Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:25 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times

Advertisements

I was talking to one of my friends earlier about weight training to help on the exercise side of weight loss. I'm a guy so I don't really know how higher estrogen and lower testosterone affects the body when weight training. I was wondering if you guys could give me some resources and advice from personal experience to pass on. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Your question is not clear. Are you asking about women and weight training?

Women can weight train and do heavy lifting like anyone else. It will yield good results. Hormones have nothing to do with it. Women have muscles also. Those muscles behave like all other muscles as far as calories burning and development.

Women will not necessarily get bulky. That's pretty much a myth. You might want to go to a body builder's site for more info.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:04 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,424 times
Yes I'm asking about women and weight training.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:18 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Yes - I've read many articles about the benefits that women get from lifting weights. It will get them stronger and more tone. They don't have as much testosterone as men do, so they will never get bulky.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Women can and should lift weights. Get her doing all the basic lifts that any guys do. Curls, tris, military press, flys .. basically everything.

The only way she's going to turn into the hulk is if she does roids.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,153 times
tell them they need to be carefull or they will end up looking like this

Female Bodybuilders Pump Room - 2013 Arnold - YouTube

Old 01-13-2014, 01:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
tell them they need to be carefull or they will end up looking like this

Female Bodybuilders Pump Room - 2013 Arnold - YouTube
And don't try to play mini-golf or you might end up like Tiger Woods too. Do you seriously think that a woman can look like that without 20 years of lifting and steroids? That is the Arnold.

How about you google Nicole Nagrani instead, and that is where a woman will get if she puts in a good 5 years hard work without drugs. Still going to warn them?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,637,605 times
please ignore that idiot who posted 'roided up female bodybuilders. That muscle mass is not naturally acquired.

Personally, I think Jessica Biel has it down and is the ideal example of what a woman who throws some weight around ends up looking like.

Point her in the direction of this facebook group, and let her be the judge or whether or not squats/compound lifts are something women should do. Hint: YES! PLEASE!!

Keep in mind that some of these girls worked incredibly hard to look the way they do and took it to a bit of an extreme, and it doesn't happen overnight.

https://www.facebook.com/yeahshesquats

Last edited by tofur; 01-13-2014 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM

209 posts, read 465,992 times
Testosterone is primary androgenic hormone is muscular development. Age among men and being female are the limiting factors in the production of testosterone. That said, this is an extremely complex subject with many variables. Adaptive fitness gains are directly dependent upon genetics, age, sex, adequate nutrition, rest, stress, and training. All are synergistic in determining the body's ability to adapt. Add in the law of diminishing returns. Beyond a certain point it will take more and more training to receive fewer and fewer results.

The type of training used to get a goal, weather it be general strength, power, flexibility, or muscle building is specific. That thing we train for is the thing we get based on the limitations stated in the preceding paragraph.

That's the long, somewhat indirect answer to your question. The specifics are that resistance exercise will assist in changing the body's percentage of lean to fat tissue for either sex. The best kind of resistance training for the general population? Based on research from the American College of Sports Medicine (and I can't find the link), is single set, all out maximal effort, multi-joint, compound exercises. For every push, a pull wherever possible. This program provides the most efficient methodology for the general population not engaged a specific requirement, i.e. sports participants, cops, firefighters, military, etc. I would add in one or more doses a week of high intensity or HIIT interval training to get VO2 max up aid fat burning along with appropriate flexibility and mobility exercises.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,840,768 times
Your friend should talk to a certified trainer who has experience working with females & weight loss. If she's a newer exerciser, she may be able to find what she needs at a big box gym/trainer. But if she has a little experience she may want to work with someone more experienced. Be sure she does more than read the promises on a flyer or a website. Talk to the trainer, and talk to people who have been successful with that program.

My gym/trainer serves as an advisor to the Biggest Loser, so we receive nutritional plans, products (if we want to go that route), programming, flexibiity work, correction on form and plenty of ass kicking and encouragement when needed. I love it! We've had a quite a few success stories. Several of these women have gone on to compete in figure contests. Mr/Ms Natural California. All have placed in the top 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness