Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times

Advertisements

Don't be jealous or petty of people who are in better shape than you. They made sacrifices to look they way do, chose a different lifestyle than you.

She never personally called anyone out and mocked people. Her message was not mean-spirited at all. It was supposed to be motivational.

The only apology she owes are to her kids when they grow up and have to listen to all the 'MILF' comments they will likely get if they ever find the picture online. In that regard I think she crossed the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Yeah ... she clearly was disturbed by the outrage of anonymous internet people ....... so much so she offered an apology that pretty much reinforced her belief .... definitely seems distraught by all the big bad internet meanies..................
Oh boo hoo. Maria is disturbed by this backlash, yet does not understand why folks may react negatively to her poster? She should use this backlash as inspiration to better educate herself that in the era of hyper/social media, where a picture/messages are blown out of proportion regularly, that she needs to better market her message better, and stop issuing half a^&* apologies.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Kang is looking to make "Ka-ching" and for all the boys to go "Sha-wiiiiing!"

Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
She shouldn't be apologizing at all. She has no reason to. She's fit and is proud of it, and rightly so. Kudos to her.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 PM

705 posts, read 1,259,543 times
Shame might be what it takes to get people to change the way they live for the better. If you're happy with the way you look, whether you're physically fit or have some extra baggage, who cares, as long as you're happy when you look in the mirror!!

I've had kids and I'm the fittest I've ever been, and one of my biggest pet peeves is when overweight women make snide comments about how "skinny" I am or how I'm so lucky to be geneticly skinny. Umm no,I would be at a buffet everyday if calories and health didn't matter to me, but it does, hence sacrifices need to be made. And I'm happy. It's called balance, and that balance is different for everyone.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Oh boo hoo. Maria is disturbed by this backlash, yet does not understand why folks may react negatively to her poster? She should use this backlash as inspiration to better educate herself that in the era of hyper/social media, where a picture/messages are blown out of proportion regularly, that she needs to better market her message better, and stop issuing half a^&* apologies.
In an related and yet completely unsurprising note you figured out my post as well as you did her picture.........

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Kang is a professional trainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
She's marketing herself. We'll see if this works for her. I think if the photo didn't include her small children, with that tag line, it wouldn't have been noticed.

If she wanted to get kudos for quickly getting back in shape after 3 kids, she could have done without the "What's you excuse?" tagline for this particular photo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I think it's just her way of saying "Hey, look at me!!!"

She clearly takes care of herself. Kudos to her. It's very hard to do and not everyone puts a premium on looking good, but that is their business and their business alone. It's not up to her to assume that someone who isn't as "fit" as her is using excuses to not be "fit". Perhaps they don't care?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
People like that tend to be somewhat full of themselves as if what they have accomplished qualifies them to look down on others as unhealthy or not as wise as they. I ignore them. Not because physical fitness is bad, but because conceit is.
Quote:
The message wasn't be your best. Do your best. Let's get healthy.

It was a picture of a fitness model titled "What's your excuse?" I'm glad that you find this inspirational, but many don't.

That's why the "No Excuses" mentality is not working.
Quote:
amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Tiger mom needs to come off her high mule, lose the hair dye and get a cheeseburger. And while she's at it, she can read this.

The Inklings of Life: My Excuses for Not Looking Like Maria Kang After Having Children
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
See, the problem with this one too is that it again, targets a certain demographic of mother. If you don't have the curves/hip/ass (which many women naturally do not), then what?

You can love and enjoy the moments of your babies while working out - I train during the baby's nap while the 3.5 year old plays with 'safe' tools in the garage gym with me. Nobody's missing out.

I don't agree with Ms Kang's statement (and I have a lengthy post on the first page explaining why), but overall my point is that whether you want to dedicate a lot of time to fitness or NOT do it, it's FINE. I have friends who would rather jump off a cliff than lift weights - they do other hobbies like baking, volleyball, travel, whatever.

There are no excuses Ms Kang, but there are many reasons why women choose not to work out and diet down to the level that we do. And that's fine, so get some perspective and realize that not every mother in this world should prioritize fitness the way you do. There's nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Kang is looking to make "Ka-ching" and for all the boys to go "Sha-wiiiiing!"
ALL of the above.

No harm, no foul.

No offense taken.

Time for bed, good-night John Boy!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,683,923 times
Excellent responses, Finger Laker.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Elk Grove 'hot mom' on viral photo: 'I didn't call you fat'

Year after photo's release, Maria Kang responds with makeshift apology
UPDATED 11:24 PM PDT Oct 15, 2013

An Elk Grove mother of three garnered national attention when a controversial photo she posted went viral. Now, her public response to the backlash has caused the image to resurface on social media. It has been one year since the photo was snapped. But the image's resurgence has become something else entirely. After hearing and reading thousands of responses, 32-year-old Kang issued what she called her "first and final apology" on her Facebook page.

Read more: Elk Grove 'hot mom' on viral photo: 'I didn't call you fat' | News - KCRA Home

-------------------------------

She definitely looks good and works hard at it. I think she didn't get enough attention when she posted the photo last year so she responds a year later to those that "criticized" her with an apology. LOL.

What do you think?

I think the whole thing is a publicity stunt so she can get customers for whatever business it is that she's running

Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
I love people who take this personally and list a bunch of reasons why they don't look like her ranging from genetics to alien abductions. If you want to look like her, you have to make it a priority like she did. If you're fine how you look then it doesn't matter. If you're offended by the photo, then there's some issue you have to address with yourself

If you're fine with how you look but then get mad that a picture like that calls you out, then you're obviously not fine with how you look and are still making excuses. Full time working parents with kids can look good, enjoy their kid's lives and have a social life if they make fitness a priority. If you're saying, "I could look that good but xyz" then you're simply making excuses.

It's fine if you don't want to dedicate the time to fitness and diet that she has. But don't turn around and say, "Well I could look that good too if I didn't enjoy bbq and sangria in the summer, pumpkin pie and eggnog in the winter and I SPEND TIME WITH MY KIDS" like that inkling article said.
it is not that simple. The backlash comes because a chubby or full figured or just an un chiseled person doesnt get to be open with their body without ridicule or disdain. You wont ever see full figured models as just models they have to be qualified as full figured because they are outside the accepted norm. There is a war on fat in the media and any one outside of a gangly supermodel or professional fitness model is subject to criticism. If you so much as say you disagree then people assume you must be fat lazy mentally incompetant or poor. Just saying you are happy being the size you are outside of these accepted norms invites this sort of critique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness