'm one of you. Same with the Ironman stickers. It's how we connect, network, etc. and I see nothing wrong with it. Pro triathletes don't do it, because they do it for a living. It's kinda like advertising you're a computer nerd by having a sticker on your car, etc. Make better sense now?
No, it doesn’t make anymore sense...but I love a good thread dredge!

The stickers are meant to impress and make a statement about how awesome one is. Pro’s don’t do it because they see no need to, most are doing it for themselves so it would be weird. The people who advertise this kind of thing are doing it for show, not for themselves and that kind of vanity and attention seeking is irksome. The rainbow sticker is completely different. There are many straight people who have a rainbow sticker BTW – gay or straight, it’s a statement about support for equality, which is completely different than vanity.

They want people to think they’re cool so they’ll feel better about themselves. They don’t feel comfortable enough with themselves and therefore need approval from the outside. It’s kind of pathetic actually. A personal accomplishment is one thing, an accomplishment made with the goal of having others think one is cool is sad.

When I was competitive I didn’t walk around advertising it to people. I can’t even imagine doing that. My relatives sometimes told others about some of the things I did, it felt more embarrassing than anything else.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM

3,819 posts, read 9,419,060 times
I used to race bikes in the Cat II category, which in my opinion is as tough if not tougher than most Ironman competitions. Might be wrong, but don't think I have ever seen any bike racing stickers for finishing a 5 day stage race or racing against pros in a big local criterium on any cars around town. But it's not just Ironman stickers that annoy me, also hate the people who put 5K to marathon stickers on their cars. But again, I'm an odd duck sometimes. Most of my running race stuff ends up in the trash or the bottom of my closet someplace. Don't feel the need to display it anywhere.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 PM

26,167 posts, read 21,423,096 times
Why does this really bother anyone? I run 1/2 marathons fairly often and have never gotten a sticker and probably wouldn't but it doesn't bother me in the least what other people are doing. I've seen the stickers on other people's cars and struck up conversations that I may not have otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness