Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

And since the average fitness enthusiast is right up there with professional, NBA/NFL-level athletes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:00 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
You don't have to be a professional athlete to be in superb physical condition. Half the members of my bicycle club could probably ride most professional football or baseball players into the ground; they'd collapse around the 40-mile mark while we're just getting warmed up. None of us would ever bother stepping onto a football or baseball field with them, because they'd make us look silly, but it wouldn't be because we're not in excellent condition - it would be because we're not in the right kind of condition.

Doesn't mean we're not still in excellent shape, though, and if you walk into any medium to large size gym in the world, you'll find a lot of other people in the same kind of condition. If we were stupid enough to smoke, we wouldn't be in as good condition as we're in, but we'd still be better positioned to get away with it than most people who aren't as serious about their cardio.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
I fail to see the big deal - When I was the Marines, PT (running!) was at least three times a week, sometimes the alcohol fumes coming off the guys in my platoon from the previous nights drinking were enough to make my eyes water. And after the run, it was pretty common to break out the smokes....

Old 10-12-2013, 10:12 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Guess you've never spent much time with members of our military. They drink/smoke cigs, and work-out all the time.

And just since your coming ATL soon, one of the best beer/cig combo I've ever had is after I ran the Peachtree Road Race
When I was in the Army, I did not know what a 'marathon' was. But a routine part of our training was to complete a 25 [nautical] mile road march in 4-6 hours...with full packs, gear and weapons. Most of us were smokers and drinkers. (A nautical mile equals 1.15 statute miles, 25 NM=28.75 statute miles...why the Army would use *nautical* miles as a measurement is something I *still* haven't figured out.)

After the Army, the first time I saw people making a big deal about a marathon I laughed. My GF asked "What's so funny?" I had to explain that I found it amusing that these people thought they were 'doing' something 'special', but without 80+lbs of guns and gear, something that I thought of as 'routine' and nothing special at all.

One can smoke, drink and party and still maintain a strong body.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,154 times
Liu X multiple olympic champion reportedly drinks and smokes cigs on the regular.

And.. what Zymer said above.. that happens often.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
(A nautical mile equals 1.15 statute miles, 25 NM=28.75 statute miles...why the Army would use *nautical* miles as a measurement is something I *still* haven't figured out.)
It is equal to one minute latitude/longitude. If you know charts, you will know why this is important.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When I was in the Army, I did not know what a 'marathon' was. But a routine part of our training was to complete a 25 [nautical] mile road march in 4-6 hours...with full packs, gear and weapons. Most of us were smokers and drinkers. (A nautical mile equals 1.15 statute miles, 25 NM=28.75 statute miles...why the Army would use *nautical* miles as a measurement is something I *still* haven't figured out.)

After the Army, the first time I saw people making a big deal about a marathon I laughed. My GF asked "What's so funny?" I had to explain that I found it amusing that these people thought they were 'doing' something 'special', but without 80+lbs of guns and gear, something that I thought of as 'routine' and nothing special at all.

One can smoke, drink and party and still maintain a strong body.

28.75 miles in 4-6 hours with 80+lbs of guns and gear? I'll call your bluff on this. Maybe your memory isn't so good. You may have walked 28.75 miles with 80+lbs of guns and gear but you didn't do in anywhere close to 4 hours. In fact, you did not come close to breaking 5 hours, which would be a 10:26 mile pace.

An BTW, I have some experience in the Army. I remember going through the Army Airborne course at Ft. Benning. There would be guys puking along side the road during a 4 mile slow run in formation. I think they may now be running at up to a 9:00 pace.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:15 PM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
Right on! Right on!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not justifying, just not joining in on mocking him. Yes, he does some unhealthy things, but because he does, that doesn't mean he should just go all the way and sit on the couch eating bon-bons and never moving. People and their behaviors are seldom all good or all bad.
I agree. Many people quit smoking, or drinking, but are overweight, never exercise, and are in horrible health. Should they be mocked for quitting smoking since their health is already impaired from a poor diet? I would praise them for doing something good for their health. I really don't see the point in making fun of this guy for wearing a running outfit when he is RUNNING. What his other health habits are like, is his business.

I used to smoke, and drank to excess on occasion, and was in incredible shape, I worked out 5-6 days a week. I wore exercise clothes while I worked out. So f'ing what? Eventually I quit smoking, and most drinking, exercise helped a lot with that. Having a bad habit in one area doesn't mean one has to give up all healthy activities, that's just dumb. There were many instances where it was shown that I had much more stamina, and ability to sustain prolonged periods of movement w/o getting short of breath than many people who didn't smoke, but never exercised.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
28.75 miles in 4-6 hours with 80+lbs of guns and gear? I'll call your bluff on this. Maybe your memory isn't so good. You may have walked 28.75 miles with 80+lbs of guns and gear but you didn't do in anywhere close to 4 hours. In fact, you did not come close to breaking 5 hours, which would be a 10:26 mile pace.

An BTW, I have some experience in the Army. I remember going through the Army Airborne course at Ft. Benning. There would be guys puking along side the road during a 4 mile slow run in formation. I think they may now be running at up to a 9:00 pace.
Yep Ex 11B here, did those road marches too, Running a marathon is way harder. No way under 5 hours. I can´t imagine the Army using nautical miles the maps are in normal miles. I was fitter after the military and a marathon kicked my ass.

Back on topic I do remember sneaking off and smoking a joint on a Expert Infantry Badge qualification march at Ft. Hood once. At first we did not care about qualifying but got a bit high got motivated and ended up running the last bit and just made the time. The Army was different before those silly **** tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness