Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:16 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I ran 8.7 miles today and did 45 minutes of squats, lunges, plank work, supermans, clam crunches, surrenders and turkish get ups.

What did YOU do today, Stockyman?

I have five more 5-mile runs and 3 more 45-minute strength sessions scheduled for the rest of the week.

If you don't work out as much as me, I want to know what your excuse is.

First of all, great that you workout and take care of yourself. I see that you are physically fit and honestly, this is not a competition to see who is the fittest.

As for myself, I workout 5-6 days at the gym. I always do one bodypart and cardio each workout. My endurance and strength is way above average for my age group. I've been working out for over 25 years consistently and probably will till I die. It's great for you and helps with aging.

Most of Maria Kang's success is from her diet anyways. Bodies are made in the kitchen. A person can workout for hours but if you eat too much the results will never show.

Working out is easy. Eating clean and healthy on a regular basis is the hard part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:21 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
Lol. Magnificent! It's funny how many of the "haters" posting here are fairly active.
Which makes it worse because if you are active in the first place you should know the benefits of exercise and how the nation is becoming fatter everyday. Active people should be supporting her, not demonizing her.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Which makes it worse because if you are active in the first place you should know the benefits of exercise and how the nation is becoming fatter everyday. Active people should be supporting her, not demonizing her.
I support a healthy lifestyle, what I see from her is not healthy. She can live her life how she wants to, but I'm not going to emulate her and encourage others to do the same

Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,993 times
I'm just flabbergasted. What is it I need an excuse for? Not having 3 kids? Not wearing a sports bra? Not kneeling on wooden floorboards? Not smiling for the camera?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
I'm just flabbergasted. What is it I need an excuse for? Not having 3 kids? Not wearing a sports bra? Not kneeling on wooden floorboards? Not smiling for the camera?
She's a personal trainer, and posed for an ad that she put on her personal trainer FB page. If you are not looking for a personal trainer, you wouldn't have been on her page and are not who she was talking to. Again, she was never trying to address all American women.

Doesn't Nike's "Just Do It" basically mean "stop making excuses"? Why is this so much more offensive to people?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
\

Most of Maria Kang's success is from her diet anyways. Bodies are made in the kitchen. A person can workout for hours but if you eat too much the results will never show.

Working out is easy. Eating clean and healthy on a regular basis is the hard part.
Have to agree.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's a personal trainer, and posed for an ad that she put on her personal trainer FB page. If you are not looking for a personal trainer, you wouldn't have been on her page and are not who she was talking to. Again, she was never trying to address all American women.

Doesn't Nike's "Just Do It" basically mean "stop making excuses"? Why is this so much more offensive to people?

I thought she claimed she wasn't a personal trainer?

And does anybody know if her husband works? I read he had a TBI, but I was curious as to what his recovery was like considering he's able to do volunteer work, so I'm assuming he's a basically a SAHD.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
The negative reaction to her 'WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?' poster isn't about being "offended", or "taking things personally", or being "mad", or "hating", or being "jealous". Are you people in the 7th grade?

1. Maria Kang started a dialog, whether she intended to, or not. And, I'm guessing this is probably above her head (and above your head as well, if you're posting rah rah nonsense about jealousbitches and dumb fatties needing to suck it up and get a life), but that image with her 3 young children, with their ages in months, and with that caption 'WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?' automatically makes this specifically and distinctly a FEMINIST issue, and it is ripe for a critical reading and critique.

If you don't have the mental capacity or insight to consider the subtext, and are intellectually limited to viewing this topic from a "DON'T BE MAD, FAT JEALOUS HATERZZZ!" perspective, then I know you tuned out at 'FEMINIST', and you are grumble-grunting right now about "Excuses Excuses Excuses!". That's OK. God bless, you sweet, sweet simpletons.

2. Any time ANY random person tries to push themselves off on the general public as some kind of expert or guru, people are going to throw shade. People have had similar "WHO THE F#&! ARE YOU?" reactions to Oprah Winfrey and Gwyneth Paltrow when they've gotten insufferable and preachy about things they are not qualified to preach about. Even to Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil...and those dudes, even if you think they are shills and quacks, are actual doctors.

Why should Kang be immune to critique? If you PUBLICLY post anything on the internet, be it a selfie, Facebook update, tweet, Vine, whatever...you open yourself up to criticism.

And she DID, not only publicly post that poster on her deliberately public Facebook page, it was with the intent to reach as many people as possible in order to publicize her "fitness" website, to get as many followers and page views as possible. Her website, by the way, isn't really a fitness website, but more a glorified LiveJournal where her self-obsessed, navel-gazing diary entries include tags like 'LOVE', 'FRIENDSHIP', 'FAITH', 'HAPPINESS', 'TAKING CHANCES' and 'MARRIAGE'.

'FITNESS' is only one tag and so is 'NO EXCUSE PROGRAM'. And 'NO EXCUSE PROGRAM' is NOT any kind of formal or accredited program. It's a bunch of personal journal entries where she humblebrags and proselytizes to her readers/followers, about how she got in shape.

Maria Kang is not a health & fitness expert. She has a BA in International Relations/Asian History, with a minor in Political Science. She worked as a personal trainer at one time (over a decade ago) during her junior year in college, and also won a bunch of beauty pageants, fitness competition titles and magazine covers, during which time she developed an EATING DISORDER for three years.

And it's clear from the obsessive cataloging in her blog of her weight, that she still has issues.

This is her idea of a bad picture where she doesn't think she looks hot or fit or thin enough:

It is so troubling to her that she writes a long, rambling post about it, wherein she, um, makes EXCUSES about "the daily demands of work, children, friendship and marriage".

3. As such, she has no place telling post partum women when, how and how fast to get back in shape, asking the confrontational question of "WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?".

How arrogant to declare yourself as 'inspiration' or FITSPIRATION to post partum women. And how dishonest, when that fitspo is a glamorized, professionally photographed, professionally lighted, professionally styled and Photoshopped image of yourself where you prepared for the photo by cutting carbs and doing extra cardio.

How dishonest to throw a bunch of platitudes out there about only needing 30 minutes a day and not needing to cut carbs to look like you (when that image of you isn't even genuine), when you blog elsewhere that you actually work out at least twice a day and for more like 60 minutes, and sometimes even taking diet pills.

How hypocritical to blog about not comparing yourself to anyone else or to some impossible image of perfection in your head ("Comparison is the thief of joy"), and being morally opposed to ever objectifying yourself, but then challenging women to compare themselves to a glamorized version of yourself, demanding "WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?".

3. 'FITSPO' and 'FITSPIRATION' is a slippery slope that often slides into THINSPIRATION which is anorexia/bulimia territory. It is about glamorizing and fetishizing a rigid idealized image, as opposed to HEALTH.

It's a fine line, and a dangerous line.

The message in most FITSPO is not health, but a contrived aesthetic.

4. There's a big difference between Kang's brand of 'NO EXCUSES' and the others that came before it. There's a big difference between an amputee overcoming huge challenges to transform himself into a model of fitness, and Maria Kang transforming her bikini body into...a sexier bikini body.

This is her idea of "fat". This is the overwhelming obesity calamity she had to "overcome":

No doubt she worked to get her "NO EXCUSES" body, but other people would have to work twice as hard as her...literally eat half as much and workout twice as hard...just to get to her "fat" bikini body. It's pretty pompous to demand "WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE?" when you are clearly coming from an advantage.

It's like when some yuppie who was born and raised in white picket fence suburbia proclaims to someone that was born and raised in the ghetto or a trailer park in meth country, West Virginia, "I worked hard in school and went to college and found a job! I didn't make excuses! All you have to do is work hard if you don't want to be poor anymore!"

Same brand of shortsightedness and pompousness.
This is an awesome post and needs to be looked at again by the people who are protecting this womans hypocritical and shallow message.

I am a chubby chaser because I prefer all of her before pictures to the OP.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
It's really not clear is it?

Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Aaw. God bless.

I don't personally know Barack Obama, Chris Christie or Sarah Palin either but I can still form an opinion on them based on their public statements and stances.

SSDP
(Same Schidt, Different Post)

White Knight jumps in to defend the damsel in internet distress.

I ran 8.7 miles today and did 45 minutes of squats, lunges, plank work, supermans, clam crunches, surrenders and turkish get ups.

What did YOU do today, Stockyman?

I have five more 5-mile runs and 3 more 45-minute strength sessions scheduled for the rest of the week.

If you don't work out as much as me, I want to know what your excuse is.

You know what else? It's really great that Maria Kang gave birth to 3 kids, but...meh. Angelina Jolie gave birth to 3 kids AND adopted THREE MORE! And she is able to provide them with a mansion to grow up in, and trust funds, AND she has a Lara Croft body, AND she does global humanitarian work for the United Nations on top of her full time job and being a stay at home mom. WHAT'S MARIA KANG'S EXCUSE?

SEE HOW THAT WORKS?
I love your awesome posts! Tried to rep you again but apparently I must 'spread some reputation around'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness