Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,224,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Are you male or female? I assume male since tristan...

In that case, at 5'8'' 175 pounds I have to ask why is your goal to drop 30 lbs? 5'8'' 145 pounds seems very underweight
I am 5'6" and plan to get to 145. That is a normal weight for my height. I am 168 now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:14 PM

4,166 posts, read 4,403,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I'm 5"8, 175 lbs. My goal is 145 lbs. I'm hoping to do it in 30 weeks. What if I am only able to lose 15 pounds in that time? I eat clean, work out 6 days a week, etc. I'm afraid of failure. I can't starve myself so I might have to accept whatever results I get.
Weight loss while good (for a woman with your current 'specs') in and of itself is not the answer. I echo HomeIsWhere and my two cents.

One, if you are eating 'clean' as you say and work out 6 days a week I'd be curious as to the context of this and your current specs. Have you just started this regimen with the purpose of losing those 30 pounds you identified? Or have you been doing so and not having as good of results as you hoped?

Weight -while a nice measurable goal - is not always indicative of health, wellness and fitness. Are you targeting the weight loss with particular visual goals in mind? Waist, Hips, Bust etc...?

Strive more first to follow a regimen and see what naturally occurs to your body shape and weight. (note muscle weighs more than fat so weight and measures like Body Mass indexes are totally worthless when you get to within good parameters for your height, frame and subsequent shape based upon body type (natural shape: endo ecto meso or apple, banana, hourglass, pear etc...). Composition, displacement and how you personally feel is most important to truly being healthy. Not how others will perceive you. That is the mindset I would encourage you to adopt toward meeting your goal.

Keep in mind, when and how you consume calories is often as important as what you consume (i.e. grazing versus binging, eating largest meal at mid day versus evening hours. Exercise and regular activity is also optimized by when and how versus just 'what' you do. This is why talking with a well trained health care practitioner for health and nutrition is important.

That being said, barring any physical conditions you may have which need to be monitored, most people without an underlying condition, can easily do most of the beginning steps themselves if they are disciplined enough, it is a mindset - do it for yourself - be greedy for your healthfulness! And don't let others bring you down or divert you.

Other benefits will come with that, confidence, change in shape, self image, lighter mass for your frame to lug around, mobility, etc...

Best of luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 04:45 PM

280 posts, read 420,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Weight loss while good (for a woman with your current 'specs') in and of itself is not the answer. I echo HomeIsWhere and my two cents.

One, if you are eating 'clean' as you say and work out 6 days a week I'd be curious as to the context of this and your current specs. Have you just started this regimen with the purpose of losing those 30 pounds you identified? Or have you been doing so and not having as good of results as you hoped?

Weight -while a nice measurable goal - is not always indicative of health, wellness and fitness. Are you targeting the weight loss with particular visual goals in mind? Waist, Hips, Bust etc...?

Strive more first to follow a regimen and see what naturally occurs to your body shape and weight. (note muscle weighs more than fat so weight and measures like Body Mass indexes are totally worthless when you get to within good parameters for your height, frame and subsequent shape based upon body type (natural shape: endo ecto meso or apple, banana, hourglass, pear etc...). Composition, displacement and how you personally feel is most important to truly being healthy. Not how others will perceive you. That is the mindset I would encourage you to adopt toward meeting your goal.

Keep in mind, when and how you consume calories is often as important as what you consume (i.e. grazing versus binging, eating largest meal at mid day versus evening hours. Exercise and regular activity is also optimized by when and how versus just 'what' you do. This is why talking with a well trained health care practitioner for health and nutrition is important.

That being said, barring any physical conditions you may have which need to be monitored, most people without an underlying condition, can easily do most of the beginning steps themselves if they are disciplined enough, it is a mindset - do it for yourself - be greedy for your healthfulness! And don't let others bring you down or divert you.

Other benefits will come with that, confidence, change in shape, self image, lighter mass for your frame to lug around, mobility, etc...

Best of luck!
I have been at it for less than a month, I've tried in the past but never got past a few weeks.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,810,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Are you male or female? I assume male since tristan...

In that case, at 5'8'' 175 pounds I have to ask why is your goal to drop 30 lbs? 5'8'' 145 pounds seems very underweight
It's not. 5'8", 145 lbs is perfect.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,173,729 times
Quote:
I have been at it for less than a month, I've tried in the past but never got past a few weeks.
You might be demanding too much, too soon. It's better to pick a plan that fits well into your normal routine, and that you can stick with for the rest of your life. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it's something you can maintain for the rest of your life. Ups and downs are a normal part of any lifestyle change, you will have down days, but as long as you pick yourself back up there is no failure.

Too many people look at change as all or nothing, real change usually has many stops and starts, but if one never gives up it will happen. Often people think if they slip and eat something, have a smoke, or don't exercise one day, it's all over and they go right back to their old habits. Successful change means accepting that slips happen and being willing to get back on track as soon as possible.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:09 PM

515 posts, read 1,001,214 times
Quote:
I'm a woman. 145 pounds is not very underweight (I wish!). It's a very healthy weight.
That makes much more sense. It's doable as people have outlined you just have to put in some work. Food journal will be your best bet to get started.

IIFYM

is very good too

Old 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,087,733 times
depends on your age. if you're over 50, losing 5 pounds in 30 weeks would be a miracle.
Spoiler
i exaggerate
Spoiler
not by much...

Old 09-21-2013, 06:33 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,304,677 times
You can look at women with your height and weight

My Body Gallery

Old 09-21-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
depends on your age. if you're over 50, losing 5 pounds in 30 weeks would be a miracle.
Spoiler
i exaggerate
Spoiler
not by much...

I'm 41.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
You can look at women with your height and weight

My Body Gallery
That website is depressing! I see people who weigh more than me and look sooooo much better because they have a smaller waist size. From the top up I look completely healthy and toned. After my belly button it's a mess, and then "normal" legs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness