Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 06:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times

Advertisements

I'm in relatively good shape, but I started going to the gym a month ago because I am trying to build some strength. I've been hitting the weights twice a week, but due to my work schedule its easier to go on Saturday and Sunday. I'm always very sore on Sunday night and Monday. Is this routine okay or would it be better to go on say, Wednesday and Saturday? I'm sure going on Saturday-Sunday is still better than nothing at all so maybe I'm overthinking this. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
I would spread out your sessions in order to let yourself recover. It will be more difficult for the body to recover and and gain strength using current routine. If you divide your Sat and Sun into split sessions, i.e. upper body on Sat and say core and lower body on Sun., that will work better. Better still would be 4 sessions a week, split as described. I advocate high intensity single set, all out gun-to-the-head sets once appropriate weight load is determined. Try a 4-2-4 lift. 4 seconds up, 2 seconds in place, and 4 seconds down. This will maximize your training and reduce the amount of time you spend in the gym.

Multi joint, compound, push and pull. Minimize isolation moves. Remember you can modify your routine with more sets, movement patterns, later if you get ambitious.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 PM

38 posts, read 62,706 times
Solovino1 pretty much says it all.

Just want to add, muscle sore is common for gym goers. Don't worry, it will go away when your body gets used to the routine. In the meantime, I recommend you try a few methods that relief muscle soreness: Sore Muscles Remedies That Actually

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solovino1 View Post
I would spread out your sessions in order to let yourself recover. It will be more difficult for the body to recover and and gain strength using current routine. If you divide your Sat and Sun into split sessions, i.e. upper body on Sat and say core and lower body on Sun., that will work better. Better still would be 4 sessions a week, split as described. I advocate high intensity single set, all out gun-to-the-head sets once appropriate weight load is determined. Try a 4-2-4 lift. 4 seconds up, 2 seconds in place, and 4 seconds down. This will maximize your training and reduce the amount of time you spend in the gym.

Multi joint, compound, push and pull. Minimize isolation moves. Remember you can modify your routine with more sets, movement patterns, later if you get ambitious.
The problem is, at least for now, I simply don't have time to go during the week after my 3 hour roundtrip commute and dealing w/family obligations. It's either Sat-Sun or nothing at all. I know very little about exercises, so I follow my electronic "personal trainer". It tells me what exercise to do, how many reps, how much weight, and even the pace at which I should lift-hold-put down the weights. Usually 7 different exercises, 3-4 sets, 8 reps each.

I suppose I should try to work in a quick 15 minute home workout during the weekdays though. Any suggestions on simple home workouts during the week? I have a rowing machine, dumbells and a dumbell bench.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:56 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
If you are getting enough sleep, nutrition, stress management, you are doing fine with 2 sessions on weekend. One of the primary principles is that something is far better than nothing. You can do a whole heck of a lot with some bells and a bench.

One example, is man makers. This one will gas you out and provide a full body work out in very little time.

Reebok CrossFit ONE Movement Demo "Man Maker" - YouTube

Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,406 times
Split it up, and stick to whole body compound movements.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Try for three days with a 24 hr interval between session 1 and 2.
Strength Standards
or
StrongLifts 5x5: Ultimate Strength & Muscle Building Program StrongLifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness