Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times

Advertisements

I don't weigh myself much, its more about how I look. however, I think its silly to get rid of the scale. its a cheap item and it does give a little bit of barely useful information. it more satisfies my curiosity periodically than actually giving me actionable information. but satisfying my curiosity has a value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM

147 posts, read 327,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Sorry. I like my scale. The number is just a measure. The same as knowing that I'm 5 foot 3 or that I wear a 9 1/2 size shoe.

We need numbers to track our progress and current situation. The key is to not develop an emotional connection to the number. The number on my scale has no bearing on who I am as a person.

OP, what is the problem? I don't think there is anything wrong with monitoring your weight on a regular basis. If you are at goal weight, why not give yourself permission to weigh yourself like twice a month as regular check ups. You also want to choose a personal limit of weight gain.

For instance, if your goal is 130 and your weight gain limit is 10 pounds. Then, when you weight yourself twice a month, as long as you stay under 140, you are okay. Don't obsess over 2 or 3 pounds.
The problem is what you said in the 2nd paragraph - not developing an emotional connection to the number. Basing how I feel about myself based on what the number says that day. Or, like I said, feeling "out of control" if I don't weigh myself. Like I'm going to gain 100 lbs if I don't keep an eye on it. That's just not going to happen - I have only gone up and down about 20 in my lifetime.

Interesting array of responses...from those who don't think twice about it, to those who do keep a close watch.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM

260 posts, read 473,134 times
I'm trying to lose weight at the moment and have established my starting weight, but I'm not going to weigh myself again until enough time has passed and I'm sure I have lost a decent amount.
I will go by how my clothes fit.

I will keep my scale as I want to make sure I don't go back up over a certain weight, as it can creep on and I never quite realise how heavy I'm getting unless I weigh occasionally. I was a bit shocked at the number the last time I got on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with weighing yourself occasionally unless you have had an eating disorder and they've advised you not to, or if it always makes you upset.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
The problem is what you said in the 2nd paragraph - not developing an emotional connection to the number. Basing how I feel about myself based on what the number says that day. Or, like I said, feeling "out of control" if I don't weigh myself. Like I'm going to gain 100 lbs if I don't keep an eye on it. That's just not going to happen - I have only gone up and down about 20 in my lifetime.

Interesting array of responses...from those who don't think twice about it, to those who do keep a close watch.
Not developing emotional connection to the number is a choice. You have to choose to give up that connection. You have to learn to love yourself unconditionally.

Have you had issues with an eating disorder? You mentioned feeling "out of control" and that usually is a sign of something deeper.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:23 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie4530 View Post
I've tried a few times, unsuccessfully, to stop weighing myself and just go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. But it never fails, I always go back to it. I reached my goal weight and would like to get to a point in my life where the number on the scale just isn't important, but I don't want to feel like I'm losing control, either.

Anyone break the scale habit for good?
I have not read all the posts but I will comment ...

If you are working out at ANY level what the scale reads is pretty pointless, go by how YOU feel and how your clothes feel ON you.

Muscle mass is heavier than fat but takes up MUCH less space, so you can actually GAIN weight but be few sizes smaller.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:46 PM

322 posts, read 286,342 times
I think the easiest way is to get rid of the scale. My scale stopped working so I threw it away. It's only when I am at the doctors that I am weighed, and that's like once a year or so. It can become an obsession with the scale right there to constantly weigh yourself, but when you get rid of it, it can take a few weeks or so, but you grow accustomed to life without it and you don't have that nagging sense of "Oh, how much do I weigh now, let me look".

Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Muscle mass is heavier than fat but takes up MUCH less space, so you can actually GAIN weight but be few sizes smaller.
That's a myth.

Does Muscle Weigh More Than Fat? - Health - MSN Healthy Living

Muscle Weighs More than Fat - Fitness Myths: Lies About Cardio, Strength Training, Muscle, and Fat - Shape Magazine

Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
I don't weigh myself much, its more about how I look. however, I think its silly to get rid of the scale. its a cheap item and it does give a little bit of barely useful information. it more satisfies my curiosity periodically than actually giving me actionable information. but satisfying my curiosity has a value.
This post pretty much sums up how I feel about it. Good post CaptainNJ.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
no

i always weigh myself 3-4 times a week

Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Nope that puppy keeps me on track and I agree if it is down I know I'm making the right choices and if it is up then I know to cut back even more ....this method has worked for me so far and Im keeping it up and i plan to stay on it until I read my goal weight . after my goal has been met I will weight myself twice a week .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness