Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:00 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Maybe you can find a bumper sticker for that.
I mean if that's on your list of greatest achievements.
You are being discriminatory against people who are non-constipated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 AM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You are being discriminatory against people who are non-constipated!
I'm all for regular bowel evacuation. Go Peristalsis Go!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
I don't understand this at all. Why would runners be "attention whores" any more than people who indulge in any other activity? As far as the stickers, running a marathon is an exceptional feat, not an ordinary one like playing 18 holes of golf, which every golfer (riding in a little cart, no less) expects to do. I've never even seen such a sticker, but if I did, it would seem no more attention-seeking than the icky little stick families I see on the backs of minivans: "Look at us! We have 3 kids and 2 dogs!" or the old "Baby On Board" signs: "Don't drive carefully because YOU might get hurt; I have a baby in the car!" (I say these things as someone who has had both a baby and dogs in the car. )

My son's dad is an ultrarunner and has completed over two dozen 100- and 50-mile races, and my son, who's 24, is training for his first marathon. Most people don't even know they run except the friends they run with. What's the harm in challenging yourself and setting a goal, and maintaining and normal weight and good health at the same time?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
LOL! No, I have zero spandex.
I do have some nice breathing shirts (Under Armour and cheaper versions of that) and better shorts.
OK, you're off the hook for sensible in your athletic clothing choices (e.g. under armor) and for seeing one humor in my previous response.

I've two full marathons and too many half's to remember. <<checks bumper>> Nope. No stickers. If I'm gonna share something that's meaningful to me with others, it's not gonna be through my car's bumper.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
Another thing about runners-- of course there are some who think they are better than everyone but for the most part I have found them to be very friendly and welcoming.

I started running a bit in college. A friend who was a much better runner asked me if I wanted to go for a run. She nearly made the national team for middle distance so obviously running with me was not a challenge for her. But she put the bug in my head and I decided that if she thought I could do it then I probably could. That sounds stupid but it is true.

Fast forward to now. Haven't smoked in 11+ years have run 5 marathons and countless halves. I love running.

I have personally tried to pay it forward by running a small couch to 5k team when my kids were little with other local mothers. Many women ran their first 5k as a result. One is running her first marathon in January.

I have met some of my closest friends through running. I run with a local group and it is very fun and supportive. I have their sticker on my car. The worst case is someone sees it and thinks I'm a jerk. Fine. The best case is they see it and ask me about it. Maybe they were just waiting for someone to tell them they could do it, too.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 AM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
I'm a runner and have a 26.2 sticker on my car. I also have "Spay & neuter", "AT", and one sticker from a veterinary school. It's not done as a "in your face" kind of thing. People will strike up conversations with me in parking lots, it's a great way to meet other like minded individuals.
I see a lot of bumper stickers that are as obnoxious, if not more, than my stickers. If you don't like them - drive on by. But a rant on the Wall St Journal seems a bit ridiculous.
Do you drive a Subaru Forester?

I kid, I kid

Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 AM

297 posts, read 743,305 times
I have a 13.1 magnet on my car. I don't care what people think about it, it's there for me.

I ran it after losing 70 pounds. I hate running while doing it, but love how amazing I feel after. It helps my mood. It makes me feel amazing. I've always been good at academics, but was never athletic. It was a huge accomplishment for me to train and run a half. Running makes me a good role model for my kids, who see me switch from unhealthy and sedentary lifestyle to eating better and exercising regularly and pushing myself.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
"It's there for me -- but I just happen to put it on the back of my car for everyone else to see too." Yeah, OK.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

297 posts, read 743,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"It's there for me -- but I just happen to put it on the back of my car for everyone else to see too." Yeah, OK.
Your psychoanalysis has convinced me you're right. You win.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Do you drive a Subaru Forester?

I kid, I kid
Close..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness