Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 PM

32 posts, read 42,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Knock off the carbs. Eat protein, vegetables, a little fresh fruit. Also stop any caffeine (taper off to prevent headache). Sugar should go, too. For the first 2 days, you'll drag, but after that, energy! Not to mention, weight loss begins.
Absolutely. I have done the same thing. I am as strong as an ox now eating a low carb diet and slimming down with weightlifting and moderate cardio, while others beside me on the treadmill look like they are running for their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I started a new job that added a longer commute for me, so it took me a few months to get into a routine. Now that I am fitting in my workout days consistently, my sleep is better, I fall asleep faster and wake up more easily.

That in itself is a huge plus for exercise for me. (Chronic insomniac here)

Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 AM

29 posts, read 32,486 times
You don't need to radically change your body shape to get a confidence surge from exercise. Studies suggest that simply seeing fitness improvements, like running a faster mile or lifting more weight than before, can improve your self-esteem and body image.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
For me it's better sleep, reduced stress and better orgasms

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
It seems to burn off cortisol and adrenaline from the system that might have built up from a stressful day at work. This is particularly true when intervals are introduced into the jog. The end result is a more relaxed body for those who do not, for example, get regular sex or affection from a loved one and need some other way to blow off steam.

Getting off the carbs and eating low glycemic carbs (canned black beans and "beanitos" potato chips are staple carbs in my diet) seems to make the body feel better as well as making it easier to lose weight, since when people eat delicious high carb foods, it creates a craving that leads to more calories per day consumed, though I must admit my craving for a simple bag of pinto bean/cheddar beanitos which I dip in a can of tuna mixed with mayo, mustard, and spices, is pretty high.. though I find I can eat many more low glycemic calories and not gain weight.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I read an article the other day about a research paper. According to the studies that were looked at, one of the benefits of more exercise was actually MORE energy.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:55 PM

551 posts, read 582,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGear9 View Post
By exercising, I get more energy, motivation, and focus. The biggest benefit I've noticed is that regular exercise has triggered other good habits that helps me get in better shape both physically and mentally. Like a ripple effect. You only get one body. Live and learn to make the best of it.
This. When I don't exercise for awhile, it's amazing how lazy and unmotivated I become. Eating well, sleep hygiene, other health concerns, just fall to the wayside. I think, "I don't need to exercise, I can lose weight just tracking calories!" But it's torturous, like I'm sitting around waiting for things to happen. When I do exercise, everything falls into place: eat better so I can work out more efficiently, sleep better, all the good stuff, and presto! Weight falls off easy-peasy.

More importantly, my mood improves drastically, I have more energy than I know what to do with, and I suffer less ailments.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I feel really good when I exercise. I found out a couple of years ago that I'm a strong candidate for diabetes. The lower carb diet along with the exercise has given me a lot more energy and endurance. I've plateaued on the weight loss, but my body has been gaining more definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness