Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 01:30 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
60 and still running marathons. Ran 67 miles overall last week, going to top that this week. No joint issues. Being obese and sedentary is much harder on joints than running.

That is some heavy duty training. The highest I ever hit was 54 miles in one week. How much do you weigh? I think there is a direct correlation between weight and knee problems regardless of whether you run or not. I've only met one skinny distance runner who developed knee problems. I've know dozens of overweight people who have had both knees replaced. My younger brother is a perect example. He is three years younger and has weighed as much as 270 lbs. He has never run a mile in his entire life. He had to have both knees replaced when he was 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 07:01 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
I have also heard that the same distance burns the same calories, in theory. Not sure it is true. Jogging might work on your cardiovascular fitness more, but it will also wear harder on your joints. Which one is better is really probably the one you enjoy more and will continue to do regularly for a lifetime.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:54 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I have also heard that the same distance burns the same calories, in theory.
No.
Running = 0.63 KCal x miles x weight in lbs
Walking = 0.35 KCal x miles x weight in lbs

Running burns about double the Calories per distance per pound. They are physiologically different so their burn rates are quite different.

Quote:
Jogging might work on your cardiovascular fitness more, but it will also wear harder on your joints.
Yes and no. It's much better for your CV fitness but no it's not harder on your joints.
There are studies in this thread that prove that.

Quote:
Which one is better is really probably the one you enjoy more and will continue to do regularly for a lifetime.
Running is better, hands down. BUT walking would see more results if you quit running in a week but keep walking forever.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tiger-w...142710658.html

Old 05-03-2020, 04:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
OTOH, many people have low back pain from playing golf.
I know many people who participate in bowling leagues during the winter and golf leagues during the summer.
Most of them have back trouble from time to time.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 PM

8,667 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Walking 60 minutes vs Jogging 30 minutes
Jogging. I used to play quite a bit of handball (and cycle as well); but I've had a few friends over the years who are avid runners, and I have found myself back into it full-throttle the past two to three years.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Got to huff and puff eventually. An hour of regular walking can run the risk of over use injuries. I'd go with variety several times a week. Also if one does the same exact thing daily the body will adapt and become so efficient at doing a task it won't require the effort or calories to do it.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:36 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
That is some heavy duty training. The highest I ever hit was 54 miles in one week. How much do you weigh? I think there is a direct correlation between weight and knee problems regardless of whether you run or not. I've only met one skinny distance runner who developed knee problems. I've know dozens of overweight people who have had both knees replaced. My younger brother is a perect example. He is three years younger and has weighed as much as 270 lbs. He has never run a mile in his entire life. He had to have both knees replaced when he was 60.
I would love to be able to hit that kind of mileage in a week. I did a 10 mile run Thurs (do not do these often) and while it did not bother my knees, it basically trashed me out all over. When I train for halfs, I do one long run and one moderate run a week. A third run is usually too much (because I also work out). You guys are awesome! Keep it up!

Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
I just do high intensity cardio. I have zero interest in wasting my time with long cardio sessions and most of the research agrees. People quit working out or skip days because they make it too unrealistic. Even 30 minutes is a total waste of time to me, especially when I’m doing 6 hours of weight training a week anyway that has massive cardiovascular benefits. They’ve gotta stop advocating this dichotomy between the two - proper weight training IS cardio intensive. I could run a 6 minute mile doing nothing more than weights, I hadn’t even done any cardio since middle school at the time. Now I do 15 minutes of intense (160-165 heart rate) cardio and then call it a day. My resting heart rate is 54 and I’m 37 years old. I’m not in my best shape yet either after being off in March; I’ve been able to get my resting heart rate to 47-50 and I’ve never messed with long cardio seriously.

If you want to burn calories, focus on the afterburn and not the “in session” burn alone. If you putz around walking or a light jog, the calorie burn will be pathetic even in a long duration. If you do intense cardio or internal training, you elevate your metabolism for 24 hours and the burn is going to be far above just the result of the actual time spent. That’s how I’ve been able to eat like a teenager into my late 30s - I lift HEAVY weight and my body burns whatever I throw into it as long as I’m active each week. Focus on quality not on quantity.

I had a period of time where I did 45 minutes of elliptical per day full disclosure, about 6 months, and it didn’t do anything for me. I just got way hungrier and ate the calories I burned. I could never get my heart rate too high because I had to save energy for this marathon session. I ditched cardio entirely and stopped doing it, I just lifted heavy weight, and suddenly I went from all this cardio, salads, vegetable snacks, and protein shakes to being able to eat absolutely anything I wanted again like I was back in high school without gaining a pound. So I’m fairly anti-cardio as I think it’s low reward for the time involved. Heck I had a week where I ate almost an entire birthday cake, 4 large meals out for dinner, a few lunches out, never paying any attention to calories... I lost a pound that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness