Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,150,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
... give advice where it was not requested (unless they are REALLY doing something stupid. In that case, alert staff and let them give the advice.) I would be right in the middle of a routine in prep for a competition, following all my coach's instructions, and some guy would interrupt me and say, "Hey, you know, a girl shouldn't be lifting that much weight. It could hurt her girl parts." Yes. Really. There ARE some women in the gym who do know what they are doing!!!
That's quite rude. I have never seen a guy do that at the Rutgers weight room. But that's mostly because our Women's team is better than Men's team at most sports besides football .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,163,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Good example of what not to do at the gym. You should not be doing 50+ repetitions in 1 set. You need to hire a trainer or read up on how to work out. You need to add weight so that you can do no more than 12 reps in each set. What you are doing has very little benefit.

I also agree with the others who have mentioned reracking the weights. It is not enough just to rerack them, but to also rerack them in the proper place. I hate when I need a 10 lb plate and they are under three 45 lb. plates that I have to remove first.
I do more than 12 reps for a lot of movements and I've been making plenty of progress. I typically aim for 12-15 reps actually. I know you'll say I'm lying or I'm wrong and that's fine

That's another thing not to do.

Don't give unasked for advice, no matter how much you think you know or how much you think someone else is doing it wrong.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM

41,764 posts, read 74,766,593 times
Don't lounge on the equipment.
Wipe the equipment down when you're done with it. Clean up after yourself on the floor and in the locker room.
Don't stand idly in aisles where you'll get in others' way.
Don't stare at other people.
Return the weights to the racks.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM

10,290 posts, read 10,535,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
High reps are for specific purposes and can be very beneficial. Many coaches and trainers recommend them for different results. I do 50 reps/low weight on certain exercises because I'm older and I'm maintaining tone and muscle and not looking to add bulk. I was trained by one of the "Hundred Golden Olympians" who is a judge at all the Olympics and a coach to numerous teams. My concern after competing for 8 years was that I would get that weird post-competition body that some people get. He gave me a whole list of high rep/low weight exercises that have kept me in great shape.

DO
... look out for each other. Some people are too proud to ask for help and may either be lifting dangerously or may need assistance with benching. (Lol - it WAS funny when I was a competition lifter and I'd see some guy on a bench in trouble. I'd scoot over and get ready to lift the weight if he was about to drop it on his larynx... Nothing like having him open his eyes and see this little redhead leaning over him! I would only do it if I thought I could. Otherwise I'd alert the staff to assist or get one of the big guys.)

... clean off your machines

... Bring your own lock for the locker. I hate getting all ready in the locker room and opening a locker that has no lock but is chock full of stuff. Why take up locker space if you're not going to lock it?

... Shower before you jump in the jacuzzi or pool. Yikes! Nuff said.

... Be polite and courteous. You never know when you may need someone's assistance. That means watch the clock when you use a machine. Check if someone else is using it and work out a swap on different machines with them. Be a team player.

... Heavy lifters/Olympic lifters -- if you use chalk and straps, clean up the chalk from the floor and machines and don't leave your straps lying around for someone to trip on them.

Don't (most have been said)
... hog machines
... leave machines dirty
... break a machine and not report it
... leave sweat and spilled water all over the floor. People could slip and get hurt!
... leave other stuff all over the gym floor either. That's what lockers are for! And don't bring things to the gym that you are afraid of losing. Stuffing an iPad or laptop into the locker is just asking for it.
... give advice where it was not requested (unless they are REALLY doing something stupid. In that case, alert staff and let them give the advice.) I would be right in the middle of a routine in prep for a competition, following all my coach's instructions, and some guy would interrupt me and say, "Hey, you know, a girl shouldn't be lifting that much weight. It could hurt her girl parts." Yes. Really. There ARE some women in the gym who do know what they are doing!!!
You don't think that doing 50 reps on a machine isn't hogging it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I do more than 12 reps for a lot of movements and I've been making plenty of progress. I typically aim for 12-15 reps actually. I know you'll say I'm lying or I'm wrong and that's fine

That's another thing not to do.

Don't give unasked for advice, no matter how much you think you know or how much you think someone else is doing it wrong.
Why are you giving me unasked for advice?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM

95 posts, read 203,467 times
I hate it when people smoke in the gym. They shouldn't do that.

Toxic avenger exercise - YouTube

Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,412,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I get annoyed with people who hog the resistance machines and stay seated in between sets so no one can use it.
So it's not just an American thing?

Old 12-01-2013, 11:22 PM

419 posts, read 839,176 times
Don't try to sell things to other members. Life insurance, pyramid schemes, investment ideas, jewelry, etc. That may be your job & source of income, but I am not interested in a sales pitch just because we're spotting each other. And don't try to sell steroids to members either.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,772,419 times
Don't hover over machines/equipment. Asking to work in is really freaking annoying. I'm only doing three sets of ten, you can use something else in the meantime. You're wanting to work in means my workout will be slowed down. There are plenty of other things you can be doing for the 4-5 minutes it will take me to finish. Then it is all yours...

Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,527,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Don't hover over machines/equipment. Asking to work in is really freaking annoying. I'm only doing three sets of ten, you can use something else in the meantime. You're wanting to work in means my workout will be slowed down. There are plenty of other things you can be doing for the 4-5 minutes it will take me to finish. Then it is all yours...
I do 5 resistance machines in my gym and it's usually not very busy as I'm there on weekdays in midmorning. I do two sets at a time on each one so I won't be hogging it if someone else wants it. I then go back and do two more sets on each. It saves no time for others to work in unless by some miracle the seat adjustment and weight is exactly the same.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,706,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is assuming someone knows how long you are going to be using the equipment.

Also, many people have an order which they go and for a good reason; sure as heck am not going to do heavy rows, then pull-ups, then hit the bench. Or someone is not going to do deads before squats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness