Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

I'm 210 lbs. / 6'0" / approx. 20% body fat. I would like to get to 185 lbs. / 10% body fat.

Any feedback is appreciated.

[Edited by Mod]

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2013 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Nice try, but advertising is against TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:14 PM

843 posts, read 2,212,020 times
I'd recommend bodyweightculture for information on this front. Lots of people have very good results using just bodyweight exercises.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:17 PM

6,455 posts, read 7,761,660 times
Numero uno is a good diet. These types of things (insanity and whatever else) is fine, people don't need them at all though. If you learn a bit about fitness you can make very dramatic transformation with diet, running or cycling or other aerobic activity, and some bodyweight exercises. But things like insanity are good for most people because it keeps them on task - it's a canned thing if don't want to make your own plan and set your own goals. I'm not going to bad mouth it because many need that to stay on track and get/be organized and that's just fine.

But start by giving focus on your diet. Best of luck.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 16,366 times
Bodyweight exercises are great. Functional fitness programs are popular again (i.e. Crossfit, Insanity...), but they've always been around. These programs can be harder than doing "regular" exercises. Remember, with bodyweight exercises, you'll need to be in shape enough to lift your own body weight to exercise safely.

Example: Someone who is in shape may be able to do pull-ups or muscle-ups easily as they are traditional bodyweight exercises. Someone who isn't in shape should stick to a lat-pulldown machine, and only use the amount of weight they can safely lift about 8-12 times depending on the goal.

Good luck,

[Mod edit]

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,288,409 times
Insanity is more geared for losing weight and not so much building muscle. But if building muscle isn't your goal, than yes its can be a good program to cut some fat weight; given you adhere to a good diet. Its all about diet.

body weight exercise can be just as effective as well, as previously mention. there's other things you can do that dont require weights; running, swimming, biking, etc. GL

Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM

3,820 posts, read 9,438,571 times
Bodyweight exercises have been around since the dawn of time. No need to buy a book or a program to tell you how to do it. Last year when I was broke and in between jobs I did nothing but bodyweight stuff down at my local park. Some parks have those exercise stations that circle the park, so I would do some pullups, run to the next station do some step ups, run and do pushups, etc... It was a great workout and best of all it was free and never crowded.

Also did a workout called the "BFR workout" (Big Freakin' Rock) workout. Went down to a park with some rocks and small boulders and did squats, presses, rows and other exercises with rocks I found. Again, it was a free workout. Got some strange looks but did get into an interesting discussion with a local track coach who saw me when he was out walking his dog. Was looking for some new ideas to cross train his runners.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

280 posts, read 420,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nojuicemuscle View Post
I'm 210 lbs. / 6'0" / approx. 20% body fat. I would like to get to 185 lbs. / 10% body fat.
Any feedback is appreciated.
[Mod cut: advertising]

My advice? Walk. Google it, there are so many success stories out there. Map out how much a mile is with your car and then walk it, start small and then do more. If I didn't have a gym membership that's what I would do. The problem with workout videos is you might get bored. And as someone else mentioned, your diet is going to trump any routine you do anyway. Good luck, OP! I'm trying to lose 30 pounds myself.

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,968,163 times
Arrow Advertising Thread

This thread is obviously an advertisement.

[Mod cut: thank you for reporting!]

Last edited by elnina; 09-19-2013 at 08:53 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 PM

230 posts, read 342,094 times
You could get great weight loss results if you manage your caloric intake (burn more than you put in), sprint, and focus on compound body weights like pullups.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:30 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,755,761 times
I think the good old fashioned Charles Atlas program was like that--big muscles and minimal equipment or stuff you could make at home and I think you can still purchase the program. Remember the 90 lb weakling on the beach getting sand kicked in his face? I always wondered why I was supposed to be attracted to someone bully enough to kick sand in another man's face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness