Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:27 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,011,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by td333 View Post
I usually do planks with 115 on my back for 30 or 45 seconds (depends on sets)
Wow, nice td.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 AM

752 posts, read 1,160,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemidancer View Post
Thanks 11thHour! I have not been able to do leg lifts, sit-ups or even crunches for several years because they cause severe back pain. I tried a 'starter' plank yesterday (knees on the floor) but I'm not quite ready for it - need to heal another couple of weeks. But even a few seconds of it made me realize how much it will improve my core strength, and not at the expense of my lower back. I think once I get into it, I'll be planking for the rest of my life.
I have perfectly good back thanks to, rather, decades of pull ups and rows (not barbell then dumbbell rows) again thanks to internet and informations about sit ups and crunches influence at lower back I stay away from them. This is very good thread.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:15 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Planks are great, I incorporate them into my gym routine a couple times a week.

The thing is, you need to be progressing in them for them to actually pay off, and by progressing I don't necessarily mean length of time. In my opinion, if you can do a 2-minute plank, you're ready to start adding weight on your back....behold weighted planks! I basically have a goal of 45-50 seconds for my planks. So I put a plate and a few 10's on my back and try to achieve that, I'm up to 75 lbs (45 + 3 10's) for about 50 seconds. It's intense.

So like I said, if you can do around 2 minutes, start adding weight slowly (start with a 10lb plate) and have a target time for which to reach. Once you reach it, add more weight and try to reach it again over the next few sessions/weeks.

Well I learned something again from this forum. I'm going to try that. I felt like planks were a waste of time, but maybe weighted planks would work. I have done weighted bridges with a plate on my belly, so I don't know why I didn't think of trying weighted planks.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:47 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,353,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well I learned something again from this forum. I'm going to try that. I felt like planks were a waste of time, but maybe weighted planks would work. I have done weighted bridges with a plate on my belly, so I don't know why I didn't think of trying weighted planks.
Make sure you keep your butt up high and do not let it 'sag'.

Start with ten and work your way up (you can probably do more). Sets of 3-5 for times of 30s-1m are desirable.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:53 PM

255 posts, read 580,146 times
Planks are such a flexible exercise, if you're just doing it on your elbows, you're missing out. We do a lot of different kinds of planks in our core classes: side planks, plank ups (start on your elbows, then push up onto one hand, then the other, then back down the the elbows), elbow planks using an arm to shift a weight underneath you from one side to the other, T planks where you are on the hands instead of elbows where you twist your body into a T with one hand on the ground and the other toward to the ceiling.

If you do a basic elbow plank, try "squeezing" your body, pulling your elbows towards your feet. It puts a lot more stress on abdominal muscles. And/or try taking a foot off the floor.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,659,665 times
Just a point of reference though - the word is "plank" and not "planking." Planking means something somewhat different:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planking_(fad)

I do elbow planks at least a few times every week, as part of my exercise routine. I sometimes do them other days as well. I can't do side-planks - I have scar tissue on one leg and trying to do a plank on that side is very painful. Since I can't do that side, I don't do the other - and when I try, due to lack of practice, I tend to tip over

I can do full-arm planks but I find the elbow planks much more efficient. I sometimes alternate with arm and leg lifts - do one plank, hold it awhile, then lift up as if doing the "up" part of a pushup. Lift one arm and the -opposite- leg off the ground, and hold for a count of 10. Slowly lower, and repeat with the other arm and leg.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,659,691 times
Love it! Just started doing yoga several times a week with a lot of planks, amazing what it does for the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness