Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
That website is depressing! I see people who weigh more than me and look sooooo much better because they have a smaller waist size. From the top up I look completely healthy and toned. After my belly button it's a mess, and then "normal" legs.
Filter by body shape. It sounds like you may be an apple. You should focus on lowering your body fat percentage, and not as much on the scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:51 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
I'm 5"8, 175 lbs. My goal is 145 lbs. I'm hoping to do it in 30 weeks. What if I am only able to lose 15 pounds in that time? I eat clean, work out 6 days a week, etc. I'm afraid of failure. I can't starve myself so I might have to accept whatever results I get.
Losing weight is simple.

Just count your calories every day.

The easiest way to count calories is to join a free fitness website like:

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

They have online tools which will do the counting for you. You just enter your food and quantity each day.

I believe both websites have free software that work on smart phones, so you can use it while on the go.

Since your goal is 145lbs, limit your daily calories to approximately 10 x 145 = 1450 calories per day.

You will lose around 1 - 2lbs per week.

Here is a good article which explains this formula:

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui...ht-management/

Quote:
CALORIES FOR WEIGHT MAINTENANCE
To maintain your weight, you can use the following formula:
  • 10 calories per pound of desirable body weight if you are sedentary or very obese
  • 13 calories per pound of desirable body weight if your activity level is low, or if you are over age 55
  • 15 calories per pound of desirable body weight if you regularly do moderate activity
  • 18 calories per pound of desirable body weight if you regularly do strenuous activity
Essentially, you want to eat like a person who currently weighs 145lbs. So that is why the 10 x weight rules works for losing weight.

Spread out your meals so you eat 6 times per day instead of 3. So try to eat 1450 / 6 = 242 calories per meal.

The calories don't have be precise, but try to stay approximately within these numbers and you should see your weight drop each week, and you will reach your goal of 145lbs in around 15 - 30 weeks.

Below are some sample healthy meals in the 250 cal range:
  • 1 serving of whole grain cereal (ex: Raisin Bran) with 3/4 cup skim milk = cals 250
  • 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese (cals 70), 1 medium apple (cals 80), 1tbsp peanut butter (cal 100) = cals 250
  • Tuna Fish sandwich on whole wheat bread with veggies, etc. = cals 250
  • 6oz FF Greek Yogurt (cal 90), banana (cal 100), 3 oz Tofu (Cal 70) = cal 260
You can create your own meals with whatever healthy foods you like, just try to get to the total of each meal to be somewhere around 250 calories.

If you end up eating a little more than 250 in one meal, then just eat a little less in another meal. The goal is just to keep the total daily calories to approximately 1450.

Last edited by RD5050; 09-24-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Losing weight is simple...
Not bad. I think 10 x body weight is too aggressive, especially if this person is working out six times a week. The other thing is eating 6 times a day stuff is all crap; you can eat once a day if you want. Other than that good recommendations

Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Not bad. I think 10 x body weight is too aggressive, especially if this person is working out six times a week. The other thing is eating 6 times a day stuff is all crap; you can eat once a day if you want. Other than that good recommendations
The reason for eating 6 times a day versus 3 is to keep you from feeling hungry throughout the day.

You always know you have another meal coming in just 2 - 3 hours.

I used the calories = 10 x bodyweight myself while I was working out at a gym 5 - 6 days a week myself, and it worked for me a few years ago.

I lost over 30lbs in 6 months and got down to my goal weight. My waist went from 34" to 29" (I'm male).

I actually went below my goal weight, and had to raise my calories to keep from losing more weight.

My weight came off gradually, approximately 1 - 2lbs per week. I kept a journal the entire time.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:27 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,301 times
Well if 5-6 meals works for you that's good. Eating like that always leaves me starving. If you eat fewer meals, bigger meals, it can work too. Some people feel more satiated while eating fewer calories eating only 2-3 times; I eat a decent sized lunch and a huge dinner

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked (Major Update Nov 4th) | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Whatever works, though

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
Well if 5-6 meals works for you that's good. Eating like that always leaves me starving. If you eat fewer meals, bigger meals, it can work too. Some people feel more satiated while eating fewer calories eating only 2-3 times; I eat a decent sized lunch and a huge dinner

Top Ten Fasting Myths Debunked (Major Update Nov 4th) | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

Whatever works, though
Absolutely, people have to figure out for themselves what works. The big thing with any lifestyle change is it has to be a process of making lifetime changes. It often takes a lot of trial and error to figure out what works best for the individual, and there will be ups and downs. Change is hard, but if one commits to it for the long term, it can be done.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,812 times
Default Lose weight slowly

After trying various diet methods and trying to lose weight quickly, I found out that it's a wrong way to lose weight. I researched the topic and found that when we lose weight about 20% to 25% of weight lost is in lean muscle and the rest is the the actual fat loss. The problem with this is that as you lose lean muscle your metabolism rate slows down and you need less calories to maintain your weight.
Hence I now walk 3 times a week for 30 to 40 minutes and then eat healthy food consisting of vegetables and fruits with lean protein.
I have lost 20 pounds since January. recently because of my busy schedule I use a meal delivery service which let me know how much calories I am having.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I've lost 80 lbs. in 20 months (208 to 128)....without any outside help. It can be done. I exercised as I went...you do not need to lose muscle mass - I gained muscle. I cut out the foods that historically ended up making me gain my lost weight back - all processed, high fat, high sugar foods - out they went. When I figured that out and never went back to those foods, the weight steadily came off - no plateau, no "lose 4, gain 2" - I just lost without regaining. Good luck to you.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
depends on your age. if you're over 50, losing 5 pounds in 30 weeks would be a miracle.
Spoiler
i exaggerate
Spoiler
not by much...
Haha. I am 61 and lose 1 - 2 pounds a week. I workout a LOT.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Haha. I am 61 and lose 1 - 2 pounds a week. I workout a LOT.
I just turned 63. Working out helps but losing weight is mosly predicated on diet not exercise. Anyone any age can effectively lose weight (and more impotantly keep it off) if they are willing to eliminate the junk......not cut back...eliminate. When your diet mainly consists of whole fresh foods, you will have found the best (and easiest) weight loss/maintenance plan there is.

Last edited by Cattknap; 10-19-2013 at 03:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness