Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:59 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,219,483 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 years old. 6 foot 5 in height.

Was 256 pounds when I started working out at Christmas 2014.

I am down to 229 as of today.

I have been working out 5 days per week.

Have been doing 30 minutes on the eliptical. This past week, I have been getting bored with it and cut that part back to 15 minutes.

50 reps on the ab machine (150lbs)

50 reps on the weight pull down machine (100lbs)

Then 50 reps on the weight row machine (120lbs)

Have been drinking zero soda, only water and black coffee, maybe some green tea.

Eating tons of chicken and vegetables, try to stay away from carbs.

After every workout I do two scoops of Muscle Milk in water.

Taking 40MG Androgel testosterone as prescribed by my doctor.

Also am on a sleep apnea mask which makes me feel great.

I'm putting on a ton of arm muscle, and feel very strong.

Also, my abs feel tighter, but definitely have some belly fat.

Can you guys recommend anything else to build more lean muscle and lose some more fat?

I have been reading about creatine, but I'm not sure if I need that.

Since I started taking the muscle milk, my arms do not ache at all the next day after lifting.

I'm not lifting super heavy weights, but at this time I don't feel like I can do 50 reps of a lot more weight. Not strong enough.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Congrats, you rock!

No advice from me, I rather leave it to the experts here.

But I admire your determination!

Are you taking pictures of your body (Christmas 2014 and then every month)?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:43 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,181,212 times
Congrats on the weight loss and hard work.

To put on more muscle, you need to actually lift weights. Fifty reps of any lift is silly. Instead, try something like three or four sets of 8-12 reps. Split your workout routine up into multiple days as well. For example, have an "A" day where you do biceps and back (for example), a "B" day where you do chest, shoulders and triceps, and a "C" day where you do legs and abs. That's only one possibility, and there are lots of ways to skin that cat. Doing the same machines for the same number of reps won't keep doing much for you, however.

Also, I'm not sure why you're doing so much ab work. The reason you can't see your abs has nothing to do with the abs themselves...it has to do with fat.

To burn fat, forget the elliptical. The elliptical is for housewives. Instead, do a nice warm up and then do some high intensity stuff, such as 30 seconds of an all out effort followed by a one minute rest. Repeat ten times. You can do that running, on a bike....hell, maybe on an elliptical if it feels hard, but I'm not sure it will. Anything that is tough to go all out for more than 30-35 seconds will work. You need to feel like you're going to die by the sixth or seventh interval.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:52 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,010,074 times
First, OP, great work on the progress you've made so far. Sounds like you're off to a good start. I also don't blame you for cutting the elliptical time. The only cardio I actually enjoy is real trail running. With that said, I use the elliptical because I am still feeling the effects of a recent knee surgery and real impact running is something I can do only in small doses now. With that said, if you're looking for cardio work that isn't entirely boring, try the rowing machine. It's a better complete workout than an elliptical anyway, and definitely more fun to do.

I also second Wittgenstein's Ghost's thoughts on how to break your reps down into smaller sets. I was guessing when you said you did 50 reps you were doing 5 sets of 10? If not, I recommend you do. Also, don't be afraid to sacrifice reps for additional weight, so long as you are comfortable with your form. I also second his suggestion you combine certain muscle groups and form a rotation through your weekly workout.

Also, I highly recommend you look into the big compound lifts. These lifts work several muscle groups at once, so you are getting a lot out of them. The bench press, squat, and deadlift are the three core lifts of most strength programs, and are considered the gold standard lifts for strength training. Compliment these with a barbell row and you will notice a vast improvement in your chest, back, torso, and posterior chain. Just make sure you learn these lifts correctly. It may be a good idea to get some pointers from a trainer or even an experienced lifter you trust.

Lastly, keep up the good work. You will hit plateaus and you will suffer setbacks. Keep grinding through these. Don't be afraid to scale back if you need to. Slow your pace and recover if you have lingering fatigue, then hit it hard again when you feel you are ready.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
6'5"! How do you do it! Joking.

50 reps!? You nuts?

Lift heavier. Scrap the elliptical, garbage machine. Run, cycle, row, swim, etc. for cardio. Your base lift should be squats. Learn how to do them with good form. Strengthen your core and the rest of you will be stronger too. For best results with weights, do compound exercises...look it up. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Eat clean, recover well, and hydrate a lot and often. Use a foam roller to feel good. Do cardio after the weights and do HIIT 2x per week. Creatine will make you able to lift more...don't take creatine.

Best of luck

Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,466,174 times
you need to cut fat

to do so you need to eat less or burn more calories... preferably both

There's a lot of complicated diets out there, but really, the only things "jacked" guys really eat are: chicken breast, egg whites, whey protein, brown rice, and steamed vegetables. Keep track of how much you eat at myfitnesspal.

Your workout is kind of crazy. I'd just do "Starting Strength" or "Greyskull LP" and jog 45 minutes a day.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
6'5"! How do you do it! Joking.

50 reps!? You nuts?

Lift heavier. Scrap the elliptical, garbage machine. Run, cycle, row, swim, etc. for cardio. Your base lift should be squats. Learn how to do them with good form. Strengthen your core and the rest of you will be stronger too. For best results with weights, do compound exercises...look it up. Get plenty of sleep and rest. Eat clean, recover well, and hydrate a lot and often. Use a foam roller to feel good. Do cardio after the weights and do HIIT 2x per week. Creatine will make you able to lift more...don't take creatine.

Best of luck
WTH does the bolded mean? That isn't the only unclear thing in your post. What's wrong with elliptical? How many 6'5" people do you know? Very few can fit on mass market bikes. What is a foam roller this is a PG-13 forum.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
People... also the o.p. Ellipticals, bikes, running is cardio. Its for you heart. They can burn fat and lead to weight loss, but that is like saying that a Dustbuster can be used as a household vacum cleanse. You have to spend a LOT of time on an exercise bike to burn any significant amount of calories. For weight loss, attention to diet is more efficient than attempting to burn off the excess calories on a treadmill or exercise bike or elliptical machine or by swimming or running. You should do these activities however because they are good for your heart and overall fitness. At any age. Even 20 somethings should care about their hearts.

To build muscle is the province of free weights and machines. They too will burn fat and as you gain muscle mass you will have a higher basal metabolism... but attention to diet is more efficient than adding muscle, so that you burn more calories while watching "The Biggest Loser". Build muscle because it makes you look better, perform your chosen sports better, not to lose weight. As a very general rule, if you can lift a weight more than 15 times in a single set, it will not be an effective weight for stimulating muscle growth. Compound lifts are wonderful but the way most of us do them will not cause the secondary muscle growth that all of you talk about. A much better program will mix compound exercises along with isolation exercises. Starting Strength is fine for powerlifters but there is nothing wrong with starting right out as a bodybuilder doing a full body beginner routine with six or eight or even more exercises. Most lifters would be bored to tears doing only the three lifts of the Starting Strength program. Keep the sets and reps of the isolation exercises lower than the big heavy compound lifts.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
WTH does the bolded mean? That isn't the only unclear thing in your post. What's wrong with elliptical? How many 6'5" people do you know? Very few can fit on mass market bikes. What is a foam roller this is a PG-13 forum.
Regarding creatine: there are many things that'll make you stronger. Doesn't mean that they are beneficial to one's health. I stated a fact (that it'll make you stronger), and then stated an opinion (that he shouldn't take it). That's WTH I meant.

What exactly was unclear about my statement on elliptical machines? I thought it was clear as day. Do some research on what fitness experts say about elliptical machines and that'll maybe shed some clarity for you.

I don't know how many 6'5" people I know. I never counted them.

Not knowing what a foam roller is tells me something about your level of fitness knowledge. Look it up.

You're comin' at me and my sensible statements in a curiously strong and weird way. Considering some of your statements, I really don't think you should be giving advice regarding fitness. I think you should do more listening and learning.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,466,174 times
Elliptical is not that bad for burning fat, really. You just have to do it for an hour instead of 20 minutes. A lot of "jacked" fitness models use the elliptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness