Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

I live in a 55+ community. We have many, many, people in our gyms that look great for their age. I am sure that some are stuck on themselves. Good for them. I never thought taking pride in ones appearance should disappear with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:58 AM

230 posts, read 343,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Typical male response ...ok ladies your turn . Just tired of seeing guys who are in their 50s and still have a mind set of the 20 yr old , clear it up for ya does it ? jealous oh no hardly I dont want to look like a man .
Maybe he was an athlete and has developed the kind of muscle memory that allows him to workout regularly and maintain his physique well into his 50s. Maybe he grew up in the country and is just a little more hardy than your average sit down all day middle aged guy that is counting down the days until retirement. Maybe he has great genetics or the right diet?

No, couldn't be any of those things. He must be immature, self centered, and neglects to spend time with his family. He should be hit the bocce ball courts before people start looking at him funny.

Instead of hating, try using it as motivation because you sound like the one that is going to be ready for the old folks home in the near future with that attitude.

Last edited by Juice Malone; 10-24-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,729,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Scr*w aging gracefully. Every year I get older I want to be in better shape than the year before. Planning on my first half marathon the month I'm turning 43.
Oh, I thought that staying fit and strong as one ages WAS aging gracefully! LOL! What is "graceful" about a cranky disposition brought on by chronic (mostly avoidable) aches and pains, a hunchback, a potbelly or muffin top and wobbly legs and fatigue..sagging physique? Nothing! Consistent exercise and training with a decent diet, proper rest, supplementation and hydration can put the brakes on most of the maladies of middle to old age. I'm experiencing the benefits first hand, I'm hooked on this brand of feel-good, and I have no intention of stopping.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:33 PM

361 posts, read 725,188 times
Ok people, I think the OP got it. This thread is just wrong. Lol

Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Live and let live

50 is the new 30.

Frankly, I don't think 53 is old, or that being 53 requires that a person to act like he's "old". This man obviously takes care of himself, appears to have a healthy zest for life, and a high level of self-esteem. Kudos to him. Nothing wrong with enjoying life while you can, looking the best that you can, or liking yourself.

The question for you is, why does this bother you? Were you offended that this attractive man wasn't interested in you? Offended that he wasn't interested in your friend? You're an attractive woman who takes care of herself, works out, why would you feel offended because he likes himself?

Also, "aging gracefully" means different things to different people. I think a man who takes care of his body and does what he can to look the best that he can, is doing that. I think a woman who gets offended by a man who is content in this manner, is closer to NOT aging gracefully than she is to doing so.

Live and let live. This man wasn't interested in your or your friend, so wish him the best, and move on. There are many other men out there who would fit your sensibilities. Staying positive is a key ingredient in what I consider "aging gracefully."

Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
think OP left a long time ago- only one person agreed- so she got no bandwagon, BUT this is a good post for those who have the same thinking. Looking down or criticizing on others who do not think likewise,, leave people alone! Every body is made different and have to find their own way.
With that said, I just had the biggest laugh-
go see OP's post on "Women over the age of 45 ... " LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
There is a guy who is 53 and he goes to our gym and he has abs like a 20 yr old and im serious about that . He is a reasonably nice looking fellow but I talked to him once and he is definately stuck on himself ....I m a pretty good judge of charecter and I think any man who is 53 and is working out twice a day every day has a deep seeded fear of looking 53 , which he does not and I might be wrong but it does look like he has had some plastic done ...what do the rest of you think ? Im in my 50s and have been told I sure dont look it and have never had any work done . IM in the gym once a day 7 days a week just because im on a program to tone up so I can buy a new holiday dress since the holidays are coming up and that means holiday and work parties ...I just think it is sad that some people have never heard the term "age gracefully ". Accept the fact that you are not 20 something anymore and act accordingly . Usually when im toning im in the gym maybe 2-3 times a week but when I want to "power tone " for lack of a better word then im there alot .
Sounds like you are doing the same thing as him: trying to look good. He is doing things his way and you have your way. I'm 30 and if I met a 50 year old dude with abs like a 20 year old, I'd think he was pretty hot. LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I am about to do the 6 days a week thing because I cannot stand flab. After two years if that does not bring the wanted results; I may get some work done myself. No plastic, just a tuck here and there. We shine up our cars; and redecorate our homes, why not take care of ourselves?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
There is a guy who is 53 and he goes to our gym and he has abs like a 20 yr old and im serious about that . He is a reasonably nice looking fellow but I talked to him once and he is definately stuck on himself ....I m a pretty good judge of charecter and I think any man who is 53 and is working out twice a day every day has a deep seeded fear of looking 53 , which he does not and I might be wrong but it does look like he has had some plastic done ...what do the rest of you think ? Im in my 50s and have been told I sure dont look it and have never had any work done . IM in the gym once a day 7 days a week just because im on a program to tone up so I can buy a new holiday dress since the holidays are coming up and that means holiday and work parties ...I just think it is sad that some people have never heard the term "age gracefully ". Accept the fact that you are not 20 something anymore and act accordingly . Usually when im toning im in the gym maybe 2-3 times a week but when I want to "power tone " for lack of a better word then im there alot .
How the heck would anyone here know?

Good grief. I am in the gym at lunch 5 days a week, and after work 3 nights a week.
Age gracefully? Does that mean that we are not supposed to stay fit? Sheesh.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:28 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Typical male response ...ok ladies your turn . Just tired of seeing guys who are in their 50s and still have a mind set of the 20 yr old , clear it up for ya does it ? jealous oh no hardly I dont want to look like a man .
Live and let live. If he isn't bothering you, why do you have a problem with him? You seem to be the one with the problem here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness