Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times

Advertisements

I am a 6' 0.5" guy who weighs 194 lb.

I want to build some rock hard muscle, and am a pure vegetarian (no meat, mushrooms or raw eggs) by culture.

Whenever I use the full abdomen crunch machine, I am able to work out well and vigorously (20-25 reps) till about 125 lb. However, the moment I cross 130 lb each pound becomes harder and harder to pull. Once I hit 140 lb, I am down to just 5 reps, and by 145 lb I cant even complete 1 successful crunch. I sprained my back trying to crunch above this weight limit. Why do I break down so fast in spite of practicing on this machine for 2.5 years originally starting at 65 lb.

I want to get over this restriction safely and go beyond 145 lb to 155, 165, and so on. How do I achieve this goal during my workout procedure.

My usual workout plan (dependent on biorhythm) on this machine is as follows:

105-110 lb 40-45 times
120-125 lb 20-25 times
125-130 lb 15 times
135-140 lb 5 times
Total reps 80-90 times
Total time 7 minutes with a 1 minute water break between 120-125 lb and 125-130 lb
Consumption of water ~75 ml.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 10:42 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,856 times
...Stop doing bad exercises. Forget the machines.
good mornings, deadlifts, barbell squats, hanging leg raises, hyperextensions, focus there...

Old 11-21-2013, 05:27 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Abs are made in the kitchen. I'm too old to worry if I have a 6 pack or not, but I come pretty close when I do kettlebell swings 3-4 times a week.

Like 2tall said, stop doing bad exercises and stay away from machines. Do front squats and kettlebell swings along with planks and see what happens.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Get off the ab machine - quite possibly one of the worst pieces of gym equipment invented.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
My suggestion is to quit using the ab machine.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:53 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
So, how many reps would be ideal for me if I were to start doing squats and dead lifts for the first time in place of the ab machine. Should I ask for a trainer before starting if I am doing it for the first time.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
So, how many reps would be ideal for me if I were to start doing squats and dead lifts for the first time in place of the ab machine. Should I ask for a trainer before starting if I am doing it for the first time.
Dead lifts, squats, Five sets of five, ramping up. Weighted planks.

No need of a trainer, just read and watch some youtube videos, then film yourself and review your form.

Start off easy for the first two weeks to get your form down good. You do not want a poor form going into this. After that, start off with 60% or so of your 5 rep max.

There are a ton of programs out there for starters, then as you gain more knowledge, you can tweak these things to your own needs. Some programs (depending on your level); starting strength, strong lifts, starr 5x5, madcow 5x5, 5/3/1.

If you are also concerned about hypertrophy, then add some big but boring things at the end of your workout on friday (assuming a m/w/f routine), and as you get better, you can probably do it after every routine.

This thread is going on: //www.city-data.com/forum/exerc...-opinions.html

Keep it basic.

Last edited by boxus; 11-21-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Front squats work your abs more than back squats. Start with goblet squats to practice the movement, then move up to the barbell. Practicing and perfecting your squat is probably the best thing to master in the weight room.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:10 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Get yourself a trainer & follow their direction. What you need is someone to teach you proper form. Many people do a simple bicep curl wrong, let alone a squat. I think it's really hard for an inexperienced person to go into a gym, and attempt weight lifting with good form if they are just doing their own thing, especially after watching a video. Most of the other people in the gym don't know what they are doing either, so I wouldn't rely on that....this is speaking from years of going to the gym. Thankfully, I now work with trainers and am finally making progress.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM
jp4

7 posts, read 7,531 times
There's going to be a learning curve if you're worried right now about "pulling 145 on the ab machine". Understand the different types of lifts and the REASONS why they're necessary. I haven't done an ab workout in probably 6 months to be quite honest, just power lifting, olympic lifts, cardio and auxiliary lifts etc. I could probably plank all day if I wanted to now and do crunches until I get a headache.

It sounds daunting, but you'll notice that there are similarities between every lift and follow the same basic principles. Learn the basic lifts, look up videos on PROPER FORM when doing these lifts, then just go and do them. You need to ingrain the movements into your body and your body will remember them. Then, when you perform new lifts, you'll remember how to properly train and things will start coming more naturally.

Get away from the garbage exercises with garbage equipment. Work smarter, not harder. The main reason why it is VITAL you heed this advice is because the "ab machine" is not natural and you are giving yourself a one-way ticket to ****ing something up. It is what it is.

Pace yourself when learning new lifts, accept the fact that for awhile you're going to be on a learning curve and don't "deserve" to be at an elite level. Be honest with yourself and good luck!

Final thought: don't worry about things like your consumption of water during a workout, just get in the gym and lift the effin weight. Also, how are you supposed to max out on something after you've done 100 reps of that exercise?? These are just simple things that will be left in the dust. You get what you put into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness